Radio Display is Out!!!!! Will A Dorman 586-001 aftermarket power supply board work. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Display is Out!!!!! Will A Dorman 586-001 aftermarket power supply board work.

thanks, great job on the write-up and pics. hopefully the new board will continue to work. i saw that AutoZone shows it with a lifetime warranty, so perhaps it will last. this thread should be added to the STICKY's.

unfortunately, it doesn't appear this board will work for my MACH w/factory cd changer and sub woofer, but it will work for a lot of people. thanks again.

I think autozone offers a limited lifetime warranty. Which means it's 12 months which is dumb I don't get it.

Also what kind of Mach radio do you have is the 6 cd in the head unit or is it the 6 cd changer in the center console. If it's the Mach head unit with the 6 cd changer in the center console that's what I have and the power supply board is an exact match to the oem board.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think autozone offers a limited lifetime warranty. Which means it's 12 months which is dumb I don't get it.

Also what kind of Mach radio do you have is the 6 cd in the head unit or is it the 6 cd changer in the center console. If it's the Mach head unit with the 6 cd changer in the center console that's what I have and the power supply board is an exact match to the oem board.

when i worked at Autozone, "limited lifetime warranty" meant lifetime warranty of the original part purchased. the "limited" part meant limited to the part, so if a warrantied alternator failed and burned up your wiring harness, only the alternator is replaced. the AZ trick is that you want to always purchase the replacement warranty part and then return the old one later and get you money back under warranty. if you bring your old one in and swap it for a new one, the new part has no warranty. that's how they get you.

as far as the Mach h/u - yes the 6 cd changer in the console. so i guess this board would work. great!

Mine decided to crap out the other day. I very seldom listen to much of anything but it aggravates me it isn't working. I think I miss the clock, lol.

Mine decided to crap out the other day. I very seldom listen to much of anything but it aggravates me it isn't working. I think I miss the clock, lol.

yeah, i'm kinda the same way, but i have to have a clock. besides, if something is there it just has to work (its an ocd thing).

yeah, i'm kinda the same way, but i have to have a clock. besides, if something is there it just has to work (its an ocd thing).

I'm the same way. If it's supposed to work and it doesn't I get aggravated even if I don't use it, lol. Seems to get worse the older I get.

okay, i removed my old power board (easy to do with your directions/pics). like yours, mine looks cooked. my board looks identical to yours. so i guess i'll order a replacement Dorman board. the best price i see on-line is around $52. this will save me a few dollars over sending it out, plus i prefer to fix things myself whenever possible.

edit: i just ordered the Dorman board off Amazon. got it for under $39 delivered (using Amazon bonus points). it might even be here by tomorrow afternoon. i'm looking forward to installing it.

okay, i removed my old power board (easy to do with your directions/pics). like yours, mine looks cooked. my board looks identical to yours. so i guess i'll order a replacement Dorman board. the best price i see on-line is around $52. this will save me a few dollars over sending it out, plus i prefer to fix things myself whenever possible.

edit: i just ordered the Dorman board off Amazon. got it for under $39 delivered (using Amazon bonus points). it might even be here by tomorrow afternoon. i'm looking forward to installing it.

Awesome man I didn't even think to look on amazon. I guess I'm just an ebay'er haha. Mine still working I had a lot of running around today and it felt good to start my EX and see that display light up

Also I didn't know that's what a limited lifetime warranty meant. I just just couldn't pay 80 bucks for the board.

Also Monday I'm going to call Dorman and see how the 12 month warranty works.

What kind of unit. Basic/Premium/ or Mach?

It should say on the bottom.

I'm guessing basic. It doesn't have the plug ins for the amp and stuff. Nothing on bottom. But came out of a Sport.

Just curious... with the current quantum leap in this technology, (i.e. Pioneer AVH-P2400BT , and many other equivalent units in the $200-$300 range) I don't understand why anyone would spend a nickel on that antiquated technology.

pioneer p2400bt.jpg

Are these double din aftermarket radios plug and play for 2nd Gen Explorers?

Dunno, but I doubt it. All I can tell you is that I upgraded from the original Pioneer CD6 in my '04' Sport Trac. It required 2 Metra adapters, a 5volt buck regulator, a little bit of head scratching, and some wire splicing. Fortunately, with the adapters, all the splicing was done on the bench.
I guess a lot would depend on the type of radio you currently have.
You can view the effort I went to on this post.

Yes, they make a adapter the plugs into your harness and the you wire that to your new radio, which stupid simple...red to red, yellow to yellow, etc. Over the years I have learned the trick is you wire it all ahead of time then just install it like a factory radio. Some times there can be fit issues, but there are frame surround kits or for the double din in 2 gens I believe you need to open the space up a bit. I had to do it in a '04 escape but it was minimal and you could have put the factory unit back in if needed, and never known.

I have aftermarkets in all of my cars except the Focus, which is because of SYNC and the top display...It is doable, I just don't feel like messing with it and the sound isn't too bad.

I actually went to aftermarket mostly because of plunging a audio source and bluetooth for the phone calls.

well, i bought the Dorman power board and installed it today. it did not fix my display. still doesn't work (the radio still works perfectly). So i'll returning the board for a refund and will send the radio out for repair. too bad, seemed like a good easy fix.

Here is my write-up on replacing the power supply board in my 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer. The Mach and Premium setup is the same except the premium will not have a sub out connection..

Is it ok if I make a how to thread out of this post?

Is it ok if I make a how to thread out of this post?

the only thing i would add to the write-up is regarding the two black plugs that connect to the bottom of the face plate. you have to be very gentle unplugging them and they're a little tricky to get reconnected during assembly, because they aren't really supported by anything. other than that it's a great write-up.

Just to let everyone know that the display is still working in my radio and its been about three weeks now.

I paid for a repair by one of the people offering the service via this site. "Lifetime" warranty apparently means for the life of the repair. It died after 3 weeks and the "service" would not respond to my e-mails so buyer beware. And no I won't name them.

I purchased the dorman replacement from Rock Auto for just under $50 so I'll see how long it lasts.

I paid for a repair by one of the people offering the service via this site. "Lifetime" warranty apparently means for the life of the repair. It died after 3 weeks and the "service" would not respond to my e-mails so buyer beware. And no I won't name them.

I purchased the dorman replacement from Rock Auto for just under $50 so I'll see how long it lasts.

I've had mine in for about 6 weeks now and it's still holding strong and just as bright as the day I put it in.

I just bought one from Amazon for $44.57, free shipping. It should be here next Monday.

Looking forward to seeing the display on the 99 Mounty I bought last week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had mine in for about 6 weeks now and it's still holding strong and just as bright as the day I put it in.

question: do you recall, when your display was out did your buttons light up?

Back