CHARGING ISSUES!!! woweeeee | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BIGideas

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger 2wd SHOC
ok I have a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 6cyl 4.0 SOHC 2WD automatic.

Here are my steps to present day & the problems presently...

About 1-2 yrs ago I had the standard-everyday-Joe-dead-battery... whoops its the alternator!

I had a friend replace it, I was too busy to do it myself, he worked at a dealership for years, and, at the time, didn't trust myself to do it and wanted someone that "KNOWS THEIR STUFF'.

Got a rebuilt alternator and worked great, then check engine light came on a month or so later.

Had autozoneR run diagnostic and they gave me a long list of things it could be (alternator was one of them).

SOOOOOOOooooo, never dealing with the issue, a year or two pass and the battery stops holding charge, go to THE Zone again and let them do their thang. "Oh well it says you need a new alternator".

'iaght', I bought a new on and baddaha boom it works!

About 2 weeks later the battery gauge is showing low and dash-lights (abs) coming on, you know the drill.

At this point, I have the Chilton's Guide and a voltage reader, started running down the lists of tests. AND 'WTF, the Voltage regulator is bad, well at least it aint another alternator'. Buy one from the GODTOZONE, install it and ZIP ZAP ZOOBAHDAHLEEZOO! It works!

For 3 days and with a twist like my truck's name is F. Truck Tricksterlon, (bringing us to present day), the voltage is surging and peaking in the red with the battery light coming on. I had to drive about 40 miles home today with all the electronics on, AC Blasting, radio spittin' modern rawk jams, and with one eye on the gauge and one hand on the power window buttons I rode them babies up & down all the way home to keep the gauge in safe zone.

So I did the tests again, Voltage reg is bad. To me this is only a symptom of a much larger problem since it keeps happening and now producing polar opposite results.

What do you all think?
Im gonna buy a new reg right now and install it. Ill keep ya updated (BUT you know its gonna crap out!)

Thanks for any help. (I have read a ton on this and performed many test, hit me with like "ignition switch"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like some sort of electrical Gremlin or just bad luck ... ZoiNks!

yeah i figured as much. I took back the alternator and installed a new one (i saw with mine own eyes that it passith thee rigorous tests performed delicately, yet authoritative, by his majesty the cashier at Car Parts R' Us Zone). Went for a test drive & everything seems to be working properly. Ill find out soon enough because of the 80-mile round-trip I trek for work right now. Ill keep posting to let those that are interested know whats up (i mean really. who the hell does this kid think he is? why would anyone actually give 2-SH*TS about his POS Truck, PLUS!, he writes like he thinks he is one of them pansy-ass-left-wing comedians, thinks he can be as funny as those writers from Two & A Half Men, boy needs to stick to his day job banging nails and picking up heavy things to set them down a couple feet away).

Anyway, I appreciate you replying quickly, I hope my attempts at making this humorous is not too annoying.

haha :) Well good luck with your truck, keep us updated if the problem returns. My lil' bro has framed houses for quite a few years now, it's certainly work.

I usually have to replace the brushes in the alternator every 12 to 24 months. I only put on 2K to 3K miles a year. I don't know why they wear down so quickly but I wouldn't be surprised if you're having the same issue. On a side note, my drive belt only lasts around a year or so too. What happened to quality control?

Back