Ford Explorer Electrical Pulsating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Electrical Pulsating

milkman32

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My car has a problem. When it idles, whether just started or at a traffic light. The electrical power seems to fluctuate. The clock gets dim and then normal brightness over and over, same as all the rest of the lights(headlights, etc).

So it only happens at idle, so...any ideas?

Sounds like a bad alternator; perhaps worn brushes. At higher RPM there is less field excitation current needed through the sliprings.

My car has a problem. When it idles, whether just started or at a traffic light. The electrical power seems to fluctuate. The clock gets dim and then normal brightness over and over, same as all the rest of the lights(headlights, etc).

So it only happens at idle, so...any ideas?

Could also be a rough idle?

It does sound like an issue with the altenator but one thing you could check. I am just learning about Explorers but one of my son's has a Taurus. On the Taurus sometimes the Daytime Running Light Module can cause flickering lights. If you have that option on your Explorer you may want to unplug it and see what happens.

Ed

Back