Replacing stock halogens with HID's? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing stock halogens with HID's?

I guess my question is, besides the replacement parts, what is so wrong with simply shooting a xenon filament through the normal halogen mount?

To directly answer your question, it is because our halogen housing is not designed for HID lights. Yes, there are cars out there that use D2R bulbs in reflector housings from stock (older Acura TL's as an example) but there are still differences in their reflector housing to make them viable for HID lights.

It is a dead give-away when you see someone who just slammed bulbs in to their stock reflector housing... :mad:

Once I start going through my build process I am going to take a ton of pictures and share with everyone else, for others who are interested!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make sure to get aftermarket projector style headlight clusters or you will blind everyone. the use of stock headlights with xenon bulbs is what makes hid illegal because it doesn't focus the light properly.

Funny that Xenon-light needs to be focused in other ways than normal bulb-light. What if the light doesn´t know ?

yes there are H13 Bi-Xenons on the net you just have to know where to look!!!!! i found several..... just needing to save up the $$ for them. go to google and search for H13 Bi-Xenon and it just keeps on going. keep in mind these are the same lights used on the 05+ mustangs (H13)

I just wanted an update if anyone installed Bi-xenons yet. I see ones out now with a Dash Error Cancellation harness.

Anyone with pics?

Retro fitting your housing to hold a HID projector is no more legal than just putting in an HID bulb with your reflectors.

The only way to have legal HID lights is if they are OEM equipment on the car or new housings that use self leveling devices.

Just FYI for those that are just reading and may get a different impression.

to everyone worrying about blinding eyes and bla bla bla... there is a little adjustment screw on the headlight.... park 25 feet from a wall, measure the distance from the ground to the little circle on the headlamp, mark this height on the wall and adjust your headlights accordingly. friend got h13 bi-xenon kit with dash error cancelation straight out of korea for around 500 bucks. plan on getting one on my next visit there

for anyone still wondering, the new mustangs this year come optional with xenon headlamps. the mustang halogen beams are h13 just as our explorers are. any reason these wouldnt fit ours?

I've got HID's and the only problem I had was "flickering" due to the auto-on headlight feature. There is a kit to fix this problem. Can't remember what it's called but it did solve the problem.

I've got HID's and the only problem I had was "flickering" due to the auto-on headlight feature. There is a kit to fix this problem. Can't remember what it's called but it did solve the problem.

if u could find out this kit that fixes that problem that would be great help. i want HID's so bad, just dont want to have to wait till the next trip to korea to get some lol.

if u could find out this kit that fixes that problem that would be great help. i want HID's so bad, just dont want to have to wait till the next trip to korea to get some lol.

It's called a "cancellor kit" available at Xeonpros.com for $79. Solves the flickering, but you still will get a check headlight in message center.

Do you light out indicators?

I'm sorry, what do you mean? Yes, the truck has indicators for the lights being out which is what people run in to when swapping HIDs in to the 06+ trucks.

I'm sorry, what do you mean? Yes, the truck has indicators for the lights being out which is what people run in to when swapping HIDs in to the 06+ trucks.

Well see, on some vehicles you can install a kit, turn off the auto-on feature and be good to go. On others you have to add in resistors to fool the truck into thinking all the bulbs are still there. Or you can alternatively tap the low beam power wire on the harness to the truck's positive parking lamp wire. What that does is turn on the lows whenever the parking lights are turned on, no flickering, no resistors. The drawback is the dash light still stays, but no hot resistors under the hood, and you can't have JUST parking lamps on anymore without the low beams. Personally, the resistors or canceller kits are just a waste of energy IMO.

Hids

Heres some pics of my hids on my 2006 xlt...8000k heads, 3000k fogs....I've ton a PILE of hid research and know alot about it, I've installed plenty of kits on different cars. I personally really like the look of it and thae massive improvent of light when driving at night.....Just wanted to share the pics.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=17480633&albumID=2544614&imageID=51421469

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=17480633&albumID=2544614&imageID=51421437

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=17480633&albumID=2544614&imageID=51421382

Hey sorry the pics weren't viewable b/c I had my myspace set to private.....Its fixed so everyone can see the hids....

Heres some pics of my hids on my 2006 xlt...8000k heads, 3000k fogs....I've ton a PILE of hid research and know alot about it, I've installed plenty of kits on different cars. I personally really like the look of it and thae massive improvent of light when driving at night.....Just wanted to share the pics.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=17480633&albumID=2544614&imageID=51421469

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=17480633&albumID=2544614&imageID=51421437

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=17480633&albumID=2544614&imageID=51421382

What did you do about the "dummy" light about the lights being out?

How does the low beam light spread look on the wall?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually don't have a pic of the heads on the wall for some reason, I'll take one though it looks really good.....The dash light coming on is an easy fix by "fooling the cambus system" get a pair of capacitor harness' my lights would even work right without it. The fogs don't need the capacitor harness.

You'll blow a fuse if you put it on the fogs

Back