My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ow. That looks like rang a bell. Good thing Sandi wasn't helping, you might have kicked her in the head. I bet you kicked something though-

Those hi lift jacks are kinda like a concealed weapon. You don't want to even talk about one or get it out unless you absolutely need it. See what happens when you do?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I remember the last time a person smacked something with a hammer while bodies was close.... Don't do that no more!

Glad that's all that happened, couple inches and you could be a Helen Keller member.

Ow. That looks like rang a bell. Good thing Sandi wasn't helping, you might have kicked her in the head. I bet you kicked something though-

Those hi lift jacks are kinda like a concealed weapon. You don't want to even talk about one or get it out unless you absolutely need it. See what happens when you do?

I remember the last time a person smacked something with a hammer while bodies was close.... Don't do that no more!

Glad that's all that happened, couple inches and you could be a Helen Keller member.

Oh believe me, following the expected first response, my mind went instantly to what could happen both to my hearing and my mental faculties (such as they are). That's why I asked Sandi if I was bleeding out of my ear canal or just my outer ear. Turns out I cut my outer ear and there doesn't appear to be any inner damage. Someone was looking out for me.

There must have been a price for the protection though. Later that day the only size drill bit I had that would finish my task to the level I wanted broke mid job.

Never did say what the other project was I was working on when I rang my bell...

The grill guard that is on the front of my truck is actually mounted to the frame via "clamps". There is a piece of 1/4" steel placed across the top of the frame rail, then the mounting bracket (also made of 1/4" steel) is placed below the frame rail. Two long bolts then go through the bracket, up along each side of the frame rail to the steel placed across the top of the frame rail, basically clamping the bracket to the frame. It works, but isn't as secure as I'd like it to be. Particularly as I use the grill guard to mount the recovery hooks to. That said...

I went to the pick-a-part and got as many of those doubled up bolts that hold the rear bumpers on 2nd gen Explorers that I could get my hands on. Then last Saturday I removed the front bumper and really studied closely how the grill guard mounts work. I realized that I could drill holes through the mounting brackets (don't worry, I'll take pictures later) and on through the frame rail, and use those Bumper Bolts to bolt the brackets directly to the frame, going through the front of the boxed frame to place the bolts inside the frame. There would be two very large bolts holding each bracket in place, eliminating the ridiculous clamp setup. This is the task I was working on when my Drill Bit broke a week ago. I had one hole on each side completed so I bolted everything back together and called it good til I could replace the 5/8" drill bit with a better one. Then I get to start the project over, removing the bumper, the grill guard, etc. just to drill two more holes in each bracket. fun fun fun

Why go to all these lengths for the extra strength (and all these paragraphs to tell you about it)? I had another thought as I sat here cooling off after working in the back yard. I am doing all this so I can be confident in the recovery hooks I am installing. If I am that confident in the increased strength, couldn't I have a mounting bracket for a winch made that would mount to the 1/4" steel grill guard mounting brackets? The winch would mount between the grill guard plates, right in front of the bumper, below the grill and above the air vents in the bumper..... thoughts?

Those big bumper bolts have come in handy for a number of things. I used several to mount my receiver hitch. Just cut the steel strap joining them together and I have a bolt that doesn't require two wrenches to install the receiver. (with the set up now I remove the receiver when I'm going anywhere I suspect I'll need the extra clearance.)

It would work, but you would hurt your approach angle more. That's why I tucked mine in between the frame rails, behind the bumper. It would have to mount up higher above the bumper to be out of the way, but that blocks air flow.

Hmmmm.... Good point. I'll look into that. Maybe a receiver mounted in the air vents.

Took a trip yesterday with the Mesa4Wheelers. We went along the upper Sycamore trail, then followed that with a drive to the Sunflower Mine. The Upper Sycamore was a nice drive, a Muddy trail through a heavily forested area, with muddy trails. (Its been raining a LOT here... very unusual). Following the area with "heavy vegitation", there was a typical desert area with hills (muddy hills!) and a lot of washed out areas. Fun fun fun.
Following the Upper Sycamore, we headed for the Sunflower Mine. I was assured the trail was "no more difficult than the one we had just been on, not as muddy, just rocky". We started along, a nice easy rocky shelf road along the mountains with nice scenery. Then we headed down a steep shelf road that ended with a sharp turn to the right. And there I saw it. The Nice babbling stream that I'd been admiring down in the valley was one that required crossing, and driving down, many times. Followed by a climb that involved several steps higher than my Eddie Bauer bumper liked. But I persevered, and followed the rock crawler jeep up the hill. We made it to the mine! After apologizing to me about the exageration of how easy the trail was, I was assured that downhill was easier than uphill...lol. They were right. I got a few videos and pics.

101318SunflowerMine01.jpg

101318SunflowerMine02.jpg

101318SunflowerMine03.jpg

101318SunflowerMine04.jpg

101318SunflowerMine05.jpg

101318SunflowerMine06.jpg

101318SunflowerMine07.jpg

101318SunflowerMine08.jpg

101318SunflowerMine09.jpg

101318UpperSycamore01.jpg

101318UpperSycamore02.jpg

101318UpperSycamore03.jpg

101318UpperSycamore04.jpg

Nice pics you got there. Did you get any of your Ex doing what the Jeep guys did?

Actually, they are somewhat impressed. Listening to CB chatter I heard them express everything from amazement that the Explorer could pull that off, to admiration for me trying... LoL

I did break the bracket holding my external transmission filter in place while I attempted to get up a rock step. The hoses held however, so I tucked it back up into the bumper and wrapped it with wire, to be repaired later.

Here are some videos I shot from my dash. Not a lot of pics from outside the truck yet, though others who were on the trip will post their pics soon and i can display those. In the meantime here are some unedited videos.

In this video you'll see a white Jeep. He failed the climb, and was returning home.
The "Thump" you hear at 7:55 was me using my drivers mirror to smack that cactus. LoL No harm to either though.

In the Sunflower Mine videos, everyplace you see running water is usually a dry creekbed. Thats how much rain we've been getting these past couple weeks. Its really awesome... usually.
When you hear the CB referring to "Mike", thats the leader in the "Happy Face" Jeep. Nice guy but doesn't pay enough attention to whats behind him. However in his defense, my Mic wasn't working well at all and I had given up on transmitting. I need to get a powered Mic.
Never realized all the noise I make when I'm alone in the truck!

Last video was the trip up to the mine, this one is the return along the same path. Much easier, as gravity helps you rather than hinders you. LoL

I really need to remember to mount my phone in the "landscape" position when I'm making these videos. Might get more of whats going on to the sides. But I always slap it up there vertically for everyday use (GPS, bluetooth to the stereo, etc) so its kind of a habit. I will improve!

Man, we gotta get you on some bigger tires and better shocks. Those videos look brutal on your back.

Glad to see your active with it out there. Way more than I have been, this past year for sure!

Remember these were taken by a cell phone mounted via a magnet to the dash. That said...Shocks are on the to do list.
Not getting bigger tires til these are worn out, and a body lift has been done.
And thanks! It has been fun getting out in the desert.

Love the Videos. I had my Video running non stop when I was out and about. I need to get out there again.

Added some edits and comments to the videos. :)

Not a lot of pics posted by others (at least not that include me.. hehe). And those were included in a newsletter that I had to printscreen, paste, and crop so the quality is so-so. But here they are...

LowerSycamore01.jpg

That Rock Crawler you see above has an Olds 455 with twin Turbos on it. hehe Its fun to watch

SunflowerMine01.jpg

UpperSycamore01.jpg

This is the White Jeep mentioned earlier.. not making it up.

Edit: PS, by the way, the good looking guy in the front is me, wearing a shirt from our Colorado trip of 2017.

The Aforementioned Twin Turbo 455 Olds

100618LowerSycamore01.jpg

The aluminum foil you see is the owners lunch... leftover pizza being heated up. lol

Back