Issues with 2013 Explorer Ecoboost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues with 2013 Explorer Ecoboost

KBL2202

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT - 2.0T
So the issue bug has finally bitten me bad. In the past it was small minor cosmetic things (passenger side seat cover clip tore from the leather seat in the leg area, Black upper window trim just BLEW OFF at highway speed, power mirror motor failure.) About 2 months back I noticed a pretty strong raw fuel smell and looked up the recalls and found out of course about the sending unit issue recall, and after checking the vin my vehicle was part of it.

Now let me start off by saying that my explorer is a 2013 with 120,000 miles. It was purchased with 7 miles in May of 2012. 95% of my miles are highway miles as I cover most of the state I live in for my job. I religiously keep up with maintenance and oil changes at every 5k, and am a bit upset at how these issues seem to just keep creeping up on me.

That fuel sending unit was fixed for a period of about a month when out of the blue, at a stoplight my explorer started sputtering and shaking and actually died. Started it back up, and had a check engine light I decided to press the gas pedal to see if that helped the idle at all and all at once it sputtered then took off hard. Limped it to the dealer from there, and they pulled a code that said a fault on the bank 1 02 sensor. They ordered in the new sensor and told me that they may not be able to program the 02 sensor to the current PCM? This blew my mind, but they said they would try and program it and see if it would hold. Went and picked the car up, and got through a half of a tank of gas and went to fill up again. After driving for about 25 miles on the new tank of gas the issue returned but with no s.e.s. light this time. Took it in to the dealer again today and am waiting to hear a prognosis.

My question is, would it be possible for the 02 and the PCM to go bad at the same time? Or potentially could it be the PCM causing the issues which caused the 02 to go bad? I have had no other signs of PCM issues, and the strangest part about the sputtering and rough idle is only when I am at a stop with my foot on the break or even with it in park. When the motor is under load it doesn't feel like its having any issue what so ever. Is it possible the fuel sending unit fix could have affected the 02 sensor and fouled it?

I know lots of questions but I only had extended warranty until 100k and all of these fixes are coming right out of my pocket. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wonder if they messed something up with the fuel tank issue recall? Seems to me I read an OASIS message a long time ago where it was common for a certain mistake to be made and it caused the vehicle to run poorly....Hopefully my memory of that is correct.

Well after 5 trips to the dealer the issue persists and my old friend Trouble Code P1646 showed back up today in the form of a CEL. The dealer mentioned on the original O2 sensor replacement that they may have issues with the PCM but its currently backordered? Can a PCM really go bad after as little as 120k?

Well after waiting almost 2 months for the PCM to come off backorder, had the new PCM installed, picked it up after the service dept. closed and pulled out of the dealers lot only to have the check engine light come back on and the surge/idle drop come right back. At this point I'm almost $2500 in to fix a problem that the dealer just cant seem to fix! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are they not performing road tests after the 02 sensor replacement?

Well after waiting almost 2 months for the PCM to come off backorder, had the new PCM installed, picked it up after the service dept. closed and pulled out of the dealers lot only to have the check engine light come back on and the surge/idle drop come right back. At this point I'm almost $2500 in to fix a problem that the dealer just cant seem to fix! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have they checked if your car has carbon issues? Mainly carbon buildup on the back of the valves?

Since you have a 2.0L Turbo, you might want to look at these videos:

Are they not performing road tests after the 02 sensor replacement?

They are, but I don't believe its a long enough test to replicate when I am getting the CEL. Carbon deposits make me wonder but is it possible there is an electrical fault somewhere?

Back