Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

headlight switch connector question

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Rhett, April 2, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 Sport 4x4
    So I had some intermittent blinking of my interior lights. Knowing the ol fried headlight switch issues we sometimes have, I pulled the dash and pulled the switch and its connector.... Burned.jpg

Yeah. Ouch! And the switch is getting replaced too. The resistance and heat there got the switch too.

Anyway, I purchased a new plug at AutoZone. It's *almost* identical. First, the OEM connector...

Old_harn.JPG

Above is the stock connector. Notice the two brown wires coming out of the center socket. Per my wiring manual those two wires go to the rear (tail lights). Unless I'm mis-reading my diagram (which is possible)

Now look at the connector I got from AutoZone...

New_harn.JPG

As you can see, one brown wire coming from that same center socket. Now the big question for you electrical guys...

Will I be ok splicing the one into the two? Thanks for any insight

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bemidji, MN
    94 4x4 Sport 88k
    Sure, no problem. If you had two small wires coming from the connector position, and the new connector has one large one, then splicing is the right thing to do.

On the two brown wires, one goes to the taillights. The other triggers the chime for leaving your lights on.

4. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    94 Sport 4x4
    Ok thanks.

Those extra wires on the left side of the new connector -- from what I gather those are for things like Daytime Running Lights or other features that my truck doesn't have. That would be the yellow-black and orange-black wires in the pic. I guess I will just leave them to dangle in there.

5. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Phoenix, AZ.
    1994 Explorer Limited
    Second wire is for tow package. (trailer lights) just splice them together like roadrunner said.