Can't decide... 20s or 22s on my 94? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't decide... 20s or 22s on my 94?

Hey everyone. I have some questions for you guys being that I can’t decide on what to do.

First off I have a 94 XLT 4x4 with 165K+ and going strong with no problems!!! Gotta love the Explorer

So I’m getting rims but cant deiced on 20”s or 22”s. I have owned my truck for 4 years and it NEVER sees dirt roads. So that’s not a problem. I also love the big rim look!

I really don’t care how the ride is on my X. My stereo has made it a rattle trap as it is so there’s no luxury in this vehicle!

So here’s my questions.

1. Is it really easy to blow a tire on 22”s if you hit a pot hole. This is my first time getting rims and I don’t want to be buying new tires every few months.
2. Does this affect my 4x4 at all? I also have never used my 4x4 but I also don’t want to wreck it.

So basically can 22”s be done a the first gen X WITHOUT running into problems? :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Trb8xfESk

untitled-4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lower the profile of the tire the easier it is to blow when hitting pot holes so if you have alot of pot holes around you i wouldnt use to thin of a tire

Have you considered a smaller rim then the ones you're proposing?

I've' seen 17's and 18's that look good, with plenty of tire for a decent ride quality. Also don't have to worry about blowing out a tire. But if you haven't and really want the "big rim" look, I'd say 20's. I think 22's would be a bit much, and your tire would basically be a rubberband.

Have you considered a smaller rim then the ones you're proposing?

I've' seen 17's and 18's that look good, with plenty of tire for a decent ride quality. Also don't have to worry about blowing out a tire. But if you haven't and really want the "big rim" look, I'd say 20's. I think 22's would be a bit much, and your tire would basically be a rubberband.

Has to be 20s or 22s. Everyone here has BIG rims. Allot of Chevy’s and cars up on 26s+.

I would go 22s hands down BUT I don’t want to have problems with tires. That’s why I cant decide on with way to go.

Anyone here have 22"s on an X? I’m just trying to get everyone’s opinion and thoughts on the idea

ALSO...

What do you do about the 4x4 hubs that stick out?

I’m guessing I have to find a rim they will fit threw and maybe paint them black or something? Im getting black rims btw

Has to be 20s or 22s. Everyone here has BIG rims. Allot of Chevy’s and cars up on 26s+.

I would go 22s hands down BUT I don’t want to have problems with tires. That’s why I cant decide on with way to go.

Anyone here have 22"s on an X? I’m just trying to get everyone’s opinion and thoughts on the idea

I say go for it, brotha!

I say go for it, brotha!

I just might... but still undecided!

On car domain I have seen 23 and 24s done on 1st gens so I should fit 22s with decent tires size (2"s of tire) right? As long as I don’t end up with some rubber band! :p:

Neither of these are mine.

22s

Thanx for the Pix! To me, 22"s give it the look im looking for! The X with the roll pan is sick!!! I think im ganna do 22"s and hope for the best!

If anyone has an opinion on what I should do I still would like to hear it. Also if anyone has pix of 1st gen Xs up on 22s post them up. :thumbsup:

Since your asking for opinions:

If I was going to go with 20+'s, I'd slam it -- even if I have to notch the frame and cut the wheel wells to stuff them (and clear steering lock), or do a body drop. IMO, if its not slammed to the ground, then it looks like all I did was bolt on some wheels (10 minutes) and called it good.

Since your asking for opinions:

If I was going to go with 20+'s, I'd slam it -- even if I have to notch the frame and cut the wheel wells to stuff them (and clear steering lock), or do a body drop. IMO, if its not slammed to the ground, then it looks like all I did was bolt on some wheels (10 minutes) and called it good.

I got you mayne. I have always been around bagged trucks and lowriders and have thought MANY times of bagging my truck. All it would cost me is parts. BUT i have a 4x4 so I decided against it.

If you like baggs, check out my buddys s-10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VItLtsaKXWc

personally id go with 16 inch rims, 44 inch boggers, and a 15 inch lift. but that just me, cant stand big rims at all.

22"s. No rub!!! I was told I can get custom caps made so they will clear the 4x4 hub. The caps the rims came with dont clear by 1/4th of an inch. Sux! Anyone know anything about custom center caps?

l_0819830458504dce9c112cddc1097eeb.png

20x10s with 275/45 tires.. had to modify the front cap so the 4wd hub would fit
l_00ff626ea187176cac8196220e820750.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i took a dremel tool and rounded it out so it would fit over the hub..just took some time and it fit

Back