• Register Today It's free!

Bad Bulb?

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
I'm getting bad rear turn single bulb in messages center sometimes in left and right side? The flasher will go fast..... So I check the bulb and it's fine? I did replace right and left rear bulb. It happened today and didn't do any thing for 20 mins, had to get gas and no problem. It's happened about 4 times this year. Any ideas? Flasher going bad.....
Really don't want to chase some electrical gremlin.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an idea.... disconnect negative battery terminal for about ten minutes, and maybe turn on lights, touch brakes, and cycle turn signals a few times while battery is disconnected. Maybe that will clear error.

Good luck.

pulling the bulb and cleaning up the connector. They sense the load of the bulb, and if its out a bit it will signal a failure, even though the bulb is still good. That's why LED bulbs wont work by default. you have to load them down to trick the SJB into thinking it has bulbs connected to it.

Ok so this is my weird solution because it happened to me too. About 6 Times last year. Here is the fix: pull over, put car in park, shut engine off, turn on flashers for about 5 flashes, start Explorer up and it’s fixed for about a month. Finally it was fixed permanently. I’m not kidding. Not leading you on. It worked.

Ok, To everybody who replied:

The connector's on the outside are clean, I do have CRC QD Elecrionic Cleaner, Should I take the bulb out and shoot some Electronic cleaner into connector? "SJB" Signal Juction Box?
67FordGuy Hey ill try that method! Ill keep you updated...
I gotta ask how did you come up with that?!

My 2 cents bad flasher....

What did it for me was the fact that there was nothing wrong with the bulbs. They worked ok - it was just the dash message. So I said “wonder what this will do” and it fixed it.

I had a problem with the left rear flasher. Periodically it would send a problem to the message center and flash faster than normal. After fiddling with the bulb it would function OK but after a while same problem. I replaced the bulb 3-4 years ago and have not had a problem since. I think it related to whatever electronics (if any) are in the black base.

Did it again this morning, so took apart connector and bulb cleaned with Electronic cleaner. See if this solves the problem?

UPDATE:
Well Its been 1 Month no issues!

Back