93 Ex - 4.0L Swap for a Crate Engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ex - 4.0L Swap for a Crate Engine?

timber22

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
What it do everyone?

I've been looking into options for my 93 Ex and putting a new engine in it. I was looking for something with a little more power than the original 4.0L I currently have in it. I was just curious what kind of swaps people have done with their Exs and what would ideally be the best option and most overkill, kind of want to find something inbetween that range. Might be interested in putting something with a Carb on it if possible.

My Ex is a 93' with a manual transmission. Ideally I want to keep it manual if I can but I'm open to all options.
That being said I may look into rebuilding the current engine. Might be worn out and its currently leaking coolant somewhere. I don't think its eating it though, haven't noticed any smoke from the back. Would also be looking for suggestions to make my current setup more powerful (stroking, boring, etc?).

Any information helps. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your budget and will you be doing all the work yourself(not involving a shop)?

I guess I'd be doing most of the installation stuff but some of the more technical stuff like boring and stroking or anything along those lines I'd say a shop would do. Budget wise, I don't have one at the moment. I'm just trying to see how much all the options cost before putting a price point on it.

Of course fixing your current motor is going to be cheapest. The most common power adders to the ohv is changing the cyl head to usually the 95tm one with a cam swap. There is no available stroker kits for the 4.0, it's all custom. You can do the basic upgrades for under $2k.

If you want to swap in a v8 then you have the added cost of the transmission and tcase, motor mount and header kit. The rear driveshaft will also need to be replaced and the front modified. This will cost you about $5k

Not going to get alot of power outa the 4.0 but as mentioned putting 95+ heads will raise compression to 10:1 and a 422 cam is best cheapest option motorwise..

Save your money for gears if you want power and dont fear the gear!!!

There's so few option for the 4.0.

My opinion is that to spend a couple grand on mods for the 4.0L and then to still desire more, you're just going to end up with a 5.0 or something else anyway.

Personally I'm not going to spend anything beyond regular care and maintenance on my 4.0L. If the time comes where it requires substantial work, then I'll look for a 5.0L or LS swap. Both of those will also give you a lot more transmission/transfer case option than you have with the current 4.0L. And a lot more growth potential

Back