Broken Outside Mirror | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Outside Mirror

2015 Explorer Limited

Hi guys! Newbie here: Leased a 2015 Explorer Limited back in November in white.

Reason I'm posting is I got a little too close to my garage and broke the passenger side mirror (power folding, signal and puddle light). Searched online and stumbled upon the site. Saw some on flea-bay but pretty expensive as it's for the whole assembly.

Everything still works it's just the casing is broken at the outer edge. Shot in the dark here: Any one have an extra lying around that I can salvage the case? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On Fordparts.com the mirrors all look the same although part numbers are different. Unless someone here has first hand knowledge regarding the plug, it may be an idea to contact your dealerships parts department. They may have more detailed info. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I looked at the youtube video again and compare with mine, I notice my car has less wires - only 3. So I think it is the same plug, but because the connection wires are not available, I won't get these features even I put on a heated mirror.

can someone confirm if the side mirror shell for the base explorer will fit the parts inside the limited side mirror (signal, heated, folding)?

Being a leased vehicle you need to get this thing fixed correctly or you're gonna pay through the nose at turn-in time. Just take it into the body shop and bite the bullet to get it repaired.

can someone confirm if the side mirror shell for the base explorer will fit the parts inside the limited side mirror (signal, heated, folding)?
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
If you check fordparts.com it looks like all models have the same mirror except for the police version. As Halwg pointed out, because it is a lease, it has to be repaired properly. A body shop should be able to tell you what is required or perhaps even the dealer's parts department.
I always used the dealer's body shops for any repairs that were required so that way at lease end if there is any issue they can sort it out.

Peter

So I ordered from Benny from Levittown Ford and lowest price for my mirrors anywhere! Mine had everything signals, heated, power folding, blind spot. Would have been $600+ tax here in Canada, got for US$360 + $40 shipped to Toronto, no tax as it was out of state! So yeah saved a ton!

Just did the swap last weekend, just followed the how to video that is linked on this thread. It was actually easier to remove the cap while the entire assembly is screwed to the car. Fingers hurt afterwards but was well worth it!

Thanks Benny!

PS
I have a fully working albeit cracked (outer shell only) passenger side mirror (with new unpainted) black cap if anyone is interested or wants to salvage the parts.

2015 Explorer xlt Mirror Help

Hi everyone. Im going to be replacing a friends driver side door mirror on his 2015 Explorer XLT. Can someone tell me if i have to pull the door panel off or can i do the job with just pulling off the little black cover at the top.

Im not sure at this point if the wire connections go into the door or will it be under the plastic cover. Im hoping i do not have to pull the whole door panel off so he can just wait for it.

On some mirrors i replaced in the past some of them had the wire connection inside the door and the panel had to come off. Thanks!

You will have to take the door panel slightly off to access a bolt behind the door panel with a ratchet. I replaced my driver side mirror after my dad destroyed it with the garage. Taking the door panel isn't too hard. You just need a ratchet set and know where to pry on the doors. There's a good pic on where the bolts are located on this forum, I can try to find it for you.

Hi everyone. Im going to be replacing a friends driver side door mirror on his 2015 Explorer XLT. Can someone tell me if i have to pull the door panel off or can i do the job with just pulling off the little black cover at the top.

Im not sure at this point if the wire connections go into the door or will it be under the plastic cover. Im hoping i do not have to pull the whole door panel off so he can just wait for it.

On some mirrors i replaced in the past some of them had the wire connection inside the door and the panel had to come off. Thanks!
I did a 'search' and found this thread where I have merged yours. Have a look at the video in post 6. That may help.

Peter

So the wife tore the mirror off the explorer...

Hey everyone,

I've been hanging out in the shadows looking at the threads and now I have something to post about. My wife busted the mirror off the explorer tonight so I'm trying to find a replacement. I find plenty of replacements OE and aftermarket but I can't find exactly what have which is Power folding, blind spot monitor, power mirror w/ memory for the drivers side.

Any help is appreciated.

JT

Oh, that sucks! Time to get a new wife.

I guess your wife will be the only one on this board that won't complain about the mirrors being too small. :)

Shame on you! Blaming your wife! Flowers and chocolate are now required to get you out of the doghouse!:D btw suck it up and just order the right on from the dealer. Lol

Hey everyone,

I've been hanging out in the shadows looking at the threads and now I have something to post about. My wife busted the mirror off the explorer tonight so I'm trying to find a replacement. I find plenty of replacements OE and aftermarket but I can't find exactly what have which is Power folding, blind spot monitor, power mirror w/ memory for the drivers side.

Any help is appreciated.

JT
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
As you can see in reading this thread, you're not the first to give credit for this to the wife.:D

Peter

I didn't blame the wife, blame implies that she might not have done it. I did, however, send flowers and ordered the mirror at the dealer. I only cried a little. Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

O.K., so I received my replacement mirror yesterday & will attempt to install it tomorrow.
From watching the YouTube video mentioned earlier in this thread, it appears as though you can just swap out the black bezel that surrounds the mirror glass. That is all that I need to do, as that is what is broken on mine (and of course I don't believe that Ford sells it seperately).
How does the mirror glass come out? Just pull on it & it releases from its catches?

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How does the mirror glass come out? Just pull on it & it releases from its catches?

Mark

Hey guys,
First post here and I'm curious also.

My wife clipped a hedge yesterday morning, wouldn't you know it I was trimming the hedges that day :(

I ordered the correct OEM heated glass with convex blind spot mirror and just need to replace the cracked glass. The bottom of the bezel popped loose but that should be an easy fix once I get the glass out.

As I understand it, there are two prongs that I need to get to behind the glass. Is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

- Blake

P.S. This is my second Explorer after driving a VW for 17 years so any DIY isn't too intimidating :D

Back