Cold air intake system help needed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake system help needed!

archaicOne53

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4.0L V6
Trying to find the best cold air intake system for 2000 Explorer XLS 4.0 V6 4x4? Thank you to anyone who could help! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to find the best cold air intake system for 2000 Explorer XLS 4.0 V6 4x4? Thank you to anyone who could help! :D

Which 4.0? (There are two). Most XLS came with OHV in '00, but SOHC isn't unheard of either (and only one available in '01). The air intake applications are different across the two engines. There are scores of threads in the archives. Once you determine which engine you have, one or both of the site's search tools will serve you well.

Welcome to the site.

I orderd a K&N air intake from Autoanything.com. Its amazing the difference it makes when your truck can breathe. If you want a certain brand I cant help you there, K&N is my first an only air intake system.

I have an AFE on my 4.0 SOHC V6 and it added plenty of power. It's a cnc'd adapter that bolts to the stock intake tube so you don't have to mess around with the MAFS. Autoanything carries it.

Just go with a K/N setup, replacement parts are easily to access, and proven track record for great performance.

thanks for everyone who responded! I think the K and N is the way to go, my engine is a OHV. Next I guess a new exhaust = D anyone know of a good one with a pure deep sound for a Ex

Just go with a K/N setup, replacement parts are easily to access, and proven track record for great performance.

and over-oiled filters and high prices. Sorry, I don't buy into the K&N marketing hype. I'd go MAC if they're available for the OHC. Better yet, make your own for a lot less.

and over-oiled filters and high prices. Sorry, I don't buy into the K&N marketing hype. I'd go MAC if they're available for the OHC. Better yet, make your own for a lot less.

Opinions are free!

thanks for everyone who responded! I think the K and N is the way to go, my engine is a OHV. Next I guess a new exhaust = D anyone know of a good one with a pure deep sound for a Ex

My EX has a Gibson stainless cat back. Looks great and sounds great too. It's louder while idling and under acceleration. But at highway speeds, (65-105) :x, it's not annoyingly loud.

Opinions are free!

I have two K&N cone filters in my garage and both were too greasy, right out of the box. Over-oiled filters will foul your MAF and cause all sorts of grief. I use Amsoil oil-less filters for that reason.

Given that all air intake kits pretty much work the same from the el cheapo eBay kits up to K&N (on the price scale), I never saw the advantages of going K&N. As before, they've got the marketing thing down well because I see a lot of people falling for them, and not just in the Explorer game.

If you're going full kit, MAC is a better buy (usually about $50/less). The $50 is money better spent elsewhere, IMHO.

I have two K&N cone filters in my garage and both were too greasy, right out of the box. Over-oiled filters will foul your MAF and cause all sorts of grief. I use Amsoil oil-less filters for that reason.

Given that all air intake kits pretty much work the same from the el cheapo eBay kits up to K&N (on the price scale)

I never experienced the over oiled out of the box ordeal, not to say it couldn't happen, I just never experienced it. I have bought many variances including MAC in the CAI department, from my few Mustangs to my Lincoln to my trucks. And if it did happen I would just clean and re-oil it, by no means would I not use it at that point. I agree 100% that it will (filter oil) cause havoc with possible fouling of sensor's and mis-reading's if overly oiled.

MAC is a good company and one I would recommend to all as well. But the ease for someone to replace something needed due to breakage or corrosion or the such can sometimes be harder to get if not carried in the auto store. Sometimes you can not wait on the Brown Express to deliver when in desperate need.

In general they all work the same in theory. But in my 40 yrs, I have tried many different setups, and combinations, and some I will just say work and others work great. But I can say that a cheapo filter or piecing together tubing or rigging up MAF sensor collars can cause HAVOC in itself. What you think is a self made piecing together genius of a job can sometimes be less productive and actually be counter productive for HP or less air restrictive efforts.

But I do agree with you with alot you said. It is everyone's job on here to give productive feedback on here to those that ask for advice or help. And the more they know, the better they can make wise choices. :salute::usa:

I like my K & N FIPK.

I ran a KKM for about 6 years with good results. It's a K&N without the tube for $100 cheaper. However, I'm not sure they're making them anymore. My truck isn't an option on their site anymore and my email went unanswered. I switched to an Amsoil EaAU filter last week.

Back