Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Early 2007 ST - Rear Frame Rust

Discussion in '2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac' started by BigBlockWagon, September 10, 2019 at 1:28 PM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BigBlockWagon

BigBlockWagon New Member

City, State:
    South Hadley, Massachusetts
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 Sport Trac Limited
    I have an early 2007 Sport Trac Limited 4.6 V8 in what I thought was good condition. I noticed the trailing arm bushings were bad so I replaced them but in the process, I noticed some pretty bad frame rust in the area of the rear suspension. This is a 1 owner truck always maintained by a Ford dealer which is where I purchased it 2 years ago. Has anyone else found this with your ST?
    Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Tike

Tike Active Member

City, State:
    Greater Philadelphia
    08 Ford Sport Trac XLT
    i took my bed off. 4 bolts. to in bed. 2 in bed storage ( have a flange on the head to prevent sniping -be careful not to break them. then a few screws for gas neck and cover. along with 2/3 wire harness clips. and then me and 2 friends lifted it off. its fiberglass so its very light. then i wire wheeled anything loose power washed. let dry and sprayed with OSPHO (converts iron oxide to iron phosphate i believe ) then i epoxy primed and painted. no issues in 4 years. Philadelphia / NJ living.

4. BigBlockWagon

BigBlockWagon New Member

City, State:
    South Hadley, Massachusetts
    2007 Sport Trac Limited
    Sounds like what I've got planned for the most part. I have Corroseal which does the same thing as you described, back in the early 80's I ran a body shop where we maintained a fleet of rental trucks where making them last was priority one and while it was another brand name it was the same product back then and it worked great! Epoxy primer is an added plus too. My only worry is getting as much coverage as possible inside of the boxed frame! As far as my topcoat goes I'm planning on good ol' oil-based Rustoleum semi-gloss as I have in past automotive frame restos including the pro-street 1954 Ford Tudor sedan I built from the frame up many years ago. If that worked on your Trac in the Philly area I'm sure it'll do the job up here in Massachusetts!
    Thanks for the info :cool2:

5. Tike

Tike Active Member

City, State:
    Greater Philadelphia
    08 Ford Sport Trac XLT

i used a product by EASTON to coat inside the frame rails- basically a anti rust type paint / converter which a long tube and multi-directional head for the spray after getting a air nozzle and blowing out as much crud as i could.

i get some rust on the hitch and B the under body between the front and rear doors as water runs down that way. . i just do a quick wire wheel and spray with that ospho evey couple O months ~5minutes work