mountaineer chop top. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mountaineer chop top.

I really like that !!! Great job on the metal fab and body work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome job.....

At first i was thike wtf looks dumb then seen the final picture an was like thats pretty sweet and i bet its cheaper then a ranger on insurance

Thanks!
My wife thought I lost my damn mind.

I wanted a reg cab 4x4 ranger short bed.
Plan was to do a V8 conversion with a 351 clever I had.
For those that don't know"
That's a Windsor with 4v Cleveland heads.
Couldn't find a pick up.. So ran across this thing.
Factory 5.0 with headers AWD.
Why not.

Still has a functional sun roof and wiper in the rear.
Cool truck!
Sounds like a mustang with the cam in it and off roads like a tank!

Next is a cage.

sweet build man, i didnt like how the bed was so low at first but it makes the front end look super beefy especially with the bumper, i bet its a blast to drive with the 5.0 and so much weight reduction :p

Thanks.

I didn't like the bed so low either, But had to fallow the rear window lines when cutting it.
I will be doing a cage and some rear flow thru tubes to tie the bed in.
Got a little flex and cracking... but that aught a fix it.

And thinking about some rock guards in the rocker panels.
May make some bed rails with tubing so it appears to have a higher bed line.

Loving it so far.
Got some 36' tires in store and a Body lift.

Still a ways off from being happy.
If ever.

Ha ha.

Thanks.

I didn't like the bed so low either, But had to fallow the rear window lines when cutting it.
I will be doing a cage and some rear flow thru tubes to tie the bed in.
Got a little flex and cracking... but that aught a fix it.

And thinking about some rock guards in the rocker panels.
May make some bed rails with tubing so it appears to have a higher bed line.

Loving it so far.
Got some 36' tires in store and a Body lift.

Still a ways off from being happy.
If ever.

Ha ha.

I love it! Beats a Ranger any day too cause you get the v8 alot of hauling capacity thanks to the weight reduction and alot of towing capacity too if you went in that direction.

Very interesting. Ranger with a 5.0 and rear wiper lol. Does the back glass still open to or did you nix that?

Very interesting. Ranger with a 5.0 and rear wiper lol. Does the back glass still open to or did you nix that?

If it does the damn thing is practically a chevy avalanche too!!

Looks good, is it by chance the one that was at the river last weekend?

That looks super nice!!

What part of Texas are you in?

Love it! Tell me about those black metal pieces laying on the bedsides. What type of metal is that an did you weld those to the bedsides? I'm going to chop my BII and will need to do something like that too.

Steve

Looks great, would love to have the time and place to do a project like that. One question, how do you remove the brake lights if you need to replace a bulb or if the plastic breaks in the trails or something? I ask because it seems you covered the two screws that hold the whole assembly with your bodywork.

i saw another chop top thread and the guy left juust enough space above the tail light to get to the screws, im gunna guess he did this here as well. that or attached teh lights a different way.

Yes, removable with wing nuts now too.

i saw another chop top thread and the guy left juust enough space above the tail light to get to the screws, im gunna guess he did this here as well. that or attached the lights a different way.

I drilled my lights and mount them thru the light with sheet metal screws.

Looks great, would love to have the time and place to do a project like that. One question, how do you remove the brake lights if you need to replace a bulb or if the plastic breaks in the trails or something? I ask because it seems you covered the two screws that hold the whole assembly with your bodywork.

I cut the top tabs off and mounted them thru the lights with pilot holes and sheet metal screws.
Now they pop in and out with ease.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love it! Tell me about those black metal pieces laying on the bedsides. What type of metal is that an did you weld those to the bedsides? I'm going to chop my BII and will need to do something like that too.

Steve

I made them out of 1/8 thick 8'' strap plate steel and bent the 72 degree body line in the outside and a 1.5' lip in the inside lip to weld in to the bed side inner plates.
Its welded every 4'' down the inside and out.
3 inch beads don't weld it solid because if it cracks it wont stop.
Welding every few inches will prevent that if one breaks or cracks.

I may build a B2 next ....I dig those little rigs with a V8.
I want a B2 rock krawler next.
1 tons and a yota 4 banger or a 5.0.

Back