1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1000$. Junkyards lookin for an X

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by MonsterEnergy, December 26, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy Member

City, State:
      Detroit
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '98 XLT and '03 XLT
      so im going to a junkyard tommorow. (yeah i know its sunday, but i'll find one.) I m getting a X, a 92 or the cheapest thing they have there. This is as long as they dont ask for proof of insurance, or any other bullshit.

Does anyone know what is exactly required to go to a junkyard, buy a vehicle and drive it home?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jgilbs

jgilbs Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
      92 Eddie Bauer
      dont think any of the vehicles in the junkyard are in any condition to be driven home. besides, i dont think you can get plates w/o insurance, and u might not be able to get insurance w/o a title, and i doubt the junkyard will give you a title, and if they will, it will be a salvage title. sounds like too many legal complications to make it worthwhile, but good idea (assuming you know what youre doing and plan on fixing it up)

4. matey

matey Aussie Dude

City, State:
      Sydney NSW Australia
      Black 01 xlt explorer
      cool another kid on the road with attitude no insurence and a three ton missile

5. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      2001 Jeep Cherokee
      Just had a friend do this with a '99 Taurus. The way it is in PA, you purchase the car, must be towed home. All repairs made. It must be inspected. Pictures are then sent into PennDOT along with half of the inspection sticker you just recieved(cut it!), and proof of insurance. They will then send you a salvage title and then it must be inspected once again. And your set for a plate and everything.

I think what he's saying, he just wants to buy it w/o insurance and drive it home, make an neccessary repairs, and then make it leagal. Looks like someone got some extra Christmas cash ;). Good luck finding an open junk yard! Especially after Christmas!

6. Doug904

Doug904 Sponsor

City, State:
      Jasper, Alabama
      2005 Roush GT
      Most of our local salvage yards won't even sell a vehicle like this. Every car they get is a salvage title.They can make more then $1000 selling the rear end and transmission, especially from an Explorer. You might have better luck going a small time car lot or looking on Ebay.

Later Doug.

7. xmodster3o3

xmodster3o3 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario, Ca, USA
      91 XL
      Why don't you try a public auction, I have seen explorers go for 200 bucks there. Of course you can hear the engine running high because of the tranny being gone, but still a great price. :roll:

8. john gaglio

john gaglio New Member

City, State:
      Pearl River NY
      1997 Explorer XLT
      I have a 91 sport getting to get donated next week before new years.
      4x4 5 spd lots of miles and rust. warn hubs and flow master. Trans was rebuilt
      great parts truck.

9. MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy Member

City, State:
      Detroit
      '98 XLT and '03 XLT
      alright cool, there are actualy about 25 junkyards within 50 miles of where i live :) (northern michigan), i have insurance its just not under my name exactly. Can you tow a non running vehicle home without insurance ?

10. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ridley Park, PA
      1999 XLS R.I.P.
      You can have anything towed. They don't care ussually what it is, as long as you pay to have it towed, thats what they are in business to do. My friend and his dad built a cobra replica and used a 92 5.0 mustang for parts. When they finished just the shell of the car was left, they called a tow company and had the shell picked up and towed away.