Adding dashcam. Any tips? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding dashcam. Any tips?

Not sure what the RCM fuse is as I'm new to this
Don't feel bad. I'm not new and I'm not sure either. Remote Control Module?:dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cig lighter is powered on/off with car start/stop. I keep my dashcam plugged into it so I can move it between cars if we go on trips. I have a Black Box G1WH 1080p HD cam. Only about $50-$60 on Amazon. Get the capacitor version so it can power up/down appropriately.
It seems the only power outlet that turns off with the ignition is to 110V outlet. The 12V outlets appear to stay on for a period of time until they are eventually turned off by the battery saver program.

Peter

It seems the only power outlet that turns off with the ignition is to 110V outlet. The 12V outlets appear to stay on for a period of time until they are eventually turned off by the battery saver program.

Peter

Mine comes on and off w/ ignition. I *may* have changed it to a switched connex however. I can't rightly recall at the moment. :dunno:

Restraint Control Module. Safely tap it with an Add-a-Fuse.

Fuse locations are listed in the owner's manual.

Edit: Keep in mind that the electrical system changed in 2016 compared to the 2013s, but I would bet that this fuse is still wired in the same manner, hot in run.

Peter

Makes sense Peter, I'll have to test a different outlet as we've already had the camera filming the back of our garage all night a couple of times,, senior moment lol

The 2 things I always install in a new car is a dash cam and radar detector! After my 2012 Honda Pilot was t-boned while making a left turn (on a green turn arrow) and you guessed it they had no insurance!

I use the cheap mini dash cam and it was good enough to prove I had the green arrow.
Dash Cam.jpg

My lukas cameras which are one of the best on the market are hard wired to the fuse panel. One wire goes to an accessory, the other goes to Constant power. So when the ignition goes off, it powers off the camera and keeps it in parking mode (activates if it detects motion in front or rear as well as impacts. You can also set battery battery voltage for when it goes into full shutdown (I have mine set at 12.1v). Haven't had any issues with it shutting down in full due to battery drain below 12.1.

These are not your $50 Walmart specials, they are top of the line stuff but worth every penny.

My lukas cameras which are one of the best on the market are hard wired to the fuse panel. [...] These are not your $50 Walmart specials, they are top of the line stuff but worth every penny.
^ Damn right.

Last night I caught a Mustang recklessly driving around my vehicle and wrecking 45 seconds later. Footage was shown to local law enforcement.

my top of the line blackvue dr650gw-2ch front and rear cloud connected cameras never miss a beat hardwired with battery saver mode have saved me a few close calls.. but I bet the $50 wallmart cam would also have done the same thing.. so its just a matter of what works best for your needs..

The 2 things I always install in a new car is a dash cam and radar detector! After my 2012 Honda Pilot was t-boned while making a left turn (on a green turn arrow) and you guessed it they had no insurance!

I use the cheap mini dash cam and it was good enough to prove I had the green arrow.View attachment 91585
good choice in dash cam and radar detector. keep in mind lots of police and highway patrol use laser/lidar to get your speed and your radar detector will only go off after its to late. a good laser jammer or shifter will save you from a lidar ticket.

... or you could save your money and just go the speed limit. Most cops will ignore 5-8mph over anyway.

my top of the line blackvue dr650gw-2ch front and rear cloud connected cameras never miss a beat hardwired with battery saver mode have saved me a few close calls.. but I bet the $50 wallmart cam would also have done the same thing.. so its just a matter of what works best for your needs..

My exact camera. Do you actually have it cloud connected with a cellular hotspot?

I don't have a radar and laser protection because I speed and like to drag race down the highway I have it to remind me that the police sometimes get it wrong. If the police can use a radar gun I can use a radar detector and same goes for laser protection. But thanks for the advice and going off the ops topic.

My exact camera. Do you actually have it cloud connected with a cellular hotspot?
Yes it is always connected I have a ODB hot spot always connected adapter AT&T ZTE. The only draw back is I can only have 5 connections at a time with a family of 5 and the camera it's a bit short on WiFi connections but if we have a long road trip I can always add another mifi hot spot

good choice in dash cam and radar detector. keep in mind lots of police and highway patrol use laser/lidar to get your speed and your radar detector will only go off after its to late. a good laser jammer or shifter will save you from a lidar ticket.

I do agree with the jammer... but I don't go over the speed limit that much. I use it just as a back-up to let me know a state employee is around. It used to be so much fun before Montana had a speed limit during day light hours! On one trip I was pulled over 3 times within 2 hours (each time doing about 100 MPH and giving the trooper $5.00 cash for wasting our national resources.... I miss the good old days.

Good to hear, i got the capacitor version vs. battery as the Arizona heat would kill it quickly for sure.
I use mine everyday, been a good addition.
A

I'm using an ebay special. $20 shipped. Mounted to the rear view mirror and hard wired to accessory power. Works like a charm and was extremely easy on the wallet. I've caught many idiots on it and the footage is not bad at all. One of the best $20 I've spent so far.

.. and you can catch video of a guy giving his Cobra a bit too much throttle on an rainy day! I posted this about a year ago.

So my 2017 Sport is on its way,...
Has anyone looked into installing a small DVR and recording the video from the front and rear cameras that are factory installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't a factory installed dash cam have resident memory in it, and way to transport or communicate files to another device? My cheapo unit has a 32g micro sd card that I just swap into my card reader on my pc. It would be really nice if newer Ex's had a way to email recorded files via MFT or Sync - that would be way cool.

Back