1996 Explorer V8 AWD drive train

John Quinn

Reaction score
City, State
Culleoka, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited V8
I'm experiencing two things.
One, when moving at slow speed in the driveway there's a rattling that I can feel in the steering wheel and floor.
Someone suggested the "pilot bearing" (which the local auto parts store has no idea what that is).
Did they mean the front CV joint on the 2nd axle?
Second, at certain speeds when the overdrive engages, it "clunks" or vibrates rather loudly shaking the car, then settles in.
At or above about 2,000 rpm or moderate acceleration, it almost never happens.
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be front driveshaft or CV axle related. A pilot bearing is something standard transmission vehicles can have problems with, but it would have nothing to do with your truck. I suggest you try removing the front driveshaft and driving around the block to see if the problem stops.

Tip - Never ask auto parts store counter people for advice. 99% of them know nothing about cars or trucks. What do you expect from people who work retail for $10 an hour?

ask us instead! Your 96 is in good hands here

Clanking and clunking make me think possible front driveshaft u-joint.

Tip - Never ask auto parts store counter people for advice. 99% of them know nothing about cars or trucks. What do you expect from people who work retail for $10 an hour?

As someone who worked at an auto parts store when I was 17, I can vouch for this advice.

Pilot bearing is not some obscure part, literally every manual transmission vehicle has one and its a regular maintenance item when the clutch and flywheel is replaced. It has nothing to do with the symptoms you have.

The second problem means you need to change the ATF.

I'm experiencing two things.
One, when moving at slow speed in the driveway there's a rattling that I can feel in the steering wheel and floor.
Someone suggested the "pilot bearing" (which the local auto parts store has no idea what that is).
Did they mean the front CV joint on the 2nd axle?
Second, at certain speeds when the overdrive engages, it "clunks" or vibrates rather loudly shaking the car, then settles in.
At or above about 2,000 rpm or moderate acceleration, it almost never happens.
Any ideas?
I too have a 96 Ford explore AWD V-8 , check your exhaust system sounds like the exhaust shields are rattling

My 96 was doing that bang and shudder into overdrive, had my friend at the ford dealer flush it with BG synthetic fluid on there special machine and the problem has gone away.

As someone who worked at an auto parts store when I was 17, I can vouch for this advice.

Pilot bearing is not some obscure part, literally every manual transmission vehicle has one and its a regular maintenance item when the clutch and flywheel is replaced. It has nothing to do with the symptoms you have.

Can also vouch for this advice, as someone who used to work in auto parts store multiple years ago.

My 96 was doing that bang and shudder into overdrive, had my friend at the ford dealer flush it with BG synthetic fluid on there special machine and the problem has gone away.
What is BG Synthetic fluid , is this a special transmission fluid?
Can you take a picture of the bottle or a link where I can order some

What is BG Synthetic fluid , is this a special transmission fluid?
Can you take a picture of the bottle or a link where I can order some
Heres a pic of my Truck actually getting the flush and here is the product BG Premium Full Synthetic ATF | BG Products, Inc.
Not sure where to order it since it was the ford dealer that stocks the BG products. Also did a Trans Flush with the same BG machine on my 2007 Crown Victoria and its fluid looked way worse then my Explorer, Ive had no problems since and just used off the shelf Castrol Mercon V.

thumbnail_image000000.jpg

ask us instead! Your 96 is in good hands here
Do you know how much end play there should be between the axles at the transfer case on an AWD V8?
I was told by someone with a '97 (mine is a '96) that there's a chain inside the case and he had his replaced along with the sprockets and the end play is virtually zero.
On an odd note, I filled the tank with hi-test and added a can of Seafoam to try and clear an EGR code. 99% of the low speed "clicking" noises went away. Any explanation for that?
I had a good trusted mechanic at the local Co-Op garage go through the front end and everything was tight, except for the transfer case.
Even the original ball joints were tight. (Truck has 85k original on it)

Do you know how much end play there should be between the axles at the transfer case on an AWD V8?
I was told by someone with a '97 (mine is a '96) that there's a chain inside the case and he had his replaced along with the sprockets and the end play is virtually zero.
On an odd note, I filled the tank with hi-test and added a can of Seafoam to try and clear an EGR code. 99% of the low speed "clicking" noises went away. Any explanation for that?
I had a good trusted mechanic at the local Co-Op garage go through the front end and everything was tight, except for the transfer case.
Even the original ball joints were tight. (Truck has 85k original on it)

Anytime you have chains and gears there is going to be (and needs to be) play. How much play should there be on a 24 year old vehicle? I'd say around up to a 1/4" would not be surprising. Maybe 1/8" when it was new.

There should be backlash in the chain system. How many miles? Your front driveshaft CV joint is probably worn out. Remove it and drive and see if you still have the issue.

Warning: it WILL slowly creep in park if parked on a hill.

Torque converter shudder. As mentioned above, it’s the 4R70W’s way of telling you that the fluid is shot. I changed mine and it got 90-95% better.

Anytime you have chains and gears there is going to be (and needs to be) play. How much play should there be on a 24 year old vehicle? I'd say around up to a 1/4" would not be surprising. Maybe 1/8" when it was new.
It has under 100k on it. It sat a lot. The play is beyond a 1/4", probably double.

It has under 100k on it. It sat a lot. The play is beyond a 1/4", probably double.

Sounds like way too much to me, especially with only 100k. Where are you measuring the play from? The wheels? The more parts involved the more any play/lash will be amplified. CV axles, differential, u-joints driveshaft and finally the transmission internals. Perhaps someone with an AWD can give you a comparison. I got rid of my AWD years ago.

Sounds like way too much to me, especially with only 100k. Where are you measuring the play from? The wheels? The more parts involved the more any play/lash will be amplified. CV axles, differential, u-joints driveshaft and finally the transmission internals. Perhaps someone with an AWD can give you a comparison. I got rid of my AWD years ago.
The lash is between the input and output axles at the transfer case. Nothing side to side. Just rotational.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That seems pretty high.

Back