Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 OHV Just Began Using Oil.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by BamakoJon, March 26, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BamakoJon

BamakoJon New Member

City, State:
    Longview, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Ford Explorer, XLT
    Callsign:
    KI5DGM
    I've got a '99 explorer with the 4.0 OHV engine with 252,000 miles. Until I checked the oil two days ago, I've never seen it use any oil. I changed the oil at 250,000, and most of the miles since have been highway. Is there anything that I can do to help it? It's not bad, but if there's anything I can do to keep the 'ole girl kickin' longer I'd like to know.

Should I just count myself lucky to have gotten so far without this happening or what? Is there some kind of additive that can help mitigate the issue? Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    How much oil did you have to add?

4. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Albany, NY
    96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
    Any external leaks? Valve covers? Crank Seal?
    Try a high mileage oil. You could probably goto a 10W30 with no problem on this motor, esp in Texas. I know this motor has a 5W20 Prohibition.

5. BamakoJon

BamakoJon New Member

City, State:
    Longview, TX
    1999 Ford Explorer, XLT
    Callsign:
    KI5DGM
    I maybe had to add a quart, probably less. It was in a big jug so it was harder to tell exactly how much.

I've never noticed any external leaks or oil. Just general greasiness in some places, but nothing that ever made me think something was up. I've been running 10W40, as that's what had been used before it got it. Right now it's got Mobile1 full synthetic.

6. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    Install new valve stem oil seals. On older high mileage engines, these seals get hard, crack, or completely break and fall off the guide, letting lots of oil go by the valve stem and either down into the intake port (then combustion chamber), or out the exhaust.

7. fast_dave

fast_dave Active Member

City, State:
    East Bay - Northern California
    '98 Spt 4.0 OHV 5 spd 4x4
    @BamakoJon

Just offering up: Throw a clean sheet of cardboard under your Ex's engine area and watch it a few days - perhaps a new leak has sprung up? The fresh cardboard makes this a lot easier to spot.

On your 252,000 mile OHV Ex, I'd be looking at these areas prone to leak on this particular engine:

* the rear/firewall areas of BOTH valve covers (rear most bottom valve cover bolt on both sides is notorious to loosen up)

* rear engine seal

* and once you approach & break 200,000 miles - the area around the "oil filter adapter" (where you mount the oil filter - initially you'll see oil build up on the engine block around the adapter, then on the adapter body, and eventually oil will drip down the side of the filter).

Link to write-up: How to: - Replace Gaskets On The 4.0 OHV Oil Filter Adapter / Mount

In closing, just asking: How fast are you recently driving on those wide open highways in TX? Are you going over 70 - 75 mph for any distance?

Last edited: March 27, 2019
  8. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    When's the last time you put a new PCV valve in it?

9. rasouth

rasouth Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Riverside, CA
    96 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV
    If you don't see any external oil leaks it may be an internal leak, maybe into piston. Any smoke coming from tail pipe? Compression check?