Should I get a transmission flush? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I get a transmission flush?

p38fln

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT 4x4
I just bought this used 2003 Explorer with 160,000 miles on it. I know that hardly anyone gets the fluid and filter changed at proper intervals, if at all.

Should I get the transmission flushed, or just have a standard filter / fluid change?

Is there any way to tell if it's ever been done?

I'm absolutely terrified of doing a transmission flush - the last vehicle I had this service done on was a 2006 Focus, and a vacuum hose somehow blew during the flush which added $750 to the repair cost.

The dealership said it was like that when I brought it in. I think I would have noticed my car refusing to run at idle speeds... And I think they would have mentioned having to push it into the service bay. I never went back to that one, had a different dealer do the repair.

Change the fluid more than once and the filter, it's not perfect but it should flush alot of the old fluid out....If you hire some one to do the job and break something it should be on their dime....

Good read with no definitive answer. How's the color and smell?

What is a Transmission Flush? Process and Advice
http://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/what-is-a-transmission-flush/
Machines typically connect to the cooler lines. The line that connects your vehicle’s transmission to the cooler will be disconnected and attached to the machine’s line in. This will allow the car’s fluids to drain into the machine. The line out from the machine then connects to your car’s cooler. This allows the new fluid in the machine to be transferred into the vehicle. The transfer process only utilizes the pressure produced by the car’s pump to circulate it, so no damage can be done to the internal parts of the system.

Note: Some service centers use machines that add additional force to blast fluid and/or cleaning solution through the system. This is NEVER a good idea as this can damage seals and/or lodge sludge in places it shouldn’t be as mentioned above.

Just did a filter and fluid on mine, been 3 years since the last. I also re-torqued the valve body and the solenoid pack, something you cant do with a flush. 6 quarts of fluid and she shifts as smooth as butter. I would have adjusted the bands but as its shifting so smooth I don't think I will bother. The last time I did it I am sure it was the first as the magnet was covered in goop. This time there was barely any gunk on the magnet. That's with towing a 3500lbs camper all summer as well. Not a big fan of the flushes myself, and a filter and fluid change seems to work just fine.

Back