• Register Today It's free!

Lost remote entry fob

stonerhino

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer v6 XLT
So today the fob broke off my keychain between the house and the vehicle. I didnt notice it was gone until 30mins afterwards. There's a good chance some dubious person has it in their possession.

Any way to temp disable the remote entry system?
What steps do I need to take at this point?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pick another one up from a parts store (Dorman makes aftermarket ones.). Then program it to your Ex, 5 different times. I believe this should clear out any codes. The Ex can only be synced with 5 different remotes. Maybe someone else can say whether or not my idea would work.
Also, what are the odds whomever found it will know it's for your vehicle?

Pick another one up from a parts store (Dorman makes aftermarket ones.). Then program it to your Ex, 5 different times. I believe this should clear out any codes. The Ex can only be synced with 5 different remotes.

Maybe someone else can say whether or not my idea would work.

I had eyeballed those the other day. Was considering a replacement. Didnt buy it because I'm really out of cashflow atm. Im a month behind on the water bill no thanks to having the transmission worked on.

Also, what are the odds whomever found it will know it's for your vehicle.

I've already had my mustang broken into, two 16" subs ripped out of the body and then trashed by pelting it with paving stones stolen from my neighbor. They tried very hard to get those 16's. VERY hard. They left a lot of blood that the police had no problem locating the culprit. Although I wish these odds were stacked in my favor, I fear it was in such close proximity that it would be a dead giveaway.

I picked one up today. According to these "self programming instructions", initiating programming clears all other remotes out of the system. You have to have any remote present that you are going to use in order to "pair" it. If you dont press a button on the remote, it wont associate and gets locked out.

This is good news at least.

That is great to know! Losing a key is a much bigger ordeal, you need to have two good ones to program a third without involving a Ford dealer.

Mike

Tell me about it. Had to do that crap with mom's F150. Person she bought it from only had 1 key. After wasting several days going to several locksmiths and spending 300$ on various failures and fuel, she bit the bullet and let me take it to the stealership (which i said she needed to do in the first place!).

I got one off amazon too. All you gotta do it put your key in the ignition and turn it to on and back off 10 times ending in the on position. Your locks will cycle, push one button on each remote you want programmed and then turn your key off. This will program the computer to only recognize the remotes you just programmed, clearing out the old remotes.

Thanks for the confirmation guys! I can rest better.

As irony would have it, the old fob was located. It was found in the leaves at the foot of the stairs going into my house. Confirmed, it no longer works.

Back