Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a trailer hitch receiver at the junkyard today and picked up a 48" farm jack at Harbor Freight for $40. Got the hitch mounted earlier and Im going to mount the farm jack on top of the storage box in the back. Ill probably do that tomrrow so Ill have a few more pics tomorrow.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

love what youve done with this thing!
i like the idea of a hand throttle, especially for hardcore offroadin, sounds like a cool idea.

anyway, nice job with the X!

Thanks for the comments.

Next on the list is desperately needed manual hubs and then a gear swap. Either a 3.73 or 4.10 for now. Would like 4.10 if I can find it.

went to the junkyard and got some tow hooks, a 3.73 limited slip rearend and got a front 3.73 center section from my buddy. We did a Lincoln Locker in the front so we will see how that goes.

Also chopped the bumper up since it was already bent all to hell. Im going to get a straight bumper but im not sure if Im going to cut it like this one or not. Not sure if I like it or not.

Rear end
towhooks5.jpg

Tow hooks
towhooks.jpg

towhooks2.jpg

Front Bumper
towhooks3.jpg

towhooks4.jpg

Changed the gear oil and put new axle seals in new the rear end today.

Got the old rear end out and the new one is ready to go in. Im going to try to get it in and get the front swapped out tomorrow also. Hopefully I can get it all done.

Well got it all done today. Got the new rear end in and swapped out the front center section. Went pretty smoothly just a pain trying to get the front diff and traction beam lined up and the passenger axle splined all at the same time by your self. Took 2 jack and a jack stand to do it but I got it in.

Now I just need some manual hubs and ill actually have a 4x4.

I need to replace my auto hubs at some point, switching to manual also. T/C shift motor is next on my list of 'to do's' .

Your explorer is coming along. Faster then mine but I'm a poor person :p:
Good luck and keep with the updates. I'll keep an eye out for more updates. :)

looks great, i need to build a storage compartment...great idea

Looks good! I'm in the market for a 5 speed swap too!

Got the oil changed today and degreased/pressure washed under the hood to get all the gummed up grease of everything since i got all the leaks finally under control for the most part now.

Also re spray bombed it. Ill get a few pics tomorrow.

Here are a few pics of the new spray bomb job and a little flex.
flex.jpg

flex2.jpg

flex3.jpg

flex4.jpg

When I was taking these pics I noticed the gap in the front bumper was all messed up and took a closer look and the washer for the core support mount is gone or its rusted out.

flex6.jpg

very nice work so far!!!!

Did you ever end up bleeding the clutch slave cylinder?
what master cylinder did you use? 93? 95?

You should be able to locate manual hubs and the spindle nuts at the junk yard????

Very impressed, especially the $100 5 speed conversion

Bench bleed the master and got all the air out and put it all in and hooked the quick disconnect up to the slave and had a full pedal. Never had the bleed it at the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder isnt the correct one for the year but it works just fine. The master is out of a 91 and slave is out of the 95.

Believe me I have been looking for a set of manual hubs at the junkyard every week. I got about once a week and never ran across a set of manuals for a D35. The all Autos, or D28 manuals and there are tons of Explorers and Ranger in the junkyard up here.

Im trying to scrounge up enough money to buy TACO626's Manual hubs.

Thanks for the compliments. Its still got a long way to go to get it where I want it.

dang! lots of D35 hubs up here in CO in the junk yards, the trick is finding a yard that doesnt want $100 for them WAJ

I upgraded to the new Warn Jeep rear hubs last year... let me see if I have my old set around still (warn D35)

I understand how you bled the master, I learned to do the same thing, but the slave should also be bled......but if its working DONT MESS WITH IT Lol

if you are having trouble getting 1st gear from a stop then you might consider bleeding, there is quite a bit of air in the slave cylinder and the internal trans hydro line that runs to it

Yea if its working im definitely not going to mess with it. I know how bleeding these things can be a pain. Its goes into gear just fine. The slave wasnt new it was on the trans when I pulled it so it already had fluid in it.

Let me know if you run across a set of the manual hubs. I could really use them. Thanks man.

Back