Adding dashcam. Any tips? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding dashcam. Any tips?

On the 2016 Sport you have to push a button to view/turn on the front camera so I don't think you could feed the video to a DVR/recorder. Just get a small cheap dash cam, hardwire it in so when you start the Explorer the dash cam starts to record.

My mini 805 has been in use for over a year and still works great. It saved me when my 2012 Pilot got totaled, when a lady ran a red light while I was making a left turn. I just let her talk to the cops (all in Spanish) I don't speak Spanish and she didn't speak English. After about 10 minutes the cop walks over to me with a ticket and I said what the "F" are you thinking? I showed him the video (showing the accident & the green left turn arrow) he walked away and gave her two tickets, the second one was for no insurance....... $80.00 well spent

IMG_0320.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't look into it, but frankly, I don't find those cameras terribly great for dash cam use anyway. The quality is low, and they're at less-optimal angles for capturing traffic lights and what not.

Doesn't a factory installed dash cam have resident memory in it, and way to transport or communicate files to another device? My cheapo unit has a 32g micro sd card that I just swap into my card reader on my pc. It would be really nice if newer Ex's had a way to email recorded files via MFT or Sync - that would be way cool.
The 5th gen Explorer doesn't have a factory dash cam nor is one listed as an option. Perhaps this might become an option at some point in time. Starting with the 2016 model, they have front and rear cameras but I don't believe they are active at all times.

Peter

I installed a119 and used fuse 36. It works fine

Looking to put one up front for now that is out of the way and trouble free that can be used as a review as necessary. Other then that I do not want to mess with it. Just let it run when the ignition is on.

Hi, having been a fan of "add-a-fuse" in the past, I literally just completed a full DIY install of a front & rear hardwired dashcam with both constant and accessory mode, allowing for parking surveillance, in my new 2017 Explorer Sport. I didn't use fuses this time, tapping into the A-pillar molex. The fuse box for these Explorers are ridiculously difficult to access.

Here's the entire start to finish thread, freshly posted!
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...dwire-install-ford-explorer-2011-2017.452075/

Back