Front Bumper Bolts will not budge. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Bumper Bolts will not budge.

SwampFox89

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
So I'm taking off my old brush guard to sell to a buddy of mine. The whole thing came off easier than it went on except for the very last nut that holds the bracket on. This is one of the nuts on the back side of the front bumper (more specifically the one furthest to the passenger side.) Whenever I turn my wrench, the entire bolts just slips and turns. I've tried P B'laster and a hammer and swearing but now the entire bolt just slips easier than it did before. I also can't get the plastic bumper cover off because of the sheet metal screws on the backside of that.

Any suggestions? I wanna avoid taking a dremel tool or a torch to anything because I wanna sell this truck in the near future, but I'm not above it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried a nut splitter?

nah, she doesn't know anything about cars.

Kidding, I don't have one, but a buddy of mine works at Advance Auto, so he may be able to hook me up.

Your going to have to cut it off. You can try:
A nut splitter (as already mentioned)
A torch
A dremel
A hacksaw
A hammer and chisel

And, now he bumper is most likely rounded out so you will not be able to tighten the new nut, unless you are extremely lucky. If you are lucky, you better go buy a lottery ticket.

So here's what I did.

I took off the access flappy thingies that let you get to the headlights.
Then I took out the turn signal lamps.
Then I took of that silly round piece that goes around the headlights and grill.
Then I took off the grill assembly and headlights.
All of that gave me access to the little sheet metal screws at the top of my bumper cover.

That led me to this point.
320791_10150353533256417_500141416_8433983_788686077_n.jpg

I found the head of that wascally bumper bolt, shoved two screwdriver heads around the head so it couldn't spin, and went to town on that nut.

By God I got it off. It took me four hours and two beers and almost a can of PB'laster.

Back