Let me bounce this idea off you guys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let me bounce this idea off you guys

Stock99

Reaction score
City, State
TarponSprings, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Problem: When gas is low and parked in my slightly inclined driveway truck wont start. Usually solved by rolling truck to level ground.

Problem: This worked for awhile now the truck will start sometimes and immediately stall.
Problem: CE light came on soon after this. We just turned 100k with the truck.

Diagnosis: I need to replace fuel pump/fuel filter, and O2 sensors. I will also be cleaning the MAF and IAC.
Also: This truck has served us well and we are trying to take care of it. We perform regular maintenance and just had the lower ball joints replaced. Interior is still perfect except for the crack (right where my elbow sits) in the center console lid. I love this truck and want to keep it running forever. Trying to bounce the idea of a decent stereo install so the wife can have good sound. Thanks much guys. Wade

PS: Is the fuel pump just as easy to replace as a 95Mustang. I've done the intank pump thing a couple times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

16 views and no replies? thnx!

Well, you've stated a problem about your truck not starting when the tank is low and you're not parked on level ground, then stated you'll do your own diagnosis, and ended the thought by installing a decent stereo for good sound..... I don't think anyone here has a clue where to go from there, or how to possibly reply about a fuel problem with a stereo.

....Not to mention that you're expecting an answer within a couple of hours ~ I think only from people that's had experience changing a '95 Mustang fuel pump ~ even if someone could figure out what idea it is you're bouncing. You may have to wait awhile before a former '95 Mustang owner that does his own maintenance that also owns a 95+ Explorer with your problem that needs a better stereo happens to notice this thread and can figure out how in the heck to answer it.

BTW, your Explorer won't start when it's low on gas because it's low on gas.... the fuel pickup is in the rear of the tank and if you're pointing downhill the gas will be in the front of the tank. You can do all the diagnosing you want to but the best fix is to put gas in the tank.

Running your vehicle low on fuel not only allows it to pick up trash/slime that will get throught he sock, but the fuel is also what cools the pump, the heat generated by the pump is disapated through the case to the fuel for cooling, with out this, or prolonged abuse (low/no fuel in the tank) and the pump fails.

You need to check fuel pressure and volume, to diag the pump, you could also check for amperage draw.

100k miles, time to do a pump anyways.

Without pulling the trouble codes you are mearly throwing parts at your vehicle, wasted monies, pull the trouble codes and do the proper diagnosis and then replace only the failed parts, a trouble codes don't let you exactly what parts are wrong, it only gives you atarting point.

The tank is harder to remove than an SN95 body car, will take longer but very similar process.

The stalling could be attributed to many things, IAC, EGR, MAF, fuel, and vacuum leak.

For future reference check the search feature, it beholds a welth of articles and information that will help you along with you troubles your may be having.

Jeff - :navajo:

My '97 has done this to me several times. Apparently the pickup is further back, and parking pointed down doesn't let it get any gas.

And yes, I've let me tank get too low on more than one occasion. Can't help it with 15 mpg. <g>

I've got a similar issue. I try to not park on slopes. :) And keep 'er full.
Karl

Yep, and Jeff is right. If you've got a check engine light now just go ahead and get the codes - it's throwing money away to try a fix before finding out what the ce is telling you is wrong. Running it out of gas constantly may have sucked some crap up through the fuel line and caused another problem; or with the mileage you have it could also be a coincidence and a separate unrelated problem.

I still don't understand the thread since it's titled to bounce an idea off of us; and your post bounces the idea about a stereo. Maybe you're asking about the stereo instead?

ADHD? Ask my wife; I go off on tangents all the time when I'm speaking, LOL :)

Our driveway goes downhill and I never park facing down it when I'm low on gas; I back down. As for the stereo, I don't know.

Wow, talk about harsh. I was just voicing some opinions. Didn't know I needed to be so correct when I wanna bounce a couple ideas of people. Sorry if you can't multi-task Jarret. (This does not apply to SVO, karl and rizzjc. Thnx for your thoughts.) I never said I parked the car facing uphill or downhill but you assumed I faced it nose down. Wrong. The others were right, I faced it nose first uphill which probably allowed me to suck up crap that has acquired in the tank. Ok, forget I re-registered I'll leave ya all alone. Geeez.

I'm with Jarret.
A. You have to give peaple time to respond.
Remember it is summer and people are not camped out on the computer all day.

B. Your question was confusing

C. Dont let the door hit you on the :mattmoon: on the way out.

I know how you feel stock99.. that Jarrett guy is just a jerk. One time he hooked my truck up to his while I wasn't looking and went full throttle through a river full of rocks bigger than tires. He didn't even apologize afterwards either.

jasonb said:
I know how you feel stock99.. that Jarrett guy is just a jerk. One time he hooked my truck up to his while I wasn't looking and went full throttle through a river full of rocks bigger than tires. He didn't even apologize afterwards either.
hes gotta lot of nerve

BTW
I never park facing downhill with less than 1/4 tank, because my truck won't start if I do.
I have a new pump and sock on it

:p

Back