Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited | Page 42 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

keep the 98 and get the Ranger
I mean what will they give you in trade? $300? LOL
Cant sell a 98 Explorer for much, maybe $1000
so save up some $$$$ for down payment, go get your new Ranger and KEEP the old sploder just in case
Just an idea :)
The new Rangers are growing on me.....I think Ill wait to see what the new Bronco(s) are like and then see what they do with the Ranger for 2020 before I make any rash decisions :)

There is a simple troubleshooting guide to fixing the power window issue or at least finding your broken wire in the factory wiring manual. Using this I have found a broken wire in the power window system more then once, sometimes the break is in the drivers door wiring boot, other times they have been on the passenger side between the front and rear doors believe it or not.....causing issues with the drivers master switch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say keep it also for a while. Putting the 4WD parts together would take some time, but that project would have to rely on some low cost labor. I don't need another truck, but at a great price I wouldn't turn away a 2WD model(I can do the transmission myself).

My friend needs a 4WD Winter driver, and I suggested a $1200 98 Explorer in Charlotte last week. They are out there so sell that one if you have to.

If I end up with a new Ranger, there is no way I'm going to be able to hang onto the Explorer. My wife already things we have too many vehicles at the house (there is just the two of us and I have three vehicles, and she has one). On top of that, she wouldn't be too happy about the added insurance cost. And the Explorer would probably not get driven at all. I really like it. I've invested a lot of my time in it.

I don't have a new Ranger yet, so there is no need to fret about it. If the Explorer ends up on the market, I'd give the Explorer heads here first dibs on it so I could feel good about it going someplace it'd get taken care of!

If I do end up in a Ranger, I'll be aiming for an XLT 4x4 FX4 4-door. And it'd end up equipped like this:
2019-Ford-Ranger-Hellwig-01.jpg

This would be perfect for trips to the lake! Kayaks on the rack, dog in the back seat, coolers in the bed, and the boat out back!

I like the new 2019/2020 Ranger too, but I watched a video about the new Ranger (probably something on YouTube) where they did a review on it and they were not impressed. I don't recall what they specifically didn't like, but I do recall that the reviewer was not particularly complimentary. There are quite a few reviews on YouTube now. I've also read about the new Ford DI Ecoboost engines having lots of problems with carbon buildup on the intake valves. I just suggest you do your research before you make up your mind.

The direct injection is still a little new in the latest engine combinations. The first versions years ago have issues with the carbon build up, but I don't know if Ford has improved the latest, we'll see.

The one review I saw in Spring sounded great, they loved everything even though they were disappointed with the one engine choice. Soon I'll bet more reviews will shed light on everything.

If I end up with a new Ranger, there is no way I'm going to be able to hang onto the Explorer. My wife already things we have too many vehicles at the house (there is just the two of us and I have three vehicles, and she has one). On top of that, she wouldn't be too happy about the added insurance cost. And the Explorer would probably not get driven at all. I really like it. I've invested a lot of my time in it.

I don't have a new Ranger yet, so there is no need to fret about it. If the Explorer ends up on the market, I'd give the Explorer heads here first dibs on it so I could feel good about it going someplace it'd get taken care of!

If I do end up in a Ranger, I'll be aiming for an XLT 4x4 FX4 4-door. And it'd end up equipped like this:
2019-Ford-Ranger-Hellwig-01.jpg

This would be perfect for trips to the lake! Kayaks on the rack, dog in the back seat, coolers in the bed, and the boat out back!

Looks like a nice truck. Either you have a nice truck (which you put a lot of sweat and blood into) OR you have a nice truck (modern and new).

Either way, you win.

And it has been interesting watching your efforts and progress through this Forum. Good luck, whatever you decide.

We'll see! I haven't even test driven one of the new Rangers yet. I was at the gas station Sunday and one parked next to me. I started talking to the owner and he absolutely loves his (Ranger Lariat company vehicle). He didn't hesitate to show me all around his truck. It's really nice!

I drive my Explorer out and about on some errands today and enjoyed it. All the windows down with the sunroof open; I was able to take advantage of a nice 55° day! It runs smooth enough, but downshifts a touch rough. And the exhaust manifold noise is annoying; it sounds like a farm truck. But damn I put a lot into this thing!

We'll see! I haven't even test driven one of the new Rangers yet. I was at the gas station Sunday and one parked next to me. I started talking to the owner and he absolutely loves his (Ranger Lariat company vehicle). He didn't hesitate to show me all around his truck. It's really nice!

I drive my Explorer out and about on some errands today and enjoyed it. All the windows down with the sunroof open; I was able to take advantage of a nice 55° day! It runs smooth enough, but downshifts a touch rough. And the exhaust manifold noise is annoying; it sounds like a farm truck. But damn I put a lot into this thing!

Is your exhaust noise from the manifold, or the EGR pipe? I have a hole/crack at the base of my EGR pipe, and just got the three items I plan to use to attempt to plug the hole/crack. It's not easy in any case, the space there to work on anything is very tight.

Is your exhaust noise from the manifold, or the EGR pipe? I have a hole/crack at the base of my EGR pipe, and just got the three items I plan to use to attempt to plug the hole/crack. It's not easy in any case, the space there to work on anything is very tight.

I had my egr tube replaced after attempting to do it myself and throwthr tools into the front yard. LOL

LOL, I have changed one EGR tube too, it was rough to get a wrench on it, and to loosen it. I'd avoid that if possible again, those are too tight and there isn't enough room to get ample leverage on it.

@GLOCKer .... maybe you like you Explorer too much to trade it now.

Old trucks are fun.

I have a wrench I cut in half for this job, makes replacing the EGR tube much easier/possible.... I can even slip a short bar over the wrench if I need more leverage

So I've test driven a new Ranger and I've decided to pursue purchasing one. I'm looking at trying to get into a 2019 XL model with the STX package and the FX4 off road package. The only thing holding me back is the dealership experience; it's not fun and I have already been frustrated with dealership behavior and pricing.

My Explorer is still on the job. The driver door power lock actuator is acting up again (I'm on my second replacement unit). And there are drips of some kind of fluid under it. I'm thinking power steering, but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet.

I've got a line of three people from work who have made unsolicited offers on the Explorer! It makes me feel good that people actually want it!

So I've test driven a new Ranger and I've decided to pursue purchasing one. I'm looking at trying to get into a 2019 XL model with the STX package and the FX4 off road package. The only thing holding me back is the dealership experience; it's not fun and I have already been frustrated with dealership behavior and pricing.

My Explorer is still on the job. The driver door power lock actuator is acting up again (I'm on my second replacement unit). And there are drips of some kind of fluid under it. I'm thinking power steering, but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet.

I've got a line of three people from work who have made unsolicited offers on the Explorer! It makes me feel good that people actually want it!

In my experience people will beat your door down to buy it if you price it fairly and list all the details (good & bad) in your ad. When I sold my 2000 5.0L XLT people drove from 200 miles away to buy it. Trust me - don't sell it to anyone you know or anyone at work. It NEVER works out well. I sold all mine on CL to total strangers and met them somewhere public to do the transaction (not at my house). I also carry for all CL transactions. You just never know what to expect these days, but you're a cop so you know this.

In my experience people will beat your door down to buy it if you price it fairly and list all the details (good & bad) in your ad. When I sold my 2000 5.0L XLT people drove from 200 miles away to buy it. Trust me - don't sell it to anyone you know or anyone at work. It NEVER works out well. I sold all mine on CL to total strangers and met them somewhere public to do the transaction (not at my house). I also carry for all CL transactions. You just never know what to expect these days, but you're a cop so you know this.
Good advice!

As far as the co-workers are concerned...

One is looking for a beater for his teenage daughter.
One is looking to replace his wife's repo'ed car.
One is looking for a spare vehicle to keep around the house for when his wife's Jeep Commander is broken down.

I've considered throwing it on CL for $2000 because I know I'll get a billion bites, even at that price.

Ironically, I'd still love to keep it but it's just not practical to have five cars at my house when there is just two of is.

If you sell it on CL start high. You only need one goofball to buy it. Plus, they won’t have any trouble offing you 25% sight unseen.

I wouldn’t bother dealing with a dealer face to face. I did ALL the dickering for my new Kia via email. All I went to the dealership for was to sign the papers and pick it up. I saw the salesman once.

Good advice!

As far as the co-workers are concerned...

One is looking for a beater for his teenage daughter.
One is looking to replace his wife's repo'ed car.
One is looking for a spare vehicle to keep around the house for when his wife's Jeep Commander is broken down.

I've considered throwing it on CL for $2000 because I know I'll get a billion bites, even at that price.

Ironically, I'd still love to keep it but it's just not practical to have five cars at my house when there is just two of is.

With all the work/money you've put into you Expl I'd ask maybe $2,500. You can always come down (and people will expect you to take less than asking price).

I know it sounds weird but if it was me and I didn't need the money I give it to my local food pantry/church they need it just like you did at one time. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it sounds weird but if it was me and I didn't need the money I give it to my local food pantry/church they need it just like you did at one time. :)
I really like this idea. Unfortunately, the pricing on new vehicles these days are ridiculous. I'm hoping that after I negotiate the hell out of a new truck, the difference is made up with the money from the Explorer.

Back