Bolt head twisted off... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bolt head twisted off...

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN for now...or forever
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 EB
So I resumed my TMH and 1" spacer install today and everything was going well until I sheared the head off the rear bolt on #3 cylinder. All the other bolts came out easily, being a mostly southern driven vehicle and there was not much torque involved applied to shear the head off. I expected the collector bolts to give me trouble but not the manifold to head...

When I get the manifold out, I plan on heating the head with a small propane torch and clamping some vice grips over the remaining section of bolt. Not alot of room to be swinging the vice grips...

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
Pipe wrench instead of vice grips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Watching this thread. Still waiting on my set. Really worried about this happening to me what I pull mine off.

Well I would soak it first with penetrating fluid over night. And I have found that sometimes heat will be your worst enemy. I have in the past use a can of ice to use on the bolt and a few tries and the bolt came out. Heat causes swelling of metal, cold causes shrinkage.

Another way is to center tap the bolt, and use a easy out after you soaked the bolt overnight.

Soaked it real good yesterday with PB Blaster...I will soak it again tonight before I remove the collector bolts, then once again after the manifolds are out. I will also tap it real good in between to try and help breaking the rust.

How would I use an easy out if there are still threads showing? maybe I am thinking of the wrong tool??

What is a can of ice? Are you saying hold an ice cube on the bolt, or is this a can of nitrogen?

What is a can of ice? Are you saying hold an ice cube on the bolt, or is this a can of nitrogen?

Noit is called liquid ICE or Freeze, I will check later when I get home from work, it works great

Sweet, thanks!!

Another thing to try is to tighten it a bit then try backing it out-just a tiny bit of clockwise motion might be all it takes to bust it free. Back and forth as you back it out will help.

Back