• Register Today It's free!

Torsion key bolt swap

VWbaja10

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
After doing some searching around on the forum I was able to find out how to get some extra lift on my 2000 mountaineer with longer torsion key adjuster bolts. Currently installed are the warrior rear shackles and torsion key lift w/ adjuster bolt maxed and it was running 32’s when I acquired it. It then went to 33’s, only rubbing was at full lock. Reason for the longer adjuster bolts is from the sagging torsion bars. I gained an extra inch of lift over what it had with the stock bolts. I went with the 100mm, I will probably get 90mm to tuck the bolt back up for protection so it doesn’t hang so low and I feel it will still give a little more lift/ adjustment if wanted down the road. Bolt size for those wondering is M12-1.75
Comparison of stock and 100mm
E7D979B0-CBF3-4F12-B772-4F3C396808BC.jpeg

Here’s how it sits with the new bolts and after a test drive.
30E8004D-0F60-4093-8058-63BAFA0143C5.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Watch the angle on the CV axles, they don't like much lift

Watch the angle on the CV axles, they don't like much lift
I know. It still has some droop left in the suspension. And technically the cv’s should be fine for stock travel movement

I am not sure those bolts are an upgrade. I bet you can run those bolts in far enough that they will bend and I wonder about the hardness of the stock bolts vs what yo got? The stock bolts appear to be specialized and length proper so as to not run them in so far as to side load them.

A consensus was reached here about not going over 2" due to maxing the CV's. There are high angle CV axles available but I am not sure there is an advantage to raising it so high as to have no or little down travel.

I'd look for some stiffer bars to go with the larger tars............................and check to see if my down travel was limited by the shocks........................

bet it had a good test with all the rains recently, considering gorman tomorrow depending on weather, great mud weather as of late. and which grade? i believe factory was 5.

Make sure you grind the tip to properly seat into the torsion key too.

I am not sure those bolts are an upgrade. I bet you can run those bolts in far enough that they will bend and I wonder about the hardness of the stock bolts vs what yo got? The stock bolts appear to be specialized and length proper so as to not run them in so far as to side load them.

A consensus was reached here about not going over 2" due to maxing the CV's. There are high angle CV axles available but I am not sure there is an advantage to raising it so high as to have no or little down travel.

I'd look for some stiffer bars to go with the larger tars............................and check to see if my down travel was limited by the shocks........................
These will be sufficient enough to my driving and how the vehicle is used.
As for the factory bolts I highly doubt any thought went into specific bolt length. And I’ve done a bit of searching on here about the bolt length and strength yada yada before I bought the bolts. As for purchasing new torsion bars that’s not available due to year. I have friends that work for dealerships and parts suppliers and they all gave me the same answer. I can get some out of a junk yard but how do I know the actual condition. I only needed/wanted about an inch more than it had with the sagged torsions and I achieved it

bet it had a good test with all the rains recently, considering gorman tomorrow depending on weather, great mud weather as of late. and which grade? i believe factory was 5.
It did get a good test. Took it out and purposely found stuff to get the suspension to articulate, did a road test and no sagging like it was. Last I heard Gorman was closed due to the storm. Check their fb or ig for details

Make sure you grind the tip to properly seat into the torsion key too.
I did a test fit into the torsion key and no grinding was needed. Not sure if the stock keys are different but on lift keys it’s not needed. I was expecting to grind them but the test fit proved it wasn’t necessary. But for anyone else that does this I would suggest they check that and grind if needed

It did get a good test. Took it out and purposely found stuff to get the suspension to articulate, did a road test and no sagging like it was. Last I heard Gorman was closed due to the storm. Check their fb or ig for details
aww shoot, its never been closed when the 5 is open at leas then ive went. will check the fb

After about a 50miles of on and off-road testing. Handles good and not like a boat
2DDBCC51-15D8-4AAB-B198-B888C44E3FF5.jpeg

aww shoot, its never been closed when the 5 is open at leas then ive went. will check the fb
Yeah this is the first time I’ve heard of them closing. The storm did a lot of damage to the entrance and trails

You should use a grade 8 or stronger bolt. The one shown will bend in time. I've had difficulty previously trying to remove bent stock bolts, which are definitely grade 8.

Yeah this is the first time I’ve heard of them closing. The storm did a lot of damage to the entrance and trails
thanks for telling me, gave the north ranger station a call and theyre closed, indeed. i can imagine, we havent seen this kind of rain in ever?

You should use a grade 8 or stronger bolt. The one shown will bend in time. I've had difficulty previously trying to remove bent stock bolts, which are definitely grade 8.
interesting! good to know, dont have longer bolts, but feel like i remember reading jamie say they were 5. good to know though!

They
They are grade 8.8 and I have a spare
8ABBE390-AF4E-4547-AF93-A817F4BEA7C5.jpeg

They

They are grade 8.8 and I have a spare

The problem is getting a bent one out. . 8.8 is soft. Almost as hard as grade 5 but not like grade 8.

thanks for telling me, gave the north ranger station a call and theyre closed, indeed. i can imagine, we havent seen this kind of rain in ever?
It’s been years since we got rain like this but I dont think it’s caused damage like it has in Gorman before though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s been years since we got rain like this but I dont think it’s caused damage like it has in Gorman before though
yep, i dont recall it ever being that bad where they closed it. oh well, there goes tomorrows plans :p

Back