410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bottom line, will not doing this affect in any way the trandfer cases use.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

you know that grindage you are running into?
well..........

You should be able to put the case in LOW range while stopped in either P or N with NO GRINDING

that brings up another topic. Can you go from 2wd to 4hi while driving with a manual case?? hehehehe I assume you can under 45 mph but I have not tried it yet.

AMMO_HOOAH said:
I'm not sure why you'd want a N safet switch for low, I can't even shift into low if I put in N. I have to be completly in P and no tension on the t/c. I tried in N, but the tranny still turns the guts of the t/c and I get grindage! So P is my only option.

Odd... My electric shift works fine in N, and the guts of the case (except the clutch) should be the same. I can also enter 4hi at high speed.

Jamie, I'd place money on that extra wire being for the NSS, I don't think the manual cases would have a clutch.

On another note, many ranger owners drop their vacuum hubs for explorer drive flanges. One could theoretically "trade" with a Ranger, but there are some good reasons that the Ranger guys drop the hubs. ;)

you know that grindage you are running into?
well..........

You should be able to put the case in LOW range while stopped in either P or N with NO GRINDING

that brings up another topic. Can you go from 2wd to 4hi while driving with a manual case?? hehehehe I assume you can under 45 mph but I have not tried it yet.

When I try to put my case into 4low sitting still in neutral, there is a grinding sound that can be felt through the stick. If you shut the engine off, you can pull it right into gear. I can usually shift it into 4low when in park no problem. I have no idea why.

The F150 owners manual says the case can be put into four high at speeds of up to 55 miles per hour I believe. :)

The F150 owners manual says the case can be put into four high at speeds of up to 55 miles per hour I believe. :)
So which one of you guys is going to try it out and report back with the result? :p:

putting the truck back into 2wd grids in nuetral i think.

Yeah I grind going either way from N unless I go kinda swiftly, then she wont

I did th eswitch into 4hi the other day at about 40 MPH, worked fine.

Now to figure out the brown wire........

Glad to see everything's going smooth, and to see I'm not the only one that can't shift in N. I don't mind anyway, if you can't put it into P to shift then you probably have more problems than 4lo will help! :D

Can anyone here do me a favor and get me a ford part number for the tone ring inside the t-case?

Call the speedometer guys I posted earlier in this thread, they have them
its a 9 tooth brown

Call the speedometer guys I posted earlier in this thread, they have them
its a 9 tooth brown

they dont have a 9 tooth brown...they have an 8 tooth. Does that sound right? The diamater is 1 3/8

I wish I knew, it should be correct
When I thought I counted the teeth while it was apart I would later learn my method for counting was wrong.

Ford dealer cannot give you a part number?
What about Borg Warner?

My logic tells me I seriously doubt they made two browns.

WOW, still no luck on the speedo stuff that sucks. I'm really glad I lucked out with mine bolting right in, and working. Best of luck man.

I would order the gear from the speedo place, if its 8 tooth instead of 9 you can just use a different tooth speedo gear to make up the difference.

then drop the tank and d shaft a bit, remove the tailhousing, install your new gear, and go!
I cant wait to find out if your gear is in there and fell apart or what!
its crazy!

I would order the gear from the speedo place, if its 8 tooth instead of 9 you can just use a different tooth speedo gear to make up the difference.

then drop the tank and d shaft a bit, remove the tailhousing, install your new gear, and go!
I cant wait to find out if your gear is in there and fell apart or what!
its crazy!

haha yeah, i would laugh so hard if it did fall out.

Back