• Register Today It's free!

Completely Remove Trim?

jsotomar

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Can anyone point me to a thread that goes through the steps of removing all the trimming from the ex? Searched to no avail. I have trimming on bumpers, fenders, quarters and all doors.

I might be buying a parts explorer in the next month and will be taking off bumpers, doors, hood, etc. The parts ex has the same trim, but instead of gray, it's Gold. So wouldnt this be a smooth surface as opposed to the gray (textured) surfaced (since its painted)?? Might be plasti-dipping trim, but dont want 2 different textures.

Can it be done WITHOUT breaking?

TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the trip that is on the bumpers, that cannot be removed without removing the bumpers them selves, those are just one piece. Now for the trim that is on everything else, that all can be removed. But trust me, it is a pain in the friggin ass to do it. The only point in taking this trim off is if you plan to replace the bumpers, because yes the trim that is painted on these third gens is smooth, as compared to the textured plastics. But as for taking off the plastics you'll want a large flat head with a towel wrapped around the end of it to squeeze in between the plastic and door and push it away, the plastics are just held on by body clips. (The towel and screw driver are how I got mine off).

No, the clips that hold the wheel well together are different. Can't describe them both to you, just know that they look different. Unless I am remembering wrong, I do know they are the same clips that hold your inside door panels on.

Got it. Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Yeah no problem, I only know because I started to take off all my trim to paint it, then realized it was gonna be a pain so I left it on and new papered the hell out of it and used a lot of painters tape and left it on.

Back