Adding dashcam. Any tips? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding dashcam. Any tips?

I really like the blackveu but I have been reading some bad reviews on amazon so iam on the fence about the blackveu.

Costco and Sam's Club have a few worth looking at. Then check out MonoPrice.com

Im very happy with my E-Prance 0803 under $100usd off Amazon.

Several others here have these units and they work well.

I believe the newest one is E-Prance 0806.

I have pulled several video clips off them and been able to zoom in on licence plates for ID.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a G1WH Dash Cam for about 2 years now. About $45 on Amazon. Not many features but it gets the job done. I have it wired into the cig lighter.
Had this happen in July. There is no audio as I dubbed it out 'cause I was singing at the time. :D Keep an eye out to the immediate left as soon as I go by the CVS and pizza place on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L7Ss3bcOGH8

slip slide and away. I love them cobras but in the rain with no hard top. hehe

Well I'm going with BlackVeu I hope I have a better experience then the reviews on amazon. I did buy from Costco so if in 90days it stops working I can return for a full refund. I will mark my calendar for sure. Thanks for all the help and advice. I will share pics and review after it's installed.

a 32 MB card holds roughly 5 hours on 720p resolution
at 720p you can just make out plate numbers in daytime about 2 cars away
dash cams with a screen are usually larger but much easier to use
stay away from cheap no name ebay/amazon cams (they work but check the Amazon reviews first)
a decent reliable dash cam starts from about 80$ up
make sure you check the reviews !!!!!! especially footage on youtube from actual users
some cameras don't record well in low light, especially the ones below 100$

I caught this Cobra spinout with my Black Box G1WH hd dashcam. It was only $75 on Amazon. A cheapie but it works fine for me.

https://youtu.be/L7Ss3bcOGH8

did you help the driver out or just give them the thumbs up and drive away? :D:thumbsup:

I stopped and helped him. The battery was shaken loose and we got it back in place and hooked up. Drove away fine. He was an older gentlemen in his 'retirement toy' out for a spin. heh-heh.

I just ordered this, it's floating across the Pacific to me....
"Black Box G1W Original Dashboard Dash Cam - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Video Recorder with G-Sensor Night Vision Motion Detection WDR 140° Wide Angle 4X Zoom "

From - http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_67201.html

More info also on - http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Original-Dashboard-Dash/dp/B00FONBG1A

Yep, that looks like the second generation of the one I have. Nice little cam for such a cheap price.

Good to hear, i got the capacitor version vs. battery as the Arizona heat would kill it quickly for sure.

After the accident that totaled my 2012 Escape, I getting interested in a dashcam. Especially since all of the accidents that I have been in have been involved drivers going in the opposite direction turning left in front of me when I had the right of way, or someone in a right turn only lane going straight ahead.
One question - are they legal for use throughout the U.S.?

Thanks.

Mark

You should probably contact your local jurisdiction and/or the State of NJ and inquire. General rule here in Texas is that it must not obscure more than a 5x7 area of your windshield. Also, if it records audio you 'technically' must inform any passenger that they are being recorded by an audio device and must consent to being recorded. However, consent laws are a bit sketchy on that issue. But since this IS Texas, and as long as I have the proper permit, I don't have to tell them I have a loaded Taurus 4510TKR-3SS under the seat. Go figure. :salute:

After the accident that totaled my 2012 Escape, I getting interested in a dashcam. Especially since all of the accidents that I have been in have been involved drivers going in the opposite direction turning left in front of me when I had the right of way, or someone in a right turn only lane going straight ahead.
One question - are they legal for use throughout the U.S.?

Thanks.

Mark

Also have a look at the E-Prance line of dashcams.

I have had the 0803 model 1080p video for over a year and no issues. Hardwired it into the accessory power and it continuously loops recording on 32GB SD card. Comes with built in GPS module and its own mapping/viewing software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Pm6bxMMXE

They have newer versions out now, the 0805 and 0806 that are much better then mine.

Hi folks
The dash cam I moved over to the 2013 Explorer limited requires a momentary pause when turning it on.
In my diesel pickup it's automatic as I pause for the heating element, then go to start.
Can anyone tell me what fuse I can tap into as the car is waking when opening the door so my Wife can just step on brake and tap the start button and go?
She's been plugging and unplugged from the cig lighter socket, forgets to turn it on, forgets to turn it off.

Thanks guys & girls!

I tapped the RCM fuse in my 2017. Hot in RUN.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cig lighter is powered on/off with car start/stop. I keep my dashcam plugged into it so I can move it between cars if we go on trips. I have a Black Box G1WH 1080p HD cam. Only about $50-$60 on Amazon. Get the capacitor version so it can power up/down appropriately.

Back