2001 Explorer Sport -- Misfire, lean system, Workshop Manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport -- Misfire, lean system, Workshop Manual

amurray

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Hello there,

Can someone point me to cylinder 6 so I know which to replace? Or better yet, I really want the OEM Ford Workshop Manual to download.

My OBD reader is flagging these codes:
P0174 -- System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P0306 -- Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

...Most of the time, my engine idles rough and lags during acceleration, especially when it's cold. Something like this happened about 4 years ago and I don't even remember what actually did the trick. [Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, air flow sensor...]

I'm using a generic air filter on a stock 2001 Explorer Sport with well over 100,000 miles on it.

[Hope this isn't a topic covered elsewhere already. If so, please point me in the right direction, I'm not very familiar with this site.]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1A7600C.gif

Coil back may not be right, but the cylinder layout is carved in stone.

Driverside back.

99.9% sure the #6 injector is disconnected, failed, leaking or clogged.
I prefer having them tested/rebuilt as a set. If one went, the rest are soon to follow.

Keep your eye out on eBay for the Ford manual on CD.

@ Fredness: Thank you, that's a great start.

@ ncranchero: ebay is a good suggestion, but I was looking for something to use this weekend because Chicago's about to get chilly quick and I don't have a garage.

Thank you both.

Don't think you'll find a downloadable manual.

What's the production date on your '01? June 24th, 2000 is the split date, before is a Job 1/after is a Job 2. There are noticeable differences in these models. Other than the P0306 code, the symptoms you state point towards a vacuum leak/too much air. This could be the IAC valve or the infamous PCV elbow crack/PCV valve issue.

Check these out: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4909856

...but that only covers the P0174, the two together suggests a lean condition in the #6 cyl is causing the system to dump fuel in bank 2 to compensate. Ford can't trim fuel per cylinder (yet), only per bank, so if cyl 6 is lean, cyl 4 and 5 get fuel added to "compensate", which is a BAD idea as now 4 and 5 are rich, not making up for cyl 6 not firing.

So, in short, pull the plug on 6. If it is bone dry, the injector is stuck closed. If not, it may be the wire/coil - but more likely the injector.

@ncranchero: I'll have to investigate, how can I tell if it's Job 1 or 2? I had this (or something similar) happen about 4 years ago. An air sensor was changed (in addition to spark plugs/wires/distributor cap), but I don't have a clue to which actually solved the problem. Thank you!

@Fredness: Okay, that sounds like good advice. I'll try looking at #6 to see if it's dry. Thank you!

@ncranchero: My label reads November, so I'm guessing it's a Job 2. Now what from there?

@Fredness: I haven't had the chance to get in there yet, but thank you again for the advice. [wife + work + school]

Back