Best v8 engine replacement for 2000 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best v8 engine replacement for 2000 explorer

Lldnar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Limited
I finally found a nice 2000 Ford Explorer Limited v8 4x4 but there is a loud noise coming from the engine. So I am considering doing an engine swap with a crate engine. What is the best, most reliable, crate engine? Should I 'enhance' the engine?

Welcome!!

First off what is your noise?

It could be something simple
How many miles on the 2000?

The 2000 Explorer V8 comes with a small block ford pushrod 302, the last of the pushrod 302's 1969-2001. This is a GT40p Cobra mustang engine they shoehorned into the Gen II explorer
When Ford did that they made many of us very very happy because they packaged the SBF V8 to fit in our ranger based vehicles.

There are MANY options for a crate engine, in your case you will need a gt40 based long block
But before you go buying a $2500-5000 engine lets find out whats wrong with your current setup.
You do not want to get a $4000 engine bolted in there only to find out the transmission is about to pop
So lets hear about your truck!
We LOVE V8 Gen 2 Explorers around here....there are lots of loud noises they can make that may be something very simple to diagnose and fix

Ditto.

How many miles have you driven it, how's the oil look, and what maintenance has been done in the last couple of years?

Replacing any EFI engine is tough due to the programming. Changing any significant air flow items will not work well with stock programming, and most people don't want to pay to get custom tuning, the device required, etc. So staying right at stock is the best way, unless you have the time and will put in the effort to do much more.

I think there is a safe 40hp to gain by altering the compression and doing a full bigger exhaust, and custom tuning, with custom camshaft, the special valve springs etc. But nobody yet to date has done all of those things together, thus the result is a random 25hp gain, and with great difficulty installing super high dollar small headers.

Try to fix the existing engine issue, keep it well maintained, and engine it as it is. Everything beyond that gets very complicated, given the tight engine bay, and horrible exhaust manifolds.

Back