Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got some more work done too it in the past week.

Compressor mounted.
newstuff2.jpg

Tank mounted, lines ran, and horn.
newstuff4.jpg

Quick disconnect for air hose.
newstuff3.jpg

The Jeep Warn hubs.
newstuff5.jpg

Twin sticks. Still working on it.
newstuff6.jpg

newstuff7.jpg

Got the shifter problem straightened out. Had to cut up the bezels to get them in. It will work for now until I can find a one piece one.
DSCI0017.jpg

Dont think I put up a pic of the new wheels/tires yet either.
DSCI0014.jpg

DSCI0015.jpg

Picked up a new CD player from Best Buy. It was $120 and its ipod ready and came with the cord needed which is why I got it. Sounds good and works great with the ipod controls built in.

Picture sucks
radio3.jpg

Scored some more parts at the junkyard. Found some brand new looking Pioneer 3 way speakers in a Explorer, found some more amp power wires, and as I wan watching them bring out more cars they brought out a Explorer with manual hubs so I grabbed them and the locknuts. Cool thing is I only paid $33 for it all.

I knew right after I broke down and bought a set for my Explorer I would run across a set at the junkyard. I just bought a set 2 weeks ago and now I found these. lol

Speakers
radio2.jpg

Wire(always need good sized wire for something)
radio4.jpg

Hubs
radio.jpg

Got the winch mounted. Used a universal winch plate for now. When I go to make a Bumper for it I will probably just go off of it. I mounted the control box behind the grill.

winch2.jpg

winch4.jpg

Control box.
winch3.jpg

Side profile shot.
winch5.jpg

Also got one of the Chevy service lights. The one with the wind up cord that will reach all the way around the back.
winch6.jpg

Just went and picked up a Surco roof rack I found on craigslist for a good deal. Also bought 4 6" lights off ebay the other day to put on the rack. Won another set of Pioneer speakers like are in the front doors to put in the back.

Now I am thinking about adding a 3" body lift and throwing on some BFG KM2's. Hows everyone think that sounds?

Ill get some pics of the roof rack tomorrow.

Just went and picked up a Surco roof rack I found on craigslist for a good deal. Also bought 4 6" lights off ebay the other day to put on the rack. Won another set of Pioneer speakers like are in the front doors to put in the back.

Now I am thinking about adding a 3" body lift and throwing on some BFG KM2's. Hows everyone think that sounds?

Ill get some pics of the roof rack tomorrow.

I tend to not recommend body lifts over 1". Unless it's really well built, it could shear the bolts and you could have a very bad experience. I've never used one so this is just something I've heard.

Other than that, sounds like a solid plan.

Great budget build. Your truck is looking good.:thumbsup:

subscribed

Got the rack painted and on, lights on, and a new Firestik CB antenna. Now I just need some new coax cable to hook the antenna up. Also have 2 more smaller square lights to go on the back of the rack for reverse lights.

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

lights.jpg

Looking good!

the truck sure is getting there, how do you like the manual t-case compared to waiting for the electric one to shift?

Put the manual t case in so I would know when I put I in 4wd it's actually in 4wd and I don't have to worry about all the electronic stuff quitting when I actually need it.

Lovin it!
Im thinking about getting a roof rack similar to yours and putting the exact same lights on top, but my question to you is how did you go about running the wires for the lights? I want to avoid drilling and running anything in the body (hopefully until my X is in my name, still in my moms)
Thanks.

I dont much care to drill a hole in my rook either. I just ran the wire from under the hood up the outside of the a pillar door seal deal and it come out and goes up to the rack and I have it zip tied out of the way and all. Dont really notice it unless you look for it.

Scored a set of headers from the junkyard today. Got them for $16 and some change. I believe they are Borla. The Explorer had a Borla Exhaust sticker and thats what they look like to me looking at pics on the net but Im not 100% sure.

headers.jpg

headers3.jpg

headers2.jpg

Also picked up a set of Bilstein shocks. Not sure how good of shape they are in or how many miles for for $5 each I said why not.

headers4.jpg

Got some questions on the headers. What brand do they look like to everybody and will they work with a stock y pipe or will I have to get one/make one? The y pipe that was with them was all tore up and cracked but it looked like a stock one to me but Im not 100% sure.

Got the reverse lights mounted on the rack and did some wiring and little stuff like that.

When it snowed last week and I was pull people out of ditches I lost the remote for the winch somewhere so I want and bought another one and then the next day I found it but it had been ran over. Switch and everything still worked so I used the switch and wire to have a control in the cab.

wiring2.jpg

Switches. One is fore the 4 lights on top, one is for the reverse lights, one for the air compressor, and one to turn on the switch for the winch switch. The light switches are SPDT so I have them wired up with a on all the time position, off, and automatic on. The reverse will come on when it in reverse and the 4 lights on top will come on with the high beams. Dont mind the extra holes they were already there. Ill grab a new piece from the junkyard next time and re drill it.

wiring3.jpg

Relays

wiring4.jpg

Reverse lights on rack.

wiring.jpg

Also bought a 4.56 gear for the front diff. Now I need to save up some more money for a rear gear, body lift, and some 33's and Ill be set for a little while.

Back