How to get better Gas Mileage? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get better Gas Mileage?

I too drive more "spirited". With gas prices more affordable, I can fill up more without it hurting too bad. lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on the highway, as my console reads I avg 28-30.x mpg

I have a '99 Eddie Bauer, V6, RWD
I keep it mostly empty inside to lighten the weight
BUT two things have made the biggest mpg change:

A) about two years ago I switched from stock tire size to LT235/85R16 which have a max psi of 85 and I keep them between 75-80psi. It's a harder ride but either I got used to it or it's not "that bad" different
&
B)I started driving with the acceleration of a semi, staying to the right side of the right lane, brake gradually to pace yellow to red lights, stop speeding, and when I'm on expswy around town I set cruise to 50 instead of 55 then out on the highway I set cruise between 60-63mph - staying to the right side of the right lane for speeders to go around

Aside, I have a K&N air filter (not really any difference but at least I don't have to change filter again), my alignment is good and vehicle runs alright

SPEED IS THE BIGGEST MPG FACTOR
Even that show mythbusters did an episode comparing an suv riding windows down compared to a/c on/off. Their end result is windows down over a/c but speed and acceleration was the greatest factor. They were on a closed nascar track on good weather to have as much of all things being equal.

Some people, I have heard, say to buy one size smaller tire as it has less rotational resistance as in physics it takes less energy/work to turn a smaller wheel. However, others contend to go with a larger tire as per revolution it covers (rolls) a longer distance leading to less revolutions to destination. These being the only contending factors, their impact or differing impacts are minimal. So, I then gathered the hypothesis of a similar diameter tire having less rolling resistance would effect mechanical work to cause tire rotation if slower acceleration was purposefully accepted as a decrease in rotational factor of someone starting off fast and quickly taking off. - - -What I found is: A) with the new tires and the Explorer in neutral, I can push it from park and roll it down my street with one finger (index or thumb) with minimal effort, and B) the engine still engages the final overdrive gear - to drive shaft - through rear differential at the same gear ratios (50mph still = 1500rpm)

Ok, I'm a dork. When in school I went to Physics Olympics. I designed a braking system and it wasn't implemented. Oh well. I could explain all the above stuff more but I'd need an easel. :)

Someone else previously posted:
3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Has anyone with AWD/4wd ever taken out the rear drive shaft???

If the vehicle is in 4wd High or AWD but you took out the rear drive shaft then all power would be directed to the front two wheels - effectively making it front wheel drive.

So, then, can someone get a drive shaft from a junk yard, cut it about 6-12" long from the rear axle and then weld/make a shaft adapter to mount a forklift motor and feed it with a couple deep cell batteries? You might have to run a bigger alternator, or possibly not have batteries. You'd get on the highway and have it drive/propel the vehicle, while you roll the interstate in Neutral.
Since the engine's idling, it's powering all on-board systems. The running alternator is sending juice to the motor which would power the rear wheels (which would not have much resistance as once you're already moving it wont take much to keep it going). -Or, go with 2-3 deep cells, the electric motor powers around town as you roll about in neutral for other working systems?

That is about what my driving is like except I only do about 300 miles a month. Only the odd round trip of an hour or less. Getting around 21.5 mpg or 17 mpg after conversion to U.S. numbers.

Peter

Hey Peter, are you sure you're not getting more than 21.5 after conversion. The readout in my last car was mpg in US gallons, meaning I was getting better mpg (a higher number) per Canadian gallons. So if you're getting a 21.5 mpg readout you're actually getting like 25 mpg imperial mpg.

I assume my display is mpg US gallons?

Unless you are already converting from l/100km ? :)

I agree about the size of gas tank. Was really surprised with such a small tank on this size of SUV. Had a Windstar van with a 26 gallon tank. As far as MPG I am happy with Explorer. Don't do a lot of short trip driving or city driving, so that helps with my mileage. Averaging 20.4 MPG by instrument cluster readout. When I checked MPG myself that figure is about a half gallon lower. Won't complain about that.

Hey Peter, are you sure you're not getting more than 21.5 after conversion. The readout in my last car was mpg in US gallons, meaning I was getting better mpg (a higher number) per Canadian gallons. So if you're getting a 21.5 mpg readout you're actually getting like 25 mpg imperial mpg.

I assume my display is mpg US gallons?

Unless you are already converting from l/100km ? :)
The display in your Explorer can be set to either L/100km or MPG (Imperial). My display varies between 12.8 and 13.2 L/100km so I took 13L/100km which I converted to 2.86 gallon/62 miles or 21.7 mpg (Imperial) less 20% for the smaller US gallon = 17.34 mpg (U.S.). I think that's correct.

Peter

The display in your Explorer can be set to either L/100km or MPG (Imperial). My display varies between 12.8 and 13.2 L/100km so I took 13L/100km which I converted to 2.86 gallon/62 miles or 21.7 mpg (Imperial) less 20% for the smaller US gallon = 17.34 mpg (U.S.). I think that's correct.

Peter

Hmm. I haven't done any manual calculations yet, but my LS was in mpg US, or l/100km, switchable. I'll let you know when I do the calculation. So I might be getting worse mpg than I thought, if my readout is in US, and not imperial gallons.

BTW - the shorter your trips, the more advantage you get from using a block heater in the winter. With a modern V8 I consistently got 2+ mpg US in the winter (along with the other advantages), and I had a 25+ minute commute each way. Garaged when home, outside at work. I use mine any time temps get below 50's F. Have for nearly 40 years straight. ;) Even though modern block heaters are not as effective as older types.

I have a lot of accumulated info, mostly empirical (I record pretty well every drop of gas that goes into anything :D), but some anecdotal, on this topic that I will post in the future when I get a chance. It's one of the most underrated and underused accessory on a car, particularly in areas that have winters near, and below, freezing. IMHO.

After about 2500 miles, mine started going to the pumps less... The small tank still keeps me going more to the pumps than I ever had with the Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8. Love the vehicle without a doubt!

So you are saying in your 2015 you have 2500 miles now? Just asking as I hit 1200 miles and our 14 sport is getting 18-19 mpg. 18 when my husband drives it and 19 when I do. (I drive A LOT further than my husband does).

I have noticed when filling with premium versus mid-grade there is a difference, just enough to notice .5 per gallon.

So you are saying in your 2015 you have 2500 miles now? Just asking as I hit 1200 miles and our 14 sport is getting 18-19 mpg. 18 when my husband drives it and 19 when I do. (I drive A LOT further than my husband does).

I have noticed when filling with premium versus mid-grade there is a difference, just enough to notice .5 per gallon.

I have close to 3000 miles on it now and have noticed a slight difference... I've also been using 91 octane, which is the highest we have around here.

We get almost 1 mpg better with 93, not enough to make it pay for itself but the EX does seem more responsive.

The computer is always off by at least .7mpg and often a full mpg.

Our last tank showed 18.7 mpg and hand calculated to 17.7 mpg. That's city, back roads and hwy. the wife also likes to take lunch in the EX and she will run the engine for few minutes to warm up the seats and the inside a bit.

That's also E10 gas. I haven't tried it on the EX yet, on our Jeep we found that we get another mpg by using non-ethanol gas. Will non-ethanol 93 make a 2 mpg increase over E-10 87 octane, I don't know... non-ethanol 93 is about 80 cents a gallon more than E-10 87.

I have close to 3000 miles on it now and have noticed a slight difference... I've also been using 91 octane, which is the highest we have around here.

Wow! I had stopped driving mine to preserve some wear and tear. I'm looking forward to seeing if my sport improves with mileage. is your driving highway?

fuel milage

I filled up in Elizabethtown, Ky last week. Drove to Columbia, KY (my home). Before I came up the hill towards my drive way I had 29.6 mpg. Its about 62 miles, some steep hills. I was driving between 55 and 60. Going down a hill I would speed up to about 70. and let it pull itself up the other side of hill. Just enough gas to keep speed to 55 without kicking down a gear. When I go from Columbia to Bowling Green running 70 75 I get about 24. :)

The answer to the question is easy...drive slower!

There seems to be a bit of fluctuation between Ex owners and I just wish I knew what the reason would be.

Geography, climate, weather, driving style, tires, cargo weight, etc.

My guess would be climate and driving style.

Peter

Well I am very happy to report (all Canadians using the MPG function will be happy too) that the mpg display is in US gallons, not imperial. I did a series of mileage calculations recently to confirm that. So you are actually getting 2-3 mpg better than you thought you were!

I also confirmed my suspicions that any discrepancies between what you calculate your mileage as, and what the display indicates are likely due to the vagaries of manual calculation process (temperature, pump shut-off point, slope vehicle etc) and not an error in the trip computer. If you calculate it over a long enough time-period these will even out and equal the trip computer.

The number and quantity of high figures were offset by the number and quantity of the low figures in my sample calculations. While it was possible that the Ex is an exception, my experience in the past is that these computers are as dead accurate as you could reasonable expect.

I suggest using it to check the accuracy of your calculations (as I have done) and not your calculations to check its accuracy.

-Brian. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've noticed that my 15 holds higher RPM's when just driving normally. I have to let go of the gas pedal, let it shift, then reapply the gas. For whatever reason it doesn't want to grab that higher gear on the highway when you've reached your speed. Annoying.

Back