• Register Today It's free!

1000$. Junkyards lookin for an X

MonsterEnergy

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT and '03 XLT
so im going to a junkyard tommorow. (yeah i know its sunday, but i'll find one.) I m getting a X, a 92 or the cheapest thing they have there. This is as long as they dont ask for proof of insurance, or any other bullshit.

Does anyone know what is exactly required to go to a junkyard, buy a vehicle and drive it home?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont think any of the vehicles in the junkyard are in any condition to be driven home. besides, i dont think you can get plates w/o insurance, and u might not be able to get insurance w/o a title, and i doubt the junkyard will give you a title, and if they will, it will be a salvage title. sounds like too many legal complications to make it worthwhile, but good idea (assuming you know what youre doing and plan on fixing it up)

cool another kid on the road with attitude no insurence and a three ton missile

Just had a friend do this with a '99 Taurus. The way it is in PA, you purchase the car, must be towed home. All repairs made. It must be inspected. Pictures are then sent into PennDOT along with half of the inspection sticker you just recieved(cut it!), and proof of insurance. They will then send you a salvage title and then it must be inspected once again. And your set for a plate and everything.

I think what he's saying, he just wants to buy it w/o insurance and drive it home, make an neccessary repairs, and then make it leagal. Looks like someone got some extra Christmas cash ;). Good luck finding an open junk yard! Especially after Christmas!

Most of our local salvage yards won't even sell a vehicle like this. Every car they get is a salvage title.They can make more then $1000 selling the rear end and transmission, especially from an Explorer. You might have better luck going a small time car lot or looking on Ebay.

Later Doug.

Why don't you try a public auction, I have seen explorers go for 200 bucks there. Of course you can hear the engine running high because of the tranny being gone, but still a great price. :roll:

I have a 91 sport getting to get donated next week before new years.
4x4 5 spd lots of miles and rust. warn hubs and flow master. Trans was rebuilt
great parts truck.

alright cool, there are actualy about 25 junkyards within 50 miles of where i live :) (northern michigan), i have insurance its just not under my name exactly. Can you tow a non running vehicle home without insurance ?

You can have anything towed. They don't care ussually what it is, as long as you pay to have it towed, thats what they are in business to do. My friend and his dad built a cobra replica and used a 92 5.0 mustang for parts. When they finished just the shell of the car was left, they called a tow company and had the shell picked up and towed away.

Back