1/4 Mile Run Times | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1/4 Mile Run Times

my input and question: I am using the 93 DD tune and do NOT plan on gapping the plugs. Should I wait to install this new update or try it and see the results? It is getting colder here in Germany.

Yes, please wait. I do not expect people to gap the plugs down if all they want to run is the DD tune. That is why we have the SS tune, for those that want more. It's too much of an inconvenience to require people to gap the plugs down if they don't want to.

I'll be working on this all day and have a few cold weather testers that will test my changes tonight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can say that the i'm still having issues with surging at high RPMS and loss of power with gaped down plugs on the SS tune. Haven't tried the others.

Hi Guys, quick update for you.. Ken sent me a temporary revision to the tune today. It seems like a big issue was that the tune is a high boost tune, and with a stock plug gap, we are running into issues.

My observations with the revision:

Temp: 47 Degrees
Drivability: Significantly improved.The shifts felt a little weaker, not as strong as they had been previously. This was mostly apparent in the 2nd to 3rd shift. This was not a huge deal, just something I had observed.
Power: Slightly down, as I anticipated. Far improved over stock, just not as brutal as what it once was (again, this was expected for a lower boost tune).

If this was the tune I had received, and I had no basis of comparison, other than a stock tune, I would be very satisfied. The power difference that I was used to vs. this revision was just enough that I may scratch my head if I didn't know. If I got in my car, and had no idea something was changed, I may venture to say I wouldn't even notice.

Overall, I believe the revision to be a great base for us. It is my understanding that Ken will continue to build upon this revision to improve it, and perhaps increase the boost, if possible. Even so, I feel like anyone that previously had issues will be pleased with the revision.

I just got done testing the 93 revised tune and it seems 100% for me at ~50 degrees. Hopefully the same as it gets even cooler. I am gaped down from running the SS tune so I can't say for sure everyone will be good with this update, but seems like we are back on track. I haven't had much time to talk about the idle, but so far it seems much more stable as well.

The update should be pushed out very soon!

I just sent out the email to let everyone know the update is ready. I forgot to mention in the email that I just released the 91 and 93 DD tunes right now. The SS tune will follow.

I just retested the production release on the 93 R3o and it was 100% at 31F. Pulls were completely smooth from a launch, and rolls all the way to 85 mph. One launch in particular felt EXTREMELY strong and I wish I had paid more attention to how I brake torqued it because it was by far the best I've had to date.

I just retested the production release on the 93 R3o and it was 100% at 31F. Pulls were completely smooth from a launch, and rolls all the way to 85 mph. One launch in particular felt EXTREMELY strong and I wish I had paid more attention to how I brake torqued it because it was by far the best I've had to date.

Thanks for the feedback Art!

I wish I had some better tires because I can roast mine break boosting it. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like if it hooked with that much power. Maybe my transmission doesn't want to find that out. lol

I didn't receive any emails for notification, but I'll plug in to see if the update is available.

Just an update. Explorer has been running like a beast lately in these colder temps on the 93 tune. Damn thing doesn't stop pulling! Drivability is absolutely perfect.

Im ready for another update--Need more power!!

especially on the DD tune :)

No more surging and it's -10 outside! Thanks for that fix. Whatever happened to the update on lowering the shift points and other transmission changes?

these type of tunes are not to be made and then let sit and be complacent; so Ken....any updates yet??

Anyone heard anything about a tune update? Heard there was going to be an update weeks ago then everything went silent again...

Has anyone heard of any updates from Lund?

nothing...they just fell off. Has anyone tried contacting him via the Lund website?

I got an email response from a "Greg K" there about a month ago, pretty much saying they are busy with racing season and that they would send the normal mass email out when there is a update....pretty much telling me to just wait and they'll get back to us.

The lack of any kind of proactive updates is a bit disheartening since a lot of us expected more frequent updates to the tune.

absolutely....contact and updates less than every 6 months or more was not relayed during the sale and is not worth the money spent on their tune; imo.

Has anyone had any engine issues or failures with their tune?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not heard of anyone having an engine issue/failure outside of the surging issues that showed up when it got cold, but were fixed pretty quickly.

Back