Alternator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator

Lambro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 limited
I’ve got a 2016 limited with the 3.5, around 68,000 miles. Without any codes or warnings, It wouldn’t start this morning, and after getting it fired up from a booster got it to a shop. They said the alternator was bad and want $900+ to fix. Not happening. I’ve searched the forum for more specific information but could not find what I was looking for. I ordered a 220 amp refab alternator from advanced and am Picking it up tomorrow. What am I getting myself in to? Any tips or suggestions? How to?
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are several threads here on Explorers not starting for various reason. I don't think a bad alternator was a common reason.
Here is an OEM 230 Amp for $366.58 Alternator for 2016 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake It would have a 2 year warranty.

Peter
I wouldn’t have thought alternator myself, as it started up with a little charge and was able to drive to the shop. Charger was set on 12 v 6 amp and gauge showed 25% charged when it started. But the shop ran their tests and said it was a bad alternator.

I wouldn’t have thought alternator myself, as it started up with a little charge and was able to drive to the shop. Charger was set on 12 v 6 amp and gauge showed 25% charged when it started. But the shop ran their tests and said it was a bad alternator.
@Lambro
Go buy yourself a ten-dollar Battery Hydrometer, and check each battery cell individually. Whether charged or not, ALL cells must show identical readings; if one is lower than the other 5, the battery is faulty. If they are all identical, then charge the battery fully and check it again. If all OK, the alternator becomes suspect, having ruled out the battery. The battery can be load-tested also, but usually, one bad cell will produce a seriously bad load-test.

hydrometer-500x500.jpg

hydrometer-for-testing-the-charge-of-a-car-battery-the-height-of-the-M6H9BR.jpg

Back