• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer sport hard starting

smook

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
Hello, I have a 99 ford explorer sport, It is a 4.0 SOHC V-6.In the past month or so i have found it getting hard to start. I replaced the fuel damper, the idle air control valve, and the air filter. i also cleaned out the mass air flow sensor. My fuel filter was changed about a year ago as well. These were some of the things guys at my work told me to try, but im still having some trouble getting it started. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do the light test - it's quick and easy.

Have a guy stand in front of your truck, turn on your headlights, and then twist the ignition key.

If the headlights go dim, your connections from the battery to the starter motor circuit are good.

If your headlights do not go dim - you have resistance in your starter motor circuit.

Start with cleaning the terminals on your battery, if that doesn't work start checking the negative cable connections to the starter motor as well as the multiple braided steel ground strap connections within the engine compartment. Cost = $0.00

Okay thanks, I'll try it when i get home and see how it goes. I'm going to Arizona to see my parents for Christmas. I'd rather not have any problems on the trip out.

smook,

With what you wrote in mind;

* Have your parents or someone else turn the key, and you do the looking.

* Do the test in a garage that has the lights turned off/door closed, better yet do it at night.

Merry Christmas and hope that you're mom isn't too mad at you for bringing home that big ol' bag of dirty clothes ;-)

Back