Confused. Which sensor is which??? PO715 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confused. Which sensor is which??? PO715

Chris Harrach

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
I got a PO715 code showing up. The read out said it was the Transmission Speed Sensor causing the problem. It read:"P0715."Transmission Speed Sensor circuit condition. Vehicle speed above 15 MPH while transmission output shaft speed below 60 RPM. Possible cause Failed transmission speed sensor or electrical problem" I got a what I thought was a "Transmission Speed Sensor" (at least that's what in came up as in the AZ computer as. See link below.) & put it in, but problem persisted. However I'm not sure the sensor was the correct one. (It's a 5R55e transmission with a Borg-Warner 4405 Transfer Case.) The sensor I put in is alternately referred to as a Speedometer Sensor, however, I have no problem with my speedometer. It works fine

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU1019/image/3/

So the question is could this be the sensor causing the problem, or is there another sensor on this transmission causing this? What about the OSS sensor, or the input speed sensor? And finally, where are they located on the transmission?? Thanks in advance for any & all answers. Very frustrated & confused right now. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I can help with is the OSS sensor is towards rear of transmission, on the left, up near the top. TSS sensor is internal, near the center support IIRC. I do want to ask has your truck had the ODS sensor delete?

All I can help with is the OSS sensor is towards rear of transmission, on the left, up near the top. TSS sensor is internal, near the center support IIRC. I do want to ask has your truck had the ODS sensor delete?

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen the OD light in years. Depressing the button on the gear shifter to turn it on or off does nothing. Where would that sensor be located, and would it have anything to do with the tranny shift problems & the PO715 error code?

The ODS sensor is forward from the OSS. Chris I have not done the delete on my rig so sorry I don't know much more, but it is from an old TSB, maybe googoo that it will list symptoms.

ODS Sensor delete

The ODS sensor is forward from the OSS. Chris I have not done the delete on my rig so sorry I don't know much more, but it is from an old TSB, maybe googoo that it will list symptoms.

I don't think I've had the ODS sensor deleted, but I can't be sure until I get up under the truck. I did find the TSB you referred to, so I'm assuming that the sensor should be deleted if it hasn't already. The article I found read as this:

Article No.
97-15-28 07/21/97
TRANSMISSION - 5R55E - OVERDRIVE DRUM SPEED
SENSOR DELETED - SERVICE TIP LIGHT TRUCK:
1997 AEROSTAR, EXPLORER, RANGER ISSUE:
The Overdrive Drum Speed (ODS) sensor has been deleted as a running change. This may cause the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to receive stray signals from the non functional ODS sensor that may affect the operation of the transmission.

ACTION:

Disconnect the ODS sensor connector, Cut off the connector end and splice the wires together. This should reduce the possibility of stray signals affecting the operation of the transmission. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details. SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the ODS sensor connector from the sensor.
2. Cut off the connector end.
3. Splice and solder the two (2) wires together.
4. Shrink wrap the wires and secure the wires to the harness. For proper wire splicing techniques, refer to the Augat Connector Repair Kit Manual.
5. Leave the sensor installed if using the original case. New service cases will not have an ODS sensor hole in the case.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F77Z-7005-DD Transmission case OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

971528A Eliminate Overdrive Drum 0.3 Hr.
Speed (ODS) Sensor
Connector As Outlined DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7005 12 OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 504000

So although the article doesn't go into specifics as to what adverse effects the ODS sensor has on the transmission, it did say to eliminate it. I can only conclude from the article that the ODS became a redundant part, or it's malfunctioning was best addressed by deleting it and not having it wouldn't adversely affect the operation of the transmission.

I'll go ahead and see if mine is still connected, and unplug it to see if that will solve my problem. if not I'll have to bite the bullet and rebuild the tranny. Not looking forward to that.

Many thanks for your replies & advice drdoom. :thumbsup:

Regards, Chris H.:salute:

You're welcome Chris, sorry I don't know a lot, but hopefully some of the Masters will chime in. Best wishes.

Back