410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good news! New wheels and tires are on their way (backorder)

I got Moto Metal 17x9 rims with 33" DC FCII tires :)

So while I am waiting for the new meats I will be painting my front clip :) going to pick up the paint and supplies NOW

finally an all one color truck! LOL

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

96xltpaint.jpg

96 paint code SL
2 quarts, 1 gallon reducer, clear, and hardner

:)

How many miles have your current FCIIs lasted? My BFG ATs are great, but EVERYONE's got them. Of course, i can clearly see why that is.

two trucks and about 5 years my best guess
still 1/4" tread down the middle, but the issue with my tires is I have them mounted on 7.5" wide wheels, they are 12.5 wide tires, so I have to run a low pressure (28-30psi), but the center still wears out quicker then the rest of the tread

So the outer lugs still have quite a bit of meat. I did run them on this truck for about 6 months with the front end out of alignment, this was while I was doing my TT and rebuilding the IFS, so that didnt help them! the front two looked like cones!!

I have been very impressed with the wear, ride, and ability of the FC-II's
I paid $120 a tire years ago, they are up to $180+, and still I bought another set if that tells you anything.

We use alot of tires in this house! IMO the DC FCII makes the BFG KO look bad

96xltpaint.jpg

96 paint code SL
2 quarts, 1 gallon reducer, clear, and hardner

:)

I always use Frosted flakes when I paint....:p: Can't wait to see your truck all one color!

LOL thanks!

actually thats a rear wiper arm I got from Rookie shooter, waiting to be painted flat black and installed on my 96, mine fell off? weird......thats how he packaged it!

they're great!

help

sorry to jump on here and butt in but on page 12 you have a picture of two metal tubes that connect to the intake manifold and then go to the the heater hoses from the core support can anyone tell me what that is called and where I can get one for a 96 explorer 5.0????

I am rarely on here but please email me on simplysavage23@yahoo.com

by the way engine looks amazing

sorry to jump on here and butt in but on page 12 you have a picture of two metal tubes that connect to the intake manifold and then go to the the heater hoses from the core support can anyone tell me what that is called and where I can get one for a 96 explorer 5.0????

I am rarely on here but please email me on simplysavage23@yahoo.com

by the way engine looks amazing

Find the main forums page of this site, at the bottom are a few links, one is for a great parts source. Kbabiak Used Explorer Parts is the one I choose for Explorer parts. Welcome, I'll delete this after he responds Jamie.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213257
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=44601

I always call that thing the heater core water manifold jobber, my Ferd parts guy knows exactly wha' I am talking about LOL

FINALLY got new wheels and round rollie things ordered a bit ago, it is very sad to admit, but I am in love with a truck:

wheels1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

wheels4.jpg

Moto Metal 17x9 rims with Dick Cepek 33x12.5x17 FC-II's

It has been snowing here, so I have not had a chance to clean her, last night I twisted the front t bars to gain another 1", these 33's are bigger then my old worn 33's LOL
I also wanted to get the front clip prepped and painted before the wheels came, but the weather and other projects have gotten in the way...I have enough paint to do the whole truck MUAHAHAHAA :)

it rides SO NICE! I will check the ride height again, level the truck, then Its going in for alignment ASAP, its a bit off from the old POS wheels and round rollie things LOL

I am selling all 5 of them :)
I cant use them because they are 15x7.5, I need at least 15x8

they are Superior "Startec" wheels, chrome, in good shape, one is slightly bent (its the spare) and one has the chrome bubling up, other then that they are great! LOL

That looks good, all of it. what color are you going to? I still have my 5 spoke wheels, with 235/75/15 studded snow tires for sale.

thanks! I am painting the truck the factory color silver/blue with factory quality paint and clear :), have paint & tools, need to build booth and wait for warmth!

I LOVE the light blue/silver color and my interior is custom grey/blue :)

That's good, I like both of those on the truck. I'd just say don't go to the pee green that my Limited started out as. It looks fine on a later Mountaineer, but it has to grow on you. I wish red wasn't so high, I'm about to buy enough for my truck and LSC. I'll make them both the same color.

I spent $450 on paint, clear, hardner = its expensive!!!

I hate the pea green limiteds!!, however its okay for the ladies, like a pink Jeep:)

i like the green that the fenders are.

you would! LOL my old rolled 96 was dark green, the mounty front clip I have is in bad shape, spiderwebbed clear coat, fender is now dented, hood is now dented, it sucks! I have a brand new hood (thanks Brett) and 1 new fender for when I paint it, if you want Section you can have the old green stuff!! LOL

So whens the painting going to take place?

when its more then 45 outside and my new baby boy is born!

I need to pick up some PCV and plastic, I am turning my garage into a temporary paint booth, I am building it so I can put it up and take it down, I plan to do all my own body work and painting... I cant stand having others work on my truck and if I want a nice paint job, I cant afford it unless I do it (or choose to spend the $$$ elsewhere)

so ASAP!!!

I need to rip the engine out of the red 98, then I can paint the explorer, then finally the BII gets a full cage this spring
you coming over? LOL

I am considering a garage mounted baby "pack and play" and a baby sized respirator, got to start them early! LOL

when you find the baby crawling funny after a paint session just tell the gf/wife (are you married yet? and a baby!!! WOW i have been gone for too long, congrats) he'll Crawl it off.

Back