1997 Mountaineer into 1959 Ford F100 Build Diary | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Mountaineer into 1959 Ford F100 Build Diary

Sorry I havent put up much progress, been fighting the Flu for the last week and a half :thumbdwn: But work shall continue removing the engine this week!

Also hoped everyone had a great christmas, and hope Santa brought all of yall what you wanted...I know I got what I wanted....A NEW WELDER!!

I have my very own welder now!! So lets see what damage (or productivity) I can do on this project!!

Anyway, thanks for following guys, means a lot to me!!!:D

P.S., My father found the original pink slip to the truck, so now when I go to register it, should be a lot simpler :D Ill try to get a pic up of it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome, original pink slip and a welder. Bloody hell, doesnt get much better than that! Get well soon mate and have a good'n.

Ok, listened to your podcast...making any progress with your nice 59 F100/Mounty?

Eeck, I didn't see the email notification to this thread, hence no updates, :thud:

I'm making slow progress, but progress nonetheless. Today i hope to have that damn motor out of the frame so i can start preparations to cut the frame in half! Stay tuned for later! Despite the 12 inches of snow and ice we have, and the barely above freezing temp lol

Keen as mustard working in this weather mate, watch out for the evil flu.

little birdy told me u had the motor out

He does...from his tone it sounded like it fought him all the way, too.

LOL, Dan, you'd be right, like anything that I lay my hands on, it fights me all way :rolleyes:

But...guess what progress I made yesterday! Aside from the random snowball fights with my glorious helper :D

180858_682494698431_44013058_36685013_317747_n.jpg

181727_682494858111_44013058_36685016_4276159_n.jpg

And the motor's new home..for right now
168638_682494987851_44013058_36685019_8000804_n.jpg

Well if you need a place to store the 5.0 I think I can help you there.

I hear 1st gens have very spacious engine bays... :p:

Well if you need a place to store the 5.0 I think I can help you there.

I hear 1st gens have very spacious engine bays... :p:

Quit trying to steal Bandit-spec parts!!! I'm giving you an A4LD torque convertor, isn't that enough?!?!:p:

Are you going to tare down the motor at all and rebuild it... I did with my 5.0, 276K and all that was bad was main bearings and bearing caps. We just did new rings, bearings, gaskets...
Here's my cleaned up pics.
vfv5ds.jpg

xavwvr.jpg

2d0xiy1.jpg

Axial, after coming off the 4.0 rebuild I did last year, I promised myself I would never rebuild another motor again :D Just too much pain and sufferage lol

However, this motor ran pretty good when I did have it all together, minus little stuff that I need to repair/replace on it. But as far as the project goes, I'm pretty much not goin to touch it and just throw it back into the 59 when that time comes. Down the road, when time, and resources allow, I may rebuild it into the beast I know it is capable of, but for now, it remains as it :cool:

Should tell your helper to smile for the Camera not hide from it :p:

LOL, she wasn't in the mood to smile...considering I had JUST been under the motor, hanging from the cherry picker, trying to release the final mysical 4R70W #9 bolt. Granted,not the smartest idea, but damnit, i was goin to have that motor out of the frame one way or another :D

oh my god!

how did I miss this one??

very nice build!

I would have found a way to lift the body in one lift and have it all in one peice.

but running in tight quarters I can see how it helped.

I was just wondering if it would have been easier to just transplant the complete drive train into the F-100 frame? but Dam! I like the way you think!

oh my god!

how did I miss this one??

very nice build!

I would have found a way to lift the body in one lift and have it all in one peice.

but running in tight quarters I can see how it helped.

I was just wondering if it would have been easier to just transplant the complete drive train into the F-100 frame? but Dam! I like the way you think!

In a short answer, had I had the room and a two point lift, the body would have come off in one peice. But I do what I can in a rent house lol.

It would have been just as much work to simply drop the motor and tranny into the f-100 frame..this is an awd truck, so either I graft frames, or spend more money and try and find a 2wd tranny. I took the route where I don't have to spend money :p: Plus i wanted to keep the awd. And i like the lowered look of the vehicle :cool:

OK, got a little bit done tonight before recording the podcast. Went and snapped some shots of the body while I was nearby so I can get a grasp of what exactly I was getting myself into. It looks worse than it is, and yes, there is quite a bit of surface rust, but very few areas that need patch panels. I'll let yall drool over all that old American iron :p:
183058_685016494731_44013058_36726340_1108860_n.jpg

180713_685016524671_44013058_36726341_301640_n.jpg

And tonight I also decided to pull the tranny out of the mounty frame. Just, you know, real quick like lol. Gotta get the frame ready to hack in two :cool:
185788_685333140171_44013058_36731310_5334327_n.jpg

That't it for now, but yes, I am making progress :D

Awesome Russ, looking sweet as mate. I saw a pristine '56 on ebay down here the other day going for $45k. You are going to have one sweet truck in the near future mate.:thumbsup:

Yep greg, it's to assume that in the near future, I will have a truck...but whether or not it is sweet is still yet to be determined lol. Thanks for following along on this journey though :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh you'll have a truck alright! and it will be sweet!

Back