2008 v8 Explorer 6R60 trans issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 v8 Explorer 6R60 trans issues

David Hughes

Reaction score
City, State
Trussville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
Last year my trans was shifting in and out of overdrive. Took it to a shop. They said there were metal shavings in the pan and OD gear was going out. They installed a remanned transmission. Everything was fine for about 8 months until it started shifting down to 1st gear prematurely. I took it back to the same shop. They said it needed catalytic converters. Took it to another shop for a second opinion which confirmed a transmission issue. Back to the first shop, they then agreed to warranty the transmission. Ordered another trans from the same builder. Installed it, now the car either wont crank or goes into limp mode. Had someone come to program the TCM/PCM. They couldn't figure it out. Took it to ford dealership, no idea. Took it to the transmission builder, they replaced the valve body. Didn't work. Off to another transmission repair shop. No clue. Now it's at another Ford dealer. WTF? It's now been gone for over two months. Has anyone been through this? They have replaced the whole transmission three times to no avail. I just don't get it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They've tried another one with the same result unfortunately.

Try TCM/PCM reprogramming again, in my experience it is the most possible cause of those problems. Programming only will be successful if a skilled technician uses an original Ford VCM equipment. Two years ago my 2007 EB needed a transmission rebuilding and after that it lost its TCM programming, so it was working very bad and that ended with the right reprogramming. Hired two technicians before finding one who knows how to do the work and has the right VCM. Good luck!

Thank you. It's at another Ford dealership now. I'm hoping to hear something from them today.

Wow - just wow.
What exactly do you mean by shifting down to first prematurely? I ask because that doesn't sound like a transmission problem but a command problem from the ECM. It's a problem that I've never heard of before - can you give a little more detail? I and the board would appreciate it!

When coming to a stop, under ten mph, it feels like someone has bumped the back of your car. You can tell it's a driveline change. You can hear a clunk from underneath the car and then it lurches forward. It's unsettling for sure. Both mechanics ultimately agreed that the transmission was at fault, but I agree it seemed to me like some kind of electronic control problem. I just found out today the the dealership supposedly has the new trans programmed now and I'll be picking it up today. They said they also fixed some kind of wiring problem too, but the person I was talking to couldn't provide any details on that. He was still angry about what all he was billed for and said he thought they maid claims on fixing things that they didn't. He had to warranty the repair and pay another shop to do it. So, it's a big mess. I wouldn't with it on any decent person.

The bump from 2-1 is a known issue on early years of 6R60's. Yes, it feels like someone rear ended you on a stop sign.
Many of us here tried to follow the Ford recommended reflash of the TCM, and in most cases it worked.
I do not believe it's a mechanical issue, just the release of the pressure by the solenoids is delayed in my opinion.

Try TCM/PCM reprogramming again, in my experience it is the most possible cause of those problems. Programming only will be successful if a skilled technician uses an original Ford VCM equipment. Two years ago my 2007 EB needed a transmission rebuilding and after that it lost its TCM programming, so it was working very bad and that ended with the right reprogramming. Hired two technicians before finding one who knows how to do the work and has the right VCM. Good luck!
It appears that you were right. Picking it up this evening so we'll see, but that's what I'm told they did. Only it took two dealerships to get it done for some reason. These cars are getting too complicated.

The bump from 2-1 is a known issue on early years of 6R60's. Yes, it feels like someone rear ended you on a stop sign.
Many of us here tried to follow the Ford recommended reflash of the TCM, and in most cases it worked.
I do not believe it's a mechanical issue, just the release of the pressure by the solenoids is delayed in my opinion.
I had heard of it as well, but I took it to the shop that carried the warranty. The shop owner is a dick about "internet mechanics." So, I didn't bother to share. He won't be getting anymore business from me.

....like he knows every special case of every make and model.

If an owner who usually does his research and knows more about the specific model offers some info, the shop should at least dig into that and not assume that every "internet mechanic" is an idiot who never had a wrench in his/her hand.

I have a 2007 Explorer (v8 w/ 6R60 trans). It very well may be different, but I researched some of the TSBs mentioned on the following page and printed some out for the dealership. Luckily, it fixed the hard downshift from 2-1 for me. (Back in 2010, shortly after I purchased it). 2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

Back