Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017

I also didn't pay the $150 for the LED foglamp option on my '16, and replaced the crappy yellow foglamp bulb with a cooler (in temperature) LED bulb for $30. Should have come with LED bulbs from the factory.
LED fogs were shown as "late availability" for the 2016 models and standard on the 2017 models. Not sure why they weren't available at the start of the 2016 production.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LED fogs were shown as "late availability" for the 2016 models and standard on the 2017 models. Not sure why they weren't available at the start of the 2016 production.

Peter

Easy money for FORD at $150 :)

so as a former integrator I have to say a few things that just rankles my skin.

1) Halogens are incandescent - it's just a different gas in the glass bottle.
2) HID's while great are fairly complex in correct use. In that they need a high voltage start, and requires a voltage control of fairly tight limits to keep clear light output. They are expensive.

3) the LED low beams on the explorer are infact FANTASIC. they produce cleaner light at a higher LUX on target that previous options and do so with a slight power improvement. slight. Yes some HID's are also as good but the ford LED implementation does such with lower power. AND it is setup to make a simple adaptive lighting system by pivoting the LED element in the housing.

4) the high beams so to speak are really meant to be flasher beams for flash to pass or other signalling.

One thing I will agree however is that the fog lights should be been a better implementation - it was sort of an after thought. OH and they really should be 3200-3500K yellow in color, but that's a rant for another day.

Also you will find quite a few companies today have LED primary lighting in cars far more expensive that the ford - and they do so with additional led elements just for the low beams. One even going so far as to need LED in projector arrays. Expect to see the lincoln version (if there is going to be one) to move over to a all LED forward light array with adaptive beam movement.

so as a former integrator I have to say a few things that just rankles my skin.

1) Halogens are incandescent - it's just a different gas in the glass bottle.
2) HID's while great are fairly complex in correct use. In that they need a high voltage start, and requires a voltage control of fairly tight limits to keep clear light output. They are expensive.

3) the LED low beams on the explorer are infact FANTASIC. they produce cleaner light at a higher LUX on target that previous options and do so with a slight power improvement. slight. Yes some HID's are also as good but the ford LED implementation does such with lower power. AND it is setup to make a simple adaptive lighting system by pivoting the LED element in the housing.

4) the high beams so to speak are really meant to be flasher beams for flash to pass or other signalling.

One thing I will agree however is that the fog lights should be been a better implementation - it was sort of an after thought. OH and they really should be 3200-3500K yellow in color, but that's a rant for another day.

Also you will find quite a few companies today have LED primary lighting in cars far more expensive that the ford - and they do so with additional led elements just for the low beams. One even going so far as to need LED in projector arrays. Expect to see the lincoln version (if there is going to be one) to move over to a all LED forward light array with adaptive beam movement.

Cool insight. Thanks for sharing. Yes, I know that foglamps are supposed to be yellow in color to be more visible in actual fog, it just looks ridiculous.

Oh crap you mean I can't use the lower " Fog" lights when there is no fog..I used them every morning until yesterday.

Oh crap you mean I can't use the lower " Fog" lights when there is no fog..I used them every morning until yesterday.
There are quite a few members hear that don't agree with their usage in conjunction with low beams when condition don't warrant it. In fact there are several manufacturers now that have eliminated fog lights due to the abusive use of them. The topic has been discussed here before. Here is an interesting article that shows they are not alone. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj80pOZqf3OAhWLKCYKHUf0AcYQFggiMAE&url=http://www.topix.com/forum/city/natchitoches-la/TIQ2CSJ5RFK59COT2&usg=AFQjCNGoRX-oTROn2Egv5g_iiSia0g8beA&sig2=vTSa68ULgDeX45p8QheE9Q

yes I'll be sure to report you to the proper authorities..

My point was if you wanted useful fog lights in real fog they need to be yellow to cut though better. white highlights fog. not a 6500K+ or blue/purple color could work as well.

With modern lamps I'd like to setup a car with user selectable white and yellow fogs. so you can have show and function with the press of a switch out of the same unit.

yes I'll be sure to report you to the proper authorities..
In some areas in the States it actually is illegal to use fogs in conjunction with low beams unless you are in a situation of diminished visibility, not counting nightime.;)

Peter

my biggest issue with running both (and I do run both on my 4 door family car) is when people put those small but high lumen lamps in the fogs that are as bright or brighter than their standard beams.

then run both with lots of extra light scatter out of the fog area - that's illegal per DOT spec. Running both at the same time though in general I don't mind. it can light up more field if done right.

Other than on highway where you're driving fast enough to overdrive the fog light beam (per DOT spec), then country backroads the wider pattern of the fogs under your normal beams can be very useful. which is why I do it - but my car is setup for it.

the explorer's fog lights are basically useless, not with a different bulb/emitter in there it could help and I might do that some day.

In some areas in the States it actually is illegal to use fogs in conjunction with low beams unless you are in a situation of diminished visibility, not counting nightime.;)

Peter

I was trying to goon naturedly rib the guy. I mean if they actual enforced some of the real DOT requirements on cars on the road - nationwide - and forced people to fix their crap we'd all be safer.

but I digress. using the fog with the standard beams is not that big an issue.

however don't get me started with morons and the LED light bars.

I was trying to goon naturedly rib the guy. I mean if they actual enforced some of the real DOT requirements on cars on the road - nationwide - and forced people to fix their crap we'd all be safer.

but I digress. using the fog with the standard beams is not that big an issue.

however don't get me started with morons and the LED light bars.
:D

I switched the stock halogen high beam bulb in my 2016 Sport to an LED bulb for $45. I am extremely happy with the results.

I never used the halogen high beams due to the stock LED low beams being soo good, but I do use my LED high beams now. They are so much brighter than the stock halogen bulbs.

I also have the LED foglight option and am happy with the output. I run them with the low beams and can tell a significant difference with them on vs. off. Do I need to use them 99% of the time, No, but I like the extra light.

I switched the stock halogen high beam bulb in my 2016 Sport to an LED bulb for $45. I am extremely happy with the results.

I never used the halogen high beams due to the stock LED low beams being soo good, but I do use my LED high beams now. They are so much brighter than the stock halogen bulbs.

I also have the LED foglight option and am happy with the output. I run them with the low beams and can tell a significant difference with them on vs. off. Do I need to use them 99% of the time, No, but I like the extra light.

I have read this thread and a couple of others and done a bit of research on my own as well (while shopping around, haha) and I still don't have an answer I'm 100% comfortable with so I'll ask you...did the swap to LED high beams require anything other than plug and play (like resistors, etc)?

We live out in the country and there are a lot of deer out here and while I agree the low beam LEDs are amazing there are times I'd like to see just a bit farther out to give me that extra second or two to slow down to avoid having a furry hood ornament. :)

I have read this thread and a couple of others and done a bit of research on my own as well (while shopping around, haha) and I still don't have an answer I'm 100% comfortable with so I'll ask you...did the swap to LED high beams require anything other than plug and play (like resistors, etc)?

We live out in the country and there are a lot of deer out here and while I agree the low beam LEDs are amazing there are times I'd like to see just a bit farther out to give me that extra second or two to slow down to avoid having a furry hood ornament. :)

It was 100% plug and play. It would have taken 15 minutes if I could have fit my hand in the tight space. I cut a small opening in the dust cap to run the wires for the ballast.

Instructions:
Remove dust cap
remove stock bulb
replace with LED bulb
connect wires (simple plug in) and zip tie ballast
modify dust cap or don't use dust cap and replace.
Done!

I bought these exact bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017M57DJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have those exact same bulbs in my Explorer, however I just put the ballasts inside the housing and replaced the rubber cap. It all fit inside just fine...no cutting required.

I just ordered that LED for my highbeams, will advise on install and output.

It was 100% plug and play. It would have taken 15 minutes if I could have fit my hand in the tight space. I cut a small opening in the dust cap to run the wires for the ballast.

Instructions:
Remove dust cap
remove stock bulb
replace with LED bulb
connect wires (simple plug in) and zip tie ballast
modify dust cap or don't use dust cap and replace.
Done!

I bought these exact bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017M57DJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

how does the color match? those say they are 6500K - the factory low beams are supposedly 5000K. so those should be bluer, if the description is accurate.

I tore my hands all up installing the bulb. It is so hard to get your hand in that small space and turn the bulb and lock it into place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how does the color match? those say they are 6500K - the factory low beams are supposedly 5000K. so those should be bluer, if the description is accurate.

I would say they are pretty close to the factory LED headlights.

I would bet the stock LED's are closer to 6k. They are pretty white with a small tint of blue.

Back