2015 Ford Explorer AC fan speed changes randomly without adjusting the knob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer AC fan speed changes randomly without adjusting the knob

FazeTronics

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
Hello, I have a 2015 Ford Explorer. For about a week the AC blower fan would randomly change fan speeds while driving no matter where I set the speed to with the knob. I looked up the problem where older models had the same symptoms, but couldn't find anything for this generation. It turned out to be the same problem; the fan speed resistor pack or also known as the blower fan resistor. Got the part at he dealer for about $130, and it fixed the problem.
The main issue I had was figuring out where the part was located in the dash. There was no information for this generation. All the older models said it was behind the glove box.
This is correct, but for the 2015 you don't have to remove the glove box, you only have to remove the black kick panel at the very bottom under the glove box and behind the airbag module. Three screws... remove that and it will reveal the blower motor. Behind the blower motor is the fan speed resistor pack, two screws hold it up in the air duct. It was awkward to get in there, but pretty easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the tip.:wave:
I don't believe this particular issue has come up here before.
Please update your registration by adding the requested/required "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer so it appears in the margin. That can be very useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

Hello, I have a 2015 Ford Explorer. For about a week the AC blower fan would randomly change fan speeds while driving no matter where I set the speed to with the knob. I looked up the problem where older models had the same symptoms, but couldn't find anything for this generation. It turned out to be the same problem; the fan speed resistor pack or also known as the blower fan resistor. Got the part at he dealer for about $130, and it fixed the problem.
The main issue I had was figuring out where the part was located in the dash. There was no information for this generation. All the older models said it was behind the glove box.
This is correct, but for the 2015 you don't have to remove the glove box, you only have to remove the black kick panel at the very bottom under the glove box and behind the airbag module. Three screws... remove that and it will reveal the blower motor. Behind the blower motor is the fan speed resistor pack, two screws hold it up in the air duct. It was awkward to get in there, but pretty easy.
FazeTronics, Thanks! I found the black kick panel but can only get to two of the screws holding it in place. Was there an easy way to get to the back left screw? Any other tips?? I have a 2012 Explorer which I think is the same setup as your 2015.

Welcome to the Forum kpgigem.:wave:

The rear screw was difficult to get to, but just needed a long extension to reach up into the mounting hole. It's the same size as the other two screws but you have to do it totally blind.

I also have a 2015 XLT. My blower would NOT run on high, intermittently at first, then more often, and now it comes on medium for maybe 30 seconds, then quits. It will intermittently come back on every several minutes and quickly go off again. This sounds nothing like what I’ve read, but does anyone think this could be the same part gone faulty? Rear fan has no issues.

Also, does anyone know if the rear fan/vents are always on recirculate or do they convert to fresh air/recirculate along with the front recirculate control?

Yes, sounds like the same issue and same faulty part. Fan blower motor resistor.
Now, there are many buying options for this part. I had the same issue again recently and tried buying a $35 part on Amazon, didn’t work. DOA.
weird thing is that when I put the old part back in it started working perfectly again.
All in all, very annoying problem that’s been intermittent the last four years owning the car. It’ll act up for a day or two then work fine for weeks.
I checked everything, pulled apart connectors and checked crimps, corrosion, whatever I could find. Pulled the fan motor out to inspect, couldn’t find anything wrong. I had suspected a bad cable or crimp because just by messing around with the harness it would start working again.
After putting it all back together been working perfectly for a month so far.

Back in 2017 replacing that part worked for me, but didn’t last more than a year.

I wish I could figure out exact problem, but so far I haven’t. I’ve just learned to deal with it for a day when it acts up now. I live in FL and notice it’s worse after sitting in 100 degree weather.

I posted on here hoping someone else knew the issue.

Welcome to the Forum Dandocommando.:wave:

Peter

The wife just called me saying that she is experiencing this same problem. First link I clicked on was this. 130 bucks isn’t bad. Thank you

Back