2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble

2014 Ex Sport Turbo Lag

Man am I glad I stumbled on this site, and especially this post. This is my first post apologize in advance for length. I test drove a local dealers Ex Sport demo and was impressed with the pickup, handling, etc., and as part of the test drive we swung by my 86 year old mothers house to let her test out whether she could easily get in the vehicle. My wife currently drives mom round trip 60 miles three times per week for dialysis. She can't get in our current 2011 Toyota 4Runner, so wife drives 20 miles to her house loads her in old Chrysler minivan, goes shopping while mom's in treatment loads stuff in van makes return trip unloads van to 4Runner drives home unloads at home. The commute is on hilly country roads where passing can be quite stressful in an old minivan (4Runner is great!). After driving the demo we thought we had found the perfect solution and made a deal on a new 2014 Ex Sport already in transit to another dealer 250 miles away. It arrived and was delivered on a dialysis day, wife drove mom and was shocked at lack of performance when attempting to pass. I thought maybe it was just her not being used to a turbo vehicle. I drove it and it felt sluggish, since we live in the middle of nowhere son took our 4Runner and me the Ex Sport, and basically in several side by side impromptu tests the 4Runner (4 liter V6 270 HP) literally kicks the Ex Sports butt. It's not even close. My 4.6 Liter Tundra will smoke the Sport. I called dealership spoke to Service manager about issue and discussed a couple of things, he thought the Ex Sport might have boost gauge as part of display options apparently the F150 Ecoboosts do. Wanted to see if I could get a boost reading. I just downloaded Torque Pro and ordered adapter to see if I can at least gather some info before driving several hours to dealership. I hate to take to local dealer since I test drove there but didn't purchase from him. Would love to hear what happened with BMMZ dealer service. I swear mine acts like there is no boost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thx Peter

lots of interesting and useful info, I'm going to put the Ex Sport on the lift and start checking clamps....

lots of interesting and useful info, I'm going to put the Ex Sport on the lift and start checking clamps....

Will you take some pictures of the CAC hoses so I can see exactly where they are, and what clamps you're tightening please.

:thumbsup:will do.. I will be out of town for long weekend but will get to it early next week...taking a couple of cars to a car show

I have an Interceptor Utility EcoBoost right now in AZ and I don't have any issues with stumble or turbo lag at all. Its 108°F in Goodyear AZ today so perhaps the heat & lack of humidity is helping.

ALso the Utility EcoBoost is tuned differently than our SPORT models.

Loose hose

Got back from long weekend and wife had taken Explorer to dealer as outside temperature was reading a constant 185 degrees, while in the shop they found CAC hose was loose and pulled away from connection. Unfortunately I wasn't able to document via photos, but Explorer now runs like a different vehicle.

2014 Sport going into shop

Decided to have the 55-65mph "bucking" looked into. We have 5500 miles on it now and took a mini road trip this weekend to Hazard Ky. The main route is 2 lane with 55 mph speed limit. It was noticeable on the drive. Steady cruise you could feel small misfires / bucking, etc. Acceleration is fantastic, smooth, and it doesn't do it at higher speeds. Gonna have the dealership check it to be sure as we have a beach trip later this month. On that trip (200 miles each way) we got between 22.8-24.5 mpg. Lots of hills. Thrilled with the vehicle. Seats are very comfy and the nav worked great. I had the tracking issue when we first bought it and after disconnecting the battery, it seems resolved. Love the power, ride, and handling. Hopefully whatever they find is simple.

Hi, I was just wondering if you had any new information about your problem? I have a 2014 Sport also, with 4500 miles and I have not noticed this issue yet, but I have experienced a couple of others.

After sitting stuck in traffic for about 15 minutes the other day, I finally got to my turn and when I punched it, the explorer seemed to have no power, almost like it was in limp mode, for about 10 seconds. Then the engine came back to life and the vehicle continued driving normally. Something weird definitely happened.

Today I seem to have a dying battery. The last two times I went to start the Explorer, it would not start right away. I press the engine start button and hear clicking for about 2-3 seconds and then it will finally start. The lights dim down hard and the Nav system fails. I'm guessing the battery is defective or I have a short somewhere. I guess I'll be taking mine in too. :(

This just happened to me in my brand new '15, only 400 or so miles. Pressed on gas and all power completely disappeared for 1-2 seconds and then kicked back in. Good thing I wasn't trying to merge into traffic or cross an intersection. Hoping it only happens very few and far in between, or never again of course.

Tony

I have a 2014 Sport, does the rough idle/run thing every single time its started after sitting for more than an hour or two and the engine cools off. When I took it to the dealer, I was told that is normal becuase the O2 sensors need time to heat up and engage (runs open loop as per another post here). After about 90 seconds, runs just fine. I saw on another forum that if you look at the exhaust upon start, it burns black. Tested mine with the remote start and yes, black smoke for the first 10-20 seconds of runtime. From what I understand, this is normal operation.

I'm a little skeptical as tonight I'm driving a 14 Interceptor EcoBoost with 166miles on it and it has almost ZERO turbo lag........so it IS in the programming IMHO.

SGT, since your here in AZ have you ever experienced a turbo lag here? On the east side we are experiencing rain, and I have not had any lag. I'm concerned but not sure if I have driven it in the right conditions?

Thanks

Hi, I was just wondering if you had any new information about your problem? I have a 2014 Sport also, with 4500 miles and I have not noticed this issue yet, but I have experienced a couple of others...

This just happened to me in my brand new '15, only 400 or so miles. Pressed on gas and all power completely disappeared for 1-2 seconds and then kicked back in...

Hi dave_23 and Tony407,

Sounds like a trip to the dealer might be a good idea; they'll inspect and let you know if any repairs are needed. I'm always happy to do what I can to help, too; just PM me your info and I'll research some options. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest! :)

Crystal

I have a 2014 Sport, does the rough idle/run thing every single time its started after sitting for more than an hour or two and the engine cools off. When I took it to the dealer, I was told that is normal becuase the O2 sensors need time to heat up and engage (runs open loop as per another post here). After about 90 seconds, runs just fine. I saw on another forum that if you look at the exhaust upon start, it burns black. Tested mine with the remote start and yes, black smoke for the first 10-20 seconds of runtime. From what I understand, this is normal operation.
Although I don't have the Sport, I do have the same engine. I have not experienced any rough idle or hesitation. I used the remote start this morning so I could observe the exhaust and there was nothing to see. No exhaust of any kind was visible. In the "old days", black exhaust usually meant that the engine was running too rich. Not sure with all these new computerized engines if that is still a valid sign or not.

Peter

Although I don't have the Sport, I do have the same engine. I have not experienced any rough idle or hesitation. I used the remote start this morning so I could observe the exhaust and there was nothing to see. No exhaust of any kind was visible. In the "old days", black exhaust usually meant that the engine was running too rich. Not sure with all these new computerized engines if that is still a valid sign or not.

Peter

Yeah, I'm still not sold on the explanation, but does only do it for about the first 1000ft of driving. I did find posts about this issue in the F150 Ecoboost forums, so it seems to affect the 3.5L EB engines, but I'm with you that it seems odd in the year 2014 that we would see any black smoke coming from a vehicle. Next service interval I will bring it up again and see what they say.

Maybe some of the other forum members with Sports could try a cold start and see if they get any black smoke?

SGT, since your here in AZ have you ever experienced a turbo lag here? On the east side we are experiencing rain, and I have not had any lag. I'm concerned but not sure if I have driven it in the right conditions?

Thanks

When I had my Sport in AZ I never had a single issue, I was there for last few big storms in July and never anything. Even a few of those days where humidity was much higher than normal after storm and nothing. I even had a 14 Interceptor Utility EcoBoost that I drove around Goodyear and out to Mesa numerous times with nothing. Mesa PD used it for the last two weeks and they reported no issues either.

I just inquired on Mesa and you are correct! Ok, so I'm assuming what we call humidity isn't what others are experiencing that causes the stumbling. I've kept waiting to see if it would happen and nothing! So either I'm in proper conditions or possibly mine doesn't stumble? 3k miles and only negative is a newly acquired rock-to-windshield... Not bad!

I live in AZ on the east side of the valley and haven't had this issue, but I am still in break-in period and haven't applied WOT (wide open throttle).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Dr, I'm in Gilbert. Keep us updated if you do....

Back