A completely insane/stupid 4.9l swap. Yes, I'm serious. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A completely insane/stupid 4.9l swap. Yes, I'm serious.

Usage is going to be a secondary vehicle, most likely. I'd like to SAS it, and get some bigger tires going on. I just know if my Blazer decides to crap out on me in the middle of a NE winter one day, I'm going to be supremely screwed trying to commute to places like work. And being as I have no real "support channel" it necessitates the need for a back-up plan. Enter "El Cheapo"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carguy so concealing the fact you removed the cats makes it o.k.?
No. From a legal standpoint it does not. However, the fact that the Op's state does not perform emission testing also does not make his swap any less illegal, as either action is a violation of the FEDERAL clean air act prohibition against emissions tampering. Same "charge", same fines, same thing. I simply want people to recognize the hypocrisy of being so vehemently opposed to removing cats, yet having no problem w/ this engine swap, and other actions which are also illegal, but apparently sanctioned by the almighty explorerforum board. I'm not saying that I , in any way, agree with the law or even that I will follow it myself. I simply want people to realize and recognize that cats/motor swaps/hho/custom tuning is all the same thing from a legal standpoint. Further, those that rail against removing cats, on environmental grounds, will go ahead and cheer on a project like this, blissfully unaware or ignorant of the fact that this swap would likely cause the same increase in emmissions, or even more, as removing cats from a properly running stock SOHC.
I'm not asking you, or anybody else to change your mind about the whole cat thing, just recognize that it is no different from so many "mods" that are openly encouraged.

I was not chastising the OP about the swap, because it's illegal, or increases emmissions,etc... My point was a PRACTICAL one. As I said, I can hide my "modifications", quite effectively. There is no way he can "hide" his 4.9L, or the lack of an OBDII PCM.

Again, I just wanted to help prevent another abandoned half-finished, half-baked project. I had no intention of making this into any sort of cat-defense,etc... discussion but since someone "stirred the pot", and then you jumped on me, I felt compelled to respond.

As for the Jersey Shore comment that seems to have disappeared, that was uncalled for. I am NOTHING like those clowns.

Leave it alone Carguy he wants to do the swap and is going to do it. It's his truck to whatever he wants with. No point in arguing about it.

Yes, you are exactly right. However, there is phrase which is often applied to controversial scientific advancements: "Just because we can, doesn't mean we should."
I was just offering my opinion as to the practicality of this project. I still feel that a.) there is a far more cost effective and practical solution. - used SOHC and b.) for all the work and money involved, I don't think this swap accomplishes anything worth doing. It involves putting in a "worse" motor instead of a better one. It is going backwards. Now if this was a project to install a Porsche flat-6 or a BMW V-12, ok.
The other thing that bothered me, and probably the only reason I commented to begin with, is that this involves "destroying" what sounded like an intact, decent vehicle that only needed a fairly simple, economical repair to be back on the road. If this had been proposed on a wrecked/salvage title/clapped/beat up/piece of crap/ that was already "done" as far as being a usable vehicle, then it wouldn't bother me. Better a project car then scrap metal. I just hate seeing good vehicles cut up for "projects" Save those for people that want a nice one as is. Cut up/mod ones that are already trashed/wrecked.

No. From a legal standpoint it does not. However, the fact that the Op's state does not perform emission testing also does not make his swap any less illegal, as either action is a violation of the FEDERAL clean air act prohibition against emissions tampering. Same "charge", same fines, same thing. I simply want people to recognize the hypocrisy of being so vehemently opposed to removing cats, yet having no problem w/ this engine swap, and other actions which are also illegal, but apparently sanctioned by the almighty explorerforum board. I'm not saying that I , in any way, agree with the law or even that I will follow it myself. I simply want people to realize and recognize that cats/motor swaps/hho/custom tuning is all the same thing from a legal standpoint. Further, those that rail against removing cats, on environmental grounds, will go ahead and cheer on a project like this, blissfully unaware or ignorant of the fact that this swap would likely cause the same increase in emmissions, or even more, as removing cats from a properly running stock SOHC.
I'm not asking you, or anybody else to change your mind about the whole cat thing, just recognize that it is no different from so many "mods" that are openly encouraged.

I was not chastising the OP about the swap, because it's illegal, or increases emmissions,etc... My point was a PRACTICAL one. As I said, I can hide my "modifications", quite effectively. There is no way he can "hide" his 4.9L, or the lack of an OBDII PCM.

Again, I just wanted to help prevent another abandoned half-finished, half-baked project. I had no intention of making this into any sort of cat-defense,etc... discussion but since someone "stirred the pot", and then you jumped on me, I felt compelled to respond.

As for the Jersey Shore comment that seems to have disappeared, that was uncalled for. I am NOTHING like those clowns.

Yes, you are exactly right. However, there is phrase which is often applied to controversial scientific advancements: "Just because we can, doesn't mean we should."
I was just offering my opinion as to the practicality of this project. I still feel that a.) there is a far more cost effective and practical solution. - used SOHC and b.) for all the work and money involved, I don't think this swap accomplishes anything worth doing. It involves putting in a "worse" motor instead of a better one. It is going backwards. Now if this was a project to install a Porsche flat-6 or a BMW V-12, ok.
The other thing that bothered me, and probably the only reason I commented to begin with, is that this involves "destroying" what sounded like an intact, decent vehicle that only needed a fairly simple, economical repair to be back on the road. If this had been proposed on a wrecked/salvage title/clapped/beat up/piece of crap/ that was already "done" as far as being a usable vehicle, then it wouldn't bother me. Better a project car then scrap metal. I just hate seeing good vehicles cut up for "projects" Save those for people that want a nice one as is. Cut up/mod ones that are already trashed/wrecked.

So can you post the Federal regulation stating that you can't put an older engine in a newer car is illegal in all states? Also I don't recall the OP saying he was deleting the emissions equipment.

It's aslo quite aparent you have never driven a Ford with a 300 inline 6. That I6 will kick a SOHC's ass all over the place.

Ford went backwards with the mile of timing chain used in all of their SOHC & DOHC engines. It's 1960's technology.

So can you post the Federal regulation stating that you can't put an older engine in a newer car is illegal in all states? .

That what I'm wondering.

So can you post the Federal regulation stating that you can't put an older engine in a newer car is illegal in all states? Also I don't recall the OP saying he was deleting the emissions equipment.

It's aslo quite aparent you have never driven a Ford with a 300 inline 6. That I6 will kick a SOHC's ass all over the place.

Ford went backwards with the mile of timing chain used in all of their SOHC & DOHC engines. It's 1960's technology.

That what I'm wondering.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf

Thought this might be of interest also:
http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=23319&flag=1

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/98revadmem1a.pdf

http://epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/f02014.pdf

Ok, carguy, I'm going to alleviate some of your concerns about what I'm doing to a "perfectly good vehicle" as you seem to believe this is the case. while this vehicle isn't run-down, its far from being a show queen. It was a DD, and it shows the use as such, along with being rear-ended. 2nd: the engine going in is going to have all the previous components that it had in the F-150. So, its going to put out no more emissions than a stock 4.9l, of which there are currently large numbers still roaming the roads today. From a totalitarian viewpoint, I'm a very bad person, and should be drug behind a hybrid vehicle until I expire. 3rd: if it gets a conversion to CNG, it will technically be considered a "clean" vehicle. 4th: I don't particularly care. Uncle Sam has over-stepped his boundaries and likes to keep his boot on the trachea of peoples dreams, so either comply like a good sheep, or be a "rebel".

Uncle Sam has over-stepped his boundaries and likes to keep his boot on the trachea of peoples dreams.

AMEN.

Cars wouldn't be so damned expensive if it wasn't for all the polution BS imposed on them by the Feds. That's what killed the original VW Beetle. They got great milage so they would have met milege standards. There is no reason in hell a V8 or V6 needs 4 or more freaking cat convertors or a 4 cyl needs more than one.

Mileage has actually gone done in some cases, due to emissions related BS. Like on the 6.0 powerstrokes, people claimed they were getting good mileage until they brought their trucks in for a update to the comp for emissions... The story seems to be universal 3 MPG drop across the board. Go Team Guv'mint!

Your whole " you couldn't sell it because of registration" doesn't hold water. First, he never said he wanted to sell it. Second. In Nebraska there would be no debate over, "well if I move to ....... I couldn't drive it". One day in the local Omaha paper and it would be cash in hand. Anybody care to disagree with that?
The whole country doesn't subscribe to the thinking of the NE states.

Mileage has actually gone done in some cases, due to emissions related BS. Like on the 6.0 powerstrokes, people claimed they were getting good mileage until they brought their trucks in for a update to the comp for emissions... The story seems to be universal 3 MPG drop across the board. Go Team Guv'mint!

Just wait untill 2012 and Tier 4 diesel emissions are mandatory. Every piece of used construction equipment's price is going to go through the roof when that stuff is fully implemented because no one will want the new stuff when they realize the performance/economy they are giving up.

Tiers 1-3 did some pretty good things, but tier 4 is going way to far.

I can hide that. I saved the heat shields, and welded them over the straight pipe, carefully covering the holes in the shields. When they stick the mirror under the truck, it looks like it has cats. The computer tune takes care of the rear O2's

You can't hide a 4.9L in an Explorer, nor can simulate the OBDII computer that won't be there when they try to plug into it.

On the "pot stirring" front, if we can't talk about removing cats (ie, threads deleted) because it's not legal, then why shouldn't this thread be deleted as well? Technically, any diesel swaps, or talk of them, are also really no different, from a legal standpoint, then removing cats; yet those threads remain????

no imagination, and whos to say hes using this as a dd, or how someone should spend there time and money; also if they didnt just change nj emission laws ur shielded pipe wouldnt have done much anyway.

As far as the tier 4 stuff goes, it won't cost a fortune or severly limit performance, just look at what's come out of the big 3 over the past 10 years... I foresee more sophisticated engine control systems, along with particulate traps and urea injection. The real kicker is how much those systems will cost to maintain over the lifetime of the equipment. Techs are gonna be PO'd about having more crap to service and rip off the engine for a major service. The stealers-i mean "dealers" who employ the techs are rubbing their palms in anticipation of the money just waiting to be made...

Okay guys, since you guys have been so kind with your encouragement, I decided to go out and snap a few pics of her. It's not exactly warm here, and the wind's blowin around 15-20 mph, so I didn't stay out too long.

IMG00269.jpg

The Exploder next to my current dog
IMG00270.jpg

Rear-end damage
IMG00271.jpg

Look at that rusty hunk of... Well you know. Can anyone else see a tube bumper in it's place?
IMG00272.jpg

Front isn't too bad, needs a new center console storage cover...
IMG00273.jpg

Back carpet is a little dingy. She must've left the windows open one day. Oh well, I aint gonna be sitting in the back :D
IMG00274.jpg

Oh, there's where the other half of the dash went...
IMG00275.jpg

The bad:
Needs an alignment
Could use new tires
Engine (like, duuuh :rolleyes:)
Rear bumper/frame (haven't looked under it yet to see if it bent anything up)
Stock radio/everything :thumbdwn:
Driver's door lock (it doesn't work too well, I gotta rip the door panel open and see what's wrong. Story is it decided to stop functioning properly after the rear-end collision...)

The good:
New battery :cool:
Key-less entry
116k mi
No rust, minus the rear bumper (knock on wood)
Generally pretty solid
It's a Ford :D

Overall it looks like you got a hell of a deal on the truck, looks good.

Right? A salvage yard would have screwed her on it big time. Plus, there's still some good parts I can sell once I get everything removed. Anybody in the market for a/some used trans/t-case/SOHC accessories? :D

I'm sure there is, but you have to be an Elite member on this site to sell items.

this would be a great thread without all the arguing......people so worried about emissions should head over to some of the countries i have been to just in the last year and see how big of a deal epa is.....oh wait they dont have one and never will abide by it. the united states and a hand full of other countries are the only ones that care about emissions. Romi brazil has the biggest casting plants in the world for cast iron and cast steel auto parts......they use blast furnaces fuel by whatever they can cram in them. not to mention one single volcanic eruption releases more toxins and gas into the air than cars have or will form their invention until man kind dies......i love all 4 of my catless vehicles that all pass inspection in the state of virginia. and i love the 300/6 in an explorer idea. KICKASS!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glen - LOL, I know there's a classifieds, I was putting in a shameless plug :D

fangotango - Thanks! I don't (and neither should anybody else) really mind the bickering about emissions and such as most of it was stuff that doesn't particularly concern me. He didn't think it was practical, or wise, but I own the stuff outright, and I'm not scared of a challenge.

To any doubters, I'm the kinda guy who would do stuff like this if I had the $$$:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1E_OBPpEVs&feature=related

Back