Moab 2003: October 24-26 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2003: October 24-26

I will be there :)
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to run POision Spider, I missed out in june due to 3wd problems :)

What trails are the big dawgs planning to run?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We're wanting to do something different this year.... Rick suggested doing Golden Spike backwards. We could call it the "Ekips Nedlog" run :D

There are several trails that the group hasn't done yet. Cliffhanger is now rated 4+, we haven't done Flat Iron Mesa either, and I've calmed down enough from being scared to death on Moab Rim to give it a try again.

Also I just ran Rose Garden Hill to the Top of the World this month. For any locked modifieds that haven't done the Top of the World yet, an awesome all-day run would be Thompson Canyon to Rose Garden Hill up to Top of the World. Rose Garden Hill was awesome. You are not going to get up it without 33's and a locker.

The possibilities are endless :)

I did TOTW in June with a couple of friends.
I did this with a locked drivers front and L/S in the back, I am curious as to where Rose Garden is in relation to TOTW....shoot guess i better borrow my buddies MOAB book again....

I am insterested for sure :)
I am cycling about 14" in the front with the ARB and 33's, with teh BII this should be GREAT. Lift is about 5" over stock, really flexy, espec after I get the brake lines re-located.........

Brett maxed out a 20 degree RTI in his 94 Sport with a similar setup :) Not many 2 doors that can score 1000, especially daily drivers......

I am planning on making this run. I am working on my tow rig right now.

i'll also be there
have only done one run with this group which was the arizona run 03 can't wait to do this one and meet people.

I think it was 410 that mentioned something about a MOAB guid book or something. What is it called and can I buy it here or do I go to Barnes and Noble

4x4books, now part of amazon.com, has them. You can help support our site by buying it through this site's link to there. Go to the main page at www.explorer4x4.com then click on "Explorer Bookstore" button and click on 4x4Books.com . It is on the main page since it is a best-seller. Scroll down and search for Charles Wells' books on 4wd trails and there is one on Moab.

It is a must-buy for anyone that plans on going. Mr. Wells writes the best trail descriptions and directions of any author I have ever read.

A great big "HOOTUS" thank you to my explorer buddy for that.
cry.gif
bugeyes.gif

Hey no need to get mad just poking fun at ya!
blackeye.gif
blackeye.gif

dance.gif
dance.gif
dance.gif

You do know that the Martial Law period is over and you can take that sack off of your head now...

LOL

:)

Originally posted by GJarrett
You do know that the Martial Law period is over and you can take that sack off of your head now...

LOL

:)

I don't know I've become quite accustomed to it. Especially up here in Alaska it helps me to sleep better at night when the sun is still up it blocks the light out.

But man its a pain waking up in the morning with Bag Hair. Don't even get me started on washing and blow drying with this thing

:D

And I guess it helps keep those monster Alaskan 'skeeters out too.

Originally posted by Mudd*****
PRITCHETT CANYON!!!!
I can tell that this year's Moab may turn into a REAL BigDawg run. Dead Link Removed

Good idea to have at least one locker 33+ tires and some one in the group must have a winch. And plenty of spares.

A realy fun trail for the big dogs would be rusty nail. basicaly the trails ends up at the crack on golden spike. same caliber as Pritchett.

Oh man I'm a little scared now!! Where's the bunny hill!!!!!

TOO many bunny hills in Moab, bring on the real stuff!

Oh and your Ex could climb that even with open diffs I bet (shhhh dont tell the Jeepers) or they will all go buy Explorer's, not just the rear ends......

I think I forgot to pay attention to this...anyways, I'm in, and will most likely have the locker in the back by then too, so I'll finally be able to try some hard stuff... Hopefully my driveshaft stays in on the way out there this time :rolleyes:

Hey Rick, how far of a drive is it for you from pheonix????? im about 3 hrs from you in yuma. This would be a great time to see what my new x will do with the lockers and dana 44 up front!!!!! just got a new hauler also. but let me know how far it is and i'll plan on taking off work:D

In addition to Pritchett Canyon, I'd like to do white rim, gold bar rim, golden spike, fins and things, and Hell's Revenge. I also would not mind doing Steel Bender, since that is the trail that my tranny puked on the first year. I might possibly be there a couple of days early so if anyone is interested in doing white rim let me know. It is a 90 mile trail that the book says takes two days. It's a fairly easy trail though, so I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done in a day. Any thoughts? Anyone done White rim and think that it's doable in one day?

Madmike, try mapquest. It'll tell you how far it is. I'd do it for you but I think you can handle it.

Randall, I did White Rim with Peter Weber and Leebo during my Herc Tour in November of 2001.

It is a two day trail. We started on time that morning and still ended up driving in the dark for an hour after sundown before we got to our campsite on the trail.

You might could do it in a day, but only by starting REAL early in the morning, then blowing through it full speed and taking zero time for any photos or enjoying the scenery, eating lunch while driving instead of taking a lunchbreak, and ignoring all of the side trails to interesting formations and all of the hiking trails to old forts and stuff on the trail. If you don't take the time to do all that then why go there in the first place; just go run a dirt road for a few hours instead. The true mileage offroad until you finally leave the White Rim dirt and hit asphalt again is closer to 120 miles than 90, and that's not including the drive out to the trailhead and back into Moab.

You will also need to get reservations early for one of the campsites available about halfway through the trail - I think the fee was $10.

It is a two day trail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Mudd*****
Madmike, try mapquest. It'll tell you how far it is. I'd do it for you but I think you can handle it.

cool, but what do i put as far as a destination point, moab?????? i mean is there a town or address for a stopping point? thanks i really want to go and meet some of you guys finally:D

Back