LED Conversion Phenomenon | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Conversion Phenomenon

So I wanted to replace all the bulbs in my 2000 explorer xlt 4x4 and I knew I would need an LED flasher, got one, works, all LEDs work as well. Funny problem, with the lights* off my blinkers cause the opposite sides tail/brake light to blink as well and vise versa, with lights* on my rear turn signals are on like tail lights but blink as intended when turn signal is on. Also funny, when switching between turn signals my center high mounted blinks along with the turn signal but dimmed, if brakes are depressed center and tail lights work as normal but turn signals are still on as if they were tail lights. Not only are my turn signals on like tail lights with lights* on but the turn signal indicators on the instrument cluster are dimly lit at all times and brighten as turn signals are turned on. Anybody got an answer for this weird phenomenon? I have a feeling it'll be something right in front of my face but thought I'd get some help. Thanks!

-Mark

*parking and/or headlights
Headlights work fine, Thus, the reason for the asterisk to not confuse anyone!

Update: Was looking over my ebay purchase history, could it be possible that it's because both my tail/brake light LED and turn signal LED are both considered replacments for 3157 and 3156 instead of just one or the other?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have your lights installed backwards. Take them out of the bulb holders, flip the light bulb around, and re-install. LEDs are a diode and are made to only allow current to flow in one direction. What is happening is that your contacts on your bulbs are in the wrong position, so you are lighting the opposite side by the current flowing through the grounds and grounding out through your running light.

Short answer, LED bulbs can only install in one direction in your bulb holders. If they are not lighting, or not functioning correctly, you need to re-install them rotated 180 degrees.

You have your lights installed backwards. Take them out of the bulb holders, flip the light bulb around, and re-install. LEDs are a diode and are made to only allow current to flow in one direction. What is happening is that your contacts on your bulbs are in the wrong position, so you are lighting the opposite side by the current flowing through the grounds and grounding out through your running light.

Short answer, LED bulbs can only install in one direction in your bulb holders. If they are not lighting, or not functioning correctly, you need to re-install them rotated 180 degrees.
I installed them with the lights on to ensure that they were installed correctly by lighting up, I will toy with them by flipping and such even though all are lit correctly. Thanks FIND

If you still had incandescent lights in, the LEDs could have been lighting through the grounds. There could be other issues of course that are causing your particular problem of course. But, the most common issue is not observing the correct polarity for the lights.

I am having almost the same exact issue!!
Except only my passenger side blinkers stay on & in the dash sporadically when using the brakes. But the third brake light is also the same when using the blinkers.

I am having almost the same exact issue!!
Except only my passenger side blinkers stay on & in the dash sporadically when using the brakes. But the third brake light is also the same when using the blinkers.
I ended up just using regular halogen for blinkers and brake lights :/ Backup lights are LED and nice and bright. If I decide to give it another try I will let you know if I succeed!

I ended up just using regular halogen for blinkers and brake lights :/ Backup lights are LED and nice and bright. If I decide to give it another try I will let you know if I succeed!
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I may test the passenger side blinker with a halogen. If that fixes all the problems, I may just use a resistor on that side. Have some extras coming as I'm doing the girflriend's car to LEDs & they dont have a flasher relay. So have to use an inline resistor on each blinker. I'll try tomorrow & post what I find out. Around 22 degrees out tonight!

Back