Explorer Truck Conversion? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Truck Conversion?

I've been thinking about doing mine for a few years now but can't ever seem to get the time to start on it. When I do I will use the back of a SportTrac cab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Electric Sunroof

My project has a electric sunroof in it, From all i have read on this site this has to have been a dealer add on. Here are a couple of pics of it, Looks to have been a professional job.

A friend of mine has a Limited grill & bumper cover i could pick up pretty cheap, How do u think it would look on the project?

Thanks, Rick

truggy029.jpg

truggy028-1.jpg

I always thought it would be cool if you could some how use the original lift gate behind the back seat. That way if you wanted to haul some thing long you could leave it up and fold the back seats down. But it would take alot more fab work than it would be worth.

yes you would have to cut 3 to 6 inches out of the gate, and alot more fab than need would have to be done...

An easy was to find the axle ratio is on the passenger side front ttb beam right behind the radius arm there should be a sticker which clearly states the ratio. You can also sheck the tag on the rear diff or look up the axle cod on the door sticker.

Thanks for info on the axle code, Have determined that it has 373 gears.

Rick

Template Done

Got template made out of cardboard this weekend, I did them in 2 sections.

Ran a slot down the side of body to mount the bottom section into on each side, This will give me a place to weld to.......

swingin055.jpg

Will have angle at each mtg place for strength...........

swingin061.jpg

Made slot's in the top section to match roof line's..........

swingin057.jpg

This is how the fiished template look's, Will check with my friend to see when he can get these pc's made for me.........

swingin058.jpg

Thanks, Rick

Actually plan using the bottom half of hatch door as tailgate, Have got it cut down and have mtgs made so it can pivot down. Will need to do a little trimming at the bottom of it so that it can swing all the way down.

Thinking of making a cap for the bed out of Diamond tread plate that will swing up for access, Maybe using the hatch shocks as support & to hold it open.

I talked to my buddy about bending it up where he works & he said it would be no problem to do.......

Thanks, Rick

Nice. Someone else did the bottom half of the hatch as a tailgate too. It was cool, because the t-handle still worked as the method of opening. Like you said they trimmed the bottom of it a little and added hinges. Good luck.

looking good. looks familiar. thats how i made my template. i made a swing down tailgate it was verry easy. i didnt even have to cut the botom of it for it to swing all the way down. Also used the factory latch to open it. I used some hinges from a fullsize mid 80's bronco. they worked great. there was even a hole in the explorer body that i used to locate them. They were a perfect match.

here is the way my gate was. i would really look into using these hinges. also another thing you might want to do is change the latches on the gate to a single action latch.

Attachments

• IMAG0023.JPG
    IMAG0023.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,491
  • IMAG0020.JPG
    IMAG0020.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • IMAG0021.JPG
    IMAG0021.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,297

You know what would look really good with your conversion? These:D

IM000376.jpg

Have you considered using the original rear hatch door? It would have the flip up rear window and brake light still in the top. I had considered what you are doing and using the rear hatch to close it off. Plus you are using what you have, the whole thing would flip up and it would have the defroster bars in it and rear wiper, something the sport trac doesn't have.

Wildstang , I had considered doing just what u suggest with the hatch, Finally decided to go with something different. Supposed to be getting my parts made this weekend.

Joe93, Those look really good on your truck, especially with the way u had enclosed the rear of yours. I have decided that if my parts that are being made don't come out the way i expect. Will go the same way you did & have a cover made. If i end up going that way i would like some more info on how u had the windows made & maybe a source.

Thanks for Input, Rick

Joe93, Those look really good on your truck, especially with the way u had enclosed the rear of yours. I have decided that if my parts that are being made don't come out the way i expect. Will go the same way you did & have a cover made. If i end up going that way i would like some more info on how u had the windows made & maybe a source.

Thanks for Input, Rick

trckmagik had the windows made for his old explorer. I bought them from him. i think the ones i have are the only ones left? i know rick has the rear windows but not the front. Mine are for sale if ya want them. I dont need them anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sheet Panels

Got my parts today & did a test fit, Looks like they are going to work out good. Thanks again for all the help & suggestions on this project...........

Rick

new006.jpg

new007.jpg

new003.jpg

Back