'02 Explorer 4.6 idle issues. Where to start? Techies pls chime in | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer 4.6 idle issues. Where to start? Techies pls chime in

LSX_FTW

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Camaro SS LS1/T56
2002 (10/06) Explorer 4.6, 4x4
First off there are no DTC's in the ECU
Issues are: sporadic idle, stalling, idle after throttle sticks around 2000rpm, drops to 450-500rpm, delayed throttle response. Engine load at 21% at idle also TPS at 16.4%.

This vehicle is giving me the run around. It likes to idle way to high then drops to stalling level rpms. I've changed IAC valves with no real change, however when the idle is high I can unplug the IAC and idle returns to normal. There are no DTC's stored. I have noticed that with my scanner that engine load at idle says its at 21%, also the TPS at idle it at 16.4%. I corrected the TPS from 19% but I could not get it any lower. At WOT the TPS is only showing 91%. I do not have the correct PID to read IAC position. This definatley feels like its an issue with either IAC or TPS, however I have a 6 month old IAC and a new one and there is no real change between valves. I have not change the TPS yet. Before i started working on this vehicle the owner had the fuel rails, lines, and injectors cleaned and stated that it ran fine afterwards, coincidental? What is the procedure to relearn idle and to set throttle position to zero? Also what could cause this or where should I start diag?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I searched once...way too much too read through.
I was just curious, because I replaced mine with a BWD from O'Reilly and I'm having an issue that I wouldn't think would related, but maybe.

Back