Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

I had this problem only a couple of weeks after buying my. Explorer. Eventually, the problem went away. I know the system gets automatic updates so perhaps one of those fixed the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a new explorer sport, I got it 4 weeks ago, yesterday XM started dropping out with the acquiring signal explorer message, this is totally unacceptable. I have an appointment to bring it in next week.

As soon as the clouds cleared out XM started working again. Seems like it stopped working on Wednesday when it got cloudy and started working a few minutes ago driving back from lunch as the sky cleared out. The XM radio in my old truck worked flawlessly in all weather conditions.

As soon as the clouds cleared out XM started working again. Seems like it stopped working on Wednesday when it got cloudy and started working a few minutes ago driving back from lunch as the sky cleared out. The XM radio in my old truck worked flawlessly in all weather conditions.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As mentioned in this thread, there is nothing the dealer can do at this time unless Ford has come up with a recent resolution. Go to the dealer anyway to have them make a record of your issue.

Peter

New member here. Hi. New 2018 Explorer in February with no issues - then intermittent, often lengthy, satellite reception failures have been occurring since July. Found this thread via a google search to find out I'm not alone with this. Thanks for the forum.

Took to dealer and described the symptoms; they called pretty quick today with the SSM 47499 info. So I'm in the system as having the problem. Dealer says there's no mechanism to notify me when there's a disposition, so I'll check with them periodically as well as follow this thread. They also said a firmware push might solve it once the engineers figure out the issue, so it might just clear up without another dealer visit.

Kudos to the dealer for not dismissing my issue as it apparently worked fine while they had it.

I had prepared a brief YouTube video showing the problem in case they didn't see the trouble. Didn't need it so I'll paste the link below for the amusement of the forum:

2018 Explorer Sirius Satellite Acquiring Signal problem

This is exactly what is happening in my 18 Explorer Platinum. It has been happening for about a month. Of course, it does not happen when the dealer has it. It is extremely frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason as to when or where this happens. Our other two satellite radios work just fine. I have noticed several Sirius updates to the radio, but the problem still exists. I have called Sirius, resent the signal, and nothing has helped. It is a daily occurrence at this point, making the satellite radio virtually worthless. However, the dealer can't even attempt to fix anything since they haven't seen the problem. So frustrating. I will be following this thread to see what others have found to fix it. Thanks for posting your experiences.

This is exactly what is happening in my 18 Explorer Platinum. It has been happening for about a month. Of course, it does not happen when the dealer has it. It is extremely frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason as to when or where this happens. Our other two satellite radios work just fine. I have noticed several Sirius updates to the radio, but the problem still exists. I have called Sirius, resent the signal, and nothing has helped. It is a daily occurrence at this point, making the satellite radio virtually worthless. However, the dealer can't even attempt to fix anything since they haven't seen the problem. So frustrating. I will be following this thread to see what others have found to fix it. Thanks for posting your experiences.
As mentioned in this thread, there is no use in calling Sirius. Ford has acknowledged the problem and is trying to resolve it. All the dealer can do is to make a record of your issue. The likely cause of the issue is also discussed in this thread. See post #108 on this page.

Peter

As mentioned in this thread, there is no use in calling Sirius. Ford has acknowledged the problem and is trying to resolve it. All the dealer can do is to make a record of your issue. The likely cause of the issue is also discussed in this thread. See post #108 on this page.

Peter
Thanks.
Actually, I would recommend calling Sirius if only for the fact that they gave me some credit on my account for the intermittent service. And I will continue to call them or threaten to cancel because the service is virtually unusable. Maybe that would at least get them to put some heat on Ford to get this fixed.

Thanks.
Actually, I would recommend calling Sirius if only for the fact that they gave me some credit on my account for the intermittent service.......
Good point.

I have a new 2018 Ex Plat with 200 miles on it. The SiriusXM radio works...sometimes. I am often left without anything as the radio displays "Acquiring Satellite Signal", often after I have been listening for a while.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem?
Same exact problem. 2018 xlt 3000 miles. Xm radio rarely works. Problem has to happen at dealer or they wont fix it.

Same exact problem. 2018 xlt 3000 miles. Xm radio rarely works. Problem has to happen at dealer or they wont fix it.
As mentioned, there is nothing for the dealer to fix at this time. Dealers are waiting for Ford to release a 'fix'. Just make sure the dealer has a record of your issue.

Peter

As mentioned, there is nothing for the dealer to fix at this time. Dealers are waiting for Ford to release a 'fix'. Just make sure the dealer has a record of your issue.

Peter

I brought mine in to be checked out yesterday. it was not working yesterday but today it is working again so it worked out. I am saving the paperwork from the dealer for proof when the fix is released.

Hello, just read this thread Monday and see that others have the same Sat Radio Acquiring Signal problem, and tried the quick fix radio refresh signal attempt bit no improvement. I took mine in today and got the same answer from the dealer as I read/learned about here, no fix yet, but problem is acknowledged and in Ford engineering. It seems crazy that for three months not a single problem then 2 -3 weeks ago it started dropping out and now rarely works. Hope a fix is out in the near future.

peterk9 said:

Welcome to the Forum

Peter

I am not criticizing you Peterk9, but I believe the Ford engineers response reminds me of a old television commercial. It's one when executives respond to valid customer complaints and just kick the can down the road to buy more time. They hope people will simply go away after being told, "We're working on it!" To me IMHO, "Ford" has been saying "We're working on it!" too long for a valid technical problem.

......... It seems crazy that for three months not a single problem then 2 -3 weeks ago it started dropping out and now rarely works. Hope a fix is out in the near future.
That seems to be the usual way. It works initially for a week or so and then the problem begins.

Peter

Technical Service Bulletins of the 2018 Ford Explorer

There have been 22 technical service bulletins issued for the 2018 Ford Explorer.

1 2018 Ford Explorer equipment TSB (Bulletin SSM 47499)
Bulletin Date: Aug. 30, 2018
Component: Equipment.
Bulletin Summary: Some 2018 explorer and escape vehicles equipped with a 4g tcu modem may exhibit an acquiring signal message with a loss of satellite radio reception while driving in unobstructed areas. If normal workshop manual (wsm) diagnosis and testing
Vehicles covered in this TSB:
2018 Ford Escape, 2018 Ford Explorer.

Technical Service Bulletins of the 2018 Ford Explorer

There have been 22 technical service bulletins issued for the 2018 Ford Explorer.

1 2018 Ford Explorer equipment TSB (Bulletin SSM 47499)
Bulletin Date: Aug. 30, 2018
Component: Equipment.
Bulletin Summary: Some 2018 explorer and escape vehicles equipped with a 4g tcu modem may exhibit an acquiring signal message with a loss of satellite radio reception while driving in unobstructed areas. If normal workshop manual (wsm) diagnosis and testing
Vehicles covered in this TSB:
2018 Ford Escape, 2018 Ford Explorer.
^^^ posted in post #93.;)

Update. Ford bills you for gas while they have your car for over a week trying to pin point the problem with Sat and navigation.

Update. Ford bills you for gas while they have your car for over a week trying to pin point the problem with Sat and navigation.
Not sure why they would 'Bill' you unless the level gets low. Wouldn't they just use what's in the tank? For this issue, there isn't a reason to leave the vehicle at all since there isn't anything that they can do. I guess perhaps the dealer wasn't aware of that. Sadly, tt is not unusual for some of our members to be more informed than the dealer's service personnel.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, they drove the car so much trying to duplicate the issue that they emptied the tank then tried to charge me. They are keeping the car because Ford has authorized full diagnostic testing. We will see the outcome.

Back